Jeter - Great Leader? - look again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter - Great Leader? - look again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Response

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:56 pm

JV - You never answered the question!!! It was a simple question!!!

JV writes
"Its not necessary to address the media. At what point will it be necessary? That's the thing. "If ur so hurt by it, why don't you write Derek Jeter a letter about it"..because I am not the Great Captain who is suppose to look out for ALL his players! They are coming back to Bronx on Thursday. "He probably directly said it in words of Giambi but Giambi was coming back from loads of problems, albeit the steroid allegation was in there, but Giambi was sick from other problems." - so stick up for the guy who admitted to using steriods, but not for a 1st ballot Hall of Famer who is going through a rough a period. YOU CANT DO IT FOR ONE PLAYER AND NOT FOR ANOTHER. Its so clear that Jeter has allowed his personal dislike for ARod to blind him from the task at hand, which is to stand up for your teammate.

JV further writes:"Arod is going thru a slump like many other players. Miguel Cabrera isn't going to tell the Florida reporters that we are 100 percent behind Josh Willingham because he is hitting at a .050 clip the last week". Exactly its a slump , yet here in New York they are flame broiling ARod for everything including Global Warming. When other IMPORTED YANKEES have slumped as bad as ARod has - the fans havent responded the same way. To compare what happens in Florida to what happends here is just plain dumb on every level "Arods slump gets put on a pedestal cuz Texas gave him that huge contract where he is the games highest paid player." So because a team decided to overpay him much like the Yankee overpaid Jeter its ok to treat ARod like a leper? "So he has these high expectations where fans will boo when he doesnt come thru. Albeit, its just a slump. He knows he's going to get thru it. The whole team knows he is gonna heat up. " How long does it have to go on for before someone goes public and supports ARod? another month, another 2 months?

JV futher writes: "Point is, its NOT necessary for Jeter to stand up and add more speculation to what the MEDIA has created. " Not necessary? When will it be become necessary? If Jeter had a pair and spoke in defense of his teammate - what speculation would that add? and What would that cost? "The great captain is doing his job by not addressing another player's slump to the media, BUT keeping his team focused on whoever they play on the calendar that given day!" Great player - YES, Great Captain NO - A Great Captain would not allow is personal agenda to get in the way of doing whats best for the team. Enough already Jeter is a great player just not all that when it comes to being a captain.
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 610
Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: just mentioned J Torre

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:09 am

acsguitar wrote:
SonsofSlam04 wrote:Its a team's captain responsibility to look after ALL of his teammates, not just select ones. Jeter went public for Giambi why doesnt he for ARod? Cause Jeter allows his personal dislike for ARod to get in the way of what's best for the team. In case you are wondering what's best for the team - it would be best to reestablish ARod's confidence and have him play up to his potential, let the fans know that the Yankee organization is behind ARod and that they are confident that he will rise once again - This would be a good thing for the Yankee team!


Jeters job is not to criticize the fans. It is also not his job to stand up for other grown men.

Do you know Jeter? How do you know he dislikes Arod?

Anyways this post makes no sense. Jeter bashing is pretty pointless the guy has been nothing but a class act since he got in the league.


You claim to be a Yankee fan but you don't know it?? Jeter and A-Rod don't get along.

405z06 wrote:But where would the Yankees be without Jeter's 6 home runs and mediocre defense?

What's that? Oh....yeah.....probably second place.


27 more posts like that and you might be a HOF'er. ;-7

jvmillion83 wrote:
bluejkrew wrote:Why is this thread so long??

Jeter is a great leader, period. There could be PLENTY of reasons why he's not telling the fans to lay off a-rod. Comparing to all the great things he's done for the team, this has very little weight in portraying his leadership.

As for comparing their clutch performances, most people will agree that Jeter is the better clutch hitter (he DID have more playoff experience, and usually came through). However, labeling A-rod as a choker I believe is very premature, and mostly media-driven. The only time you can say he choked was his double play grounder in last year's ALDS. However, there is NO WAY that he should be responsible for the 2004 ALCS. If Mariano didn't blow the save in Game 4, the yankees would have swept and arod could have easily been the MVP for that series.

Also, many people are under the assumption that Yankee fans are stupid for booing the reignin AL-MVP. The last time I went to Yankee Stadium, fans cheered him every time he got up to bat and even chanted "LETS-GO-A-ROD". It's only afterwards when he grounds out that they start to boo. Most sports coverage programs do not mention this, and thus make yankee fans worse than they actually are.

That is all I have to say.


Well said. The Yankees ran out of gas as a team in 04 ALCS, not to discredit anything that the Red Sox accomplished but they lost any kind of momentum. It wasn't Arods fault, it wasn't Jeter's fault, it was the team's fault.

I agree with the media being way too biased here on omitting that fans are actually cheering for Arod. Unlike alot of baseball fans out there, I actually go to alot of the games, and Arod gets alot of cheers. As a matter of fact, the media puts this unfair bias that the Yankee crowd atmosphere is just negative. As a matter of fact, its a fricken party at every home game if u ever been there. Yeah there have been instances where they would be down 2 runs in the 7th and Arod would strike out with a few runners on and a loud bunch of boos come on. Its part of the game. Its not like Yankee fans hate Arod. They are just unhappy at spur of moment.

As long as NESPN is residing in Bristol, CT, hiring comm majors out of Harvard, Boston College, PC, Quinnipiac, or maybe Uconn, there is going to be an anti-Yankee bias at ESPN. And anytime they have an opportunity to jump on throats of Yankee fans and the team they ARE gonna do it.


Are those the people sitting in the stands?? I don't think so. ;-)

SonsofSlam04 wrote:I just mentioned his name (Joe Torre). By the way is there ANYONE in the Yankee organization capable of showing ARod a little support. Forget Jeter he has allowed his personal agenda to get in the way of supporting ARod.

Anyone? Bueller?


Torre does at any possible chance. ;-)
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: just mentioned J Torre

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:11 am

TheYanks04 wrote:
giants! wrote:
SonsofSlam04 wrote:I just mentioned his name (Joe Torre). By the way is there ANYONE in the Yankee organization capable of showing ARod a little support. Forget Jeter he has allowed his personal agenda to get in the way of supporting ARod.

Anyone? Bueller?


Brian Cashman has if it means anything to you



LMAO. I am sure he does.

"But George, I know he does nothing in the playoffs, but I am telling you he won the MVP.
No I am not pulling your leg George.
Yes George I know you spend 205 Million on the team.
Yes George I know we draw 4 million crazy fans a year now.
Yes George I know I make 3 million a year.
Yes George I know you brought in Sheffield and Matsui.
Yes George I know what the goal is here."


In the least, you should send A-Rod a Christmas card for you being a HOF Hero here because you would have 10 posts without him. :-°
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: just mentioned J Torre

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:12 am

Lofunzo wrote:Torre does at any possible chance. ;-)


so torre does backup arod regularly? it's odd that ive never once seen him do that. but what isnt odd about this entire situation i guess.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Re: Response

Postby jvmillion83 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:14 am

"so stick up for the guy who admitted to using steriods, but not for a 1st ballot Hall of Famer who is going through a rough a period. YOU CANT DO IT FOR ONE PLAYER AND NOT FOR ANOTHER. Its so clear that Jeter has allowed his personal dislike for ARod to blind him from the task at hand, which is to stand up for your teammate"

- Giambi mightve admitted to using steroids but he was sick; you don't know if it has to do with steroids, but he had major health problems. Again Arods going thru a slump like others. Thats totally different. I feel sorry that ESPN media has brainwashed you into thinking that the whole Yankees clubhouse including Jeter and Arod is watching their coverage 24/7. ESPN is making a big deal about Arod slumping. Arod, Jeter and everybody knows its minor, so everyones whining about a moot point. You actually think that the clubhouse is thinking about this? They are probably laughing it off like they have done for years. Arod just knows its a bad stretch. He knows hes almost out of it. Again sonsofslam, ur another Red Sox fan brainwashed by ESPN media, thinking the Yankee clubhouse is tainted with so much friction, because Michelle Bonner, Karl Ravech, Brian Kenney and all these other jerkoffs who grew up as Red Sox fans make it out to be what they want..... because they are the main medium that delivers the news to you.


Exactly its a slump , yet here in New York they are flame broiling ARod for everything including Global Warming. When other IMPORTED YANKEES have slumped as bad as ARod has - the fans havent responded the same way. To compare what happens in Florida to what happends here is just plain dumb on every level

- You are exaggerating heavily that Yankee fans are blaming him for everything. Now again, this is mostly because you watch ESPN and they have blown this slump way out of proportion, including that fake trade rumor that somehow Arod was going to be traded. Something that some baseball expert made up, and a rumor that had nothing to do with the Yankees organization. How about our mainstream media?


So because a team decided to overpay him much like the Yankee overpaid Jeter its ok to treat ARod like a leper?
- If anyones treating ARod like a leper its the media, by blowing this slump way out of proportion. The fans have had their moments where they were angry with Arod not coming through, but its NY deal with it. But the media feeds off this garbage, and if you think that they weren't going to have a field day with this, you gotta be kidding urself.

How long does it have to go on for before someone goes public and supports ARod? another month, another 2 months?

What is your definition of support? Jeter already went on record with "I support Alex and I support my teammates". If you've been following the Yankees all year, this is best clubhouse they've had in awhile. Theres unconditional support all around. Even support that is not reported in the papers, or ESPN (like I expect that they would ever say anything positive about the Yankees). Again, ESPN is trying to convince the viewer that Arods slump is affecting the clubhouse, and the majority of NYY fans think he should be traded. If you actually are in clubhouse, if you actually go to games, its a different story. They don't care about reporting the good. ESPN is like MTV trying to make the New York Yankees like the Real World or something.

If Jeter had a pair and spoke in defense of his teammate - what speculation would that add? and What would that cost?
- Its not necessary because its not a problem. You don't know how Arod is handling his slump. You are not Arod. You don't know the true severity of NYY fans' likeness to Arod, because ESPN paints you a very black picture of it. Jeter, Arod and alot of those guys on the team are very tight and I bet they are in Arlington hotel lobby laughing at Arods comments on how ESPN has handled this.


Great player - YES, Great Captain NO - A Great Captain would not allow is personal agenda to get in the way of doing whats best for the team. Enough already Jeter is a great player just not all that hen it comes to being a captain.
- You obviously don't follow alot of baseball. You take a poll of all baseball players and Derek Jeter will get voted the best captain out of all of em. To say that hes not a great captain is totally absurd. You really have brought nothing to the table to prove your points on Jeter being a "bad captain". I really dont know what a Red Sox fan is doing in first place, wasting his time with all this speculation on the rival team. I've been following this team closely since the Mattingly days and you obviously don't know Jeter and how his presence rubs off on everyone. I would consider ur argument if NYY fans threw stuff on field at Arod after he struck out, or if Arod cried in postgame interview that NYY fans were being harsh on him, OR if fans tracked down Arod after the game to put an assult on him. But we are getting worked up from some recent boos... and that is all. And thats what ARod, Jeter and rest of Yankees see it as. They dont see it as a personal attack like you do.
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 215
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: just mentioned J Torre

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:20 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Torre does at any possible chance. ;-)


so torre does backup arod regularly? it's odd that ive never once seen him do that. but what isnt odd about this entire situation i guess.


Not sure where you live but I am in the NY area so I listen to every postgame interview and radio show. Do you??
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Re: just mentioned J Torre

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:21 am

Lofunzo wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:Torre does at any possible chance. ;-)


so torre does backup arod regularly? it's odd that ive never once seen him do that. but what isnt odd about this entire situation i guess.


Not sure where you live but I am in the NY area so I listen to every postgame interview and radio show. Do you??


obviously not that's why im asking the questions.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:26 am

so if torre has arods back and it's not changing anything, why should jeter even try? this whole situation puts a black eye on yankee fans everywhere.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:26 am

And, jvmillion.......I will touch on your statements. A-Rod gets a raw deal from the fans. There is no questioning it. It all stems from the Sox series. The bad thing is that after game 3, no one other than Matsui and Bernie hit. Do Sheffield or Jeter get any insults?? No. It is all directed towards A-Rod. His numbers aren't what they should be this season but they are still decent. He also has plenty of time to turn it around. The reigning MVP of the league and he gets his balls broken constantly. That sucks. :-t :-t
Image
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby Ajax » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:38 am

Maybe one of the things that makes somebody a good leader, is knowing when to act, and when not to.

Maybe Jeter figured that Giambi needed somebody on the team to stick up for him, and maybe he figures that A-Rod doesn't. Maybe A-Rod asked him not to.

Maybe it's a little silly for us folks that only play fantasy ball to question the leadership of guys that actually go out on the field every day.

Those who can't do, teach. And those that can't even teach, preach.
Ajax
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 188
Joined: 18 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 0:25 hours
(and 97 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact