Jeter - Great Leader? - look again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter - Great Leader? - look again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:12 pm

bigh0rt wrote:David Wright is a better leader than Derek Jeter is. B-)

Maybe so.

But he ain't got the calm eyes... B-) B-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:17 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
biju wrote:Not that I care to get into the "politics" of the Yankees, but did anyone stop to think that maybe Jeter is actually helping him by not standing up for him?

You don't create leaders by letting them cower in the corner while you cover for their ass.

That isn't why Jeter isn't doing it though. Maybe it will make A-Rod stronger, but that's not Jeter's purpose. Otherwise, why did he stand up for Giambi, who used drugs to increase his performance, and absolutely SCREWED the Yankees for about 2 years of his contract (including the 2004 season, which Yanks04 likes to moan about so much)?

Eh, good point.

I guess I just think that A-Rod has the potential to be a great leader as well as a great player (oh man, my fingertips burn just typing that) and maybe Jeter sees that in him.

Then again, he might just not like A-Rod. I can certainly share in that sentiment being from Seattle.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

I disagree

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:25 pm

Jeter does not like ARod - its pretty clear, I watch the games intently. I do not fault Derek for not liking ARod, but a great leader puts the best interest of the team ahead of his personal feelings. Jeter stood up for Giambi why doesn't he stand up for ARod. If Jeter would ever put his personal differences aside and stick up for his teammate - Jeter would be even more reveered, not only as a great player but as a great leader.
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:27 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:David Wright is a better leader than Derek Jeter is. B-)

Maybe so.

But he ain't got the calm eyes... B-) B-)

The calm eyes seem to be the trump card. :-°
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby TheOmen » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:32 pm

Jeter leads on the field better than any player I have seen in the last 20 years. And he does it when it counts too, not just in May. If he came out and said "layoff A-rod", arod would be looked at as a little child who needs protection. Giambi didn't look like that at all. In fact, Giambi has always been rather honest through his career.

Also keep in mind, Giambi has never been given a 175 million contract for the being the best player in the world, arod has. That plays a part in all this. As far as fan reaction goes. "You're the best player in the world? Deal with it!"
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Jeter - Great Leader? - look again

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:36 pm

SonsofSlam04 wrote:Two times Jeter has had the opportunity to protect ARod - once in the off season when the Boston Red Sox were ripping ARod daily - His response then was "thats life deal with it"

In all honesty that is part of being a Yankee. If anytime someone said something about someone on the Yankees and Jeter had to pop up and take up for them, he wouldn't have time to actually play the game.

SonsofSlam04 wrote:And of course the last few weeks when the New York media has made it unbearable for ARod to do anything without getting flamed broiled.

As for this, it goes with the territory. As much as I like ARod, he does need to learn to deal with getting slammed when you play terribly, because it's part of being a Yankee. Also, do you know for a fact Jeter hasn't gone to ARod and talked to him about whats going on and try to help him through it? Of course you don't. I don't think he has to defend him in the media for him to necessarily be a good leader.

BronXBombers51 wrote:
That isn't why Jeter isn't doing it though. Maybe it will make A-Rod stronger, but that's not Jeter's purpose. Otherwise, why did he stand up for Giambi, who used drugs to increase his performance, and absolutely SCREWED the Yankees for about 2 years of his contract (including the 2004 season, which Yanks04 likes to moan about so much)?

There is no way that you can know that for sure. I can't say that it isn't, but you can't just state it as a fact that Jeter isn't trying to help ARod by letting him play his way back into the fans favor.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:47 pm

TheOmen wrote:Jeter leads on the field better than any player I have seen in the last 20 years. And he does it when it counts too, not just in May. If he came out and said "layoff A-rod", arod would be looked at as a little child who needs protection. Giambi didn't look like that at all. In fact, Giambi has always been rather honest through his career.

Also keep in mind, Giambi has never been given a 175 million contract for the being the best player in the world, arod has. That plays a part in all this. As far as fan reaction goes. "You're the best player in the world? Deal with it!"

Why would A-Rod be looked at as a child and Giambi not? That makes zero sense. A-Rod hasn't even done anything to warrant boos. He won the frigging MVP last year. Giambi took steroids.

By the way, Giambi was given $120 million dollars over 7 years. That's nothing to scoff at.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:48 pm

1337_Dude wrote:There is no way that you can know that for sure. I can't say that it isn't, but you can't just state it as a fact that Jeter isn't trying to help ARod by letting him play his way back into the fans favor.

Then why did he do it for Giambi?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:52 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:There is no way that you can know that for sure. I can't say that it isn't, but you can't just state it as a fact that Jeter isn't trying to help ARod by letting him play his way back into the fans favor.

Then why did he do it for Giambi?

Giambi at the same time had the cancer scare didn't he? Perhaps he thought the moral support would help him through that? I don't know for sure and i'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying you can't state something like that as a fact, because it's not...it's your opinion.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brandnew » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:54 pm

I feel a 20 page thread coming on.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext