Jeter - Great Leader? - look again - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter - Great Leader? - look again

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeter - Great Leader? - look again

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:46 pm

In today's New York Daily News sports section page#52, there is an interesting article. It seems that D Jeter was asked again why he doesnt go public and ask the fans to lay off of ARod - his response "My job is to support him, to offer any support I can and that's what I do - with all my teammates." Jeter said. "That's my job. My job isn't to tell fans what to do. What power do I have to do that?"
This is such a lame response. His job as team captain is to set the example on and off the field - which to his credit - he does. In addition to setting the example his other responsibility as team captain is to protect his teammates - in this case ARod.
Funny how after J Giambi came back from his steriod fiasco, Jeter went public and asked the fans for support, gee that seems like he asked the fans for support. Why doesn't he do the same for ARod? Its clear that ARod does care, perhaps too much and its definitely taking a toll on his play especially in the field.
Two times Jeter has had the opportunity to protect ARod - once in the off season when the Boston Red Sox were ripping ARod daily - His response then was "thats life deal with it"
And of course the last few weeks when the New York media has made it unbearable for ARod to do anything without getting flamed broiled.
Jeter step up, protect your teammate - whether you like him or not you stand a much better chance for success if ARod starts to produce! Stop allowing your personal feelings for ARod to get in the way of the team's best interest. Do what it takes to be a great leader!
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 405z06 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:54 pm

That's a lot of drama for a baseball team. We don't have those issues in the midwest.
405z06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:28 pm

Shut up. Jeter is one of the best leaders in baseball and is respected by everyone. Asking the fans to lay off ARod would make it worse - people would get all over ARod for being a baby and having Jeter take care of his business.

And in the winter, was Jeter supposed to trash the Sox back? That's not what Jeter does, he is a very respectful player.

And this is from a Sox fan.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:42 pm

Really. Like Jeter is supposed to stick his neck out and tell NY fans to love a guy they hate? Like he should have done this with Jeff Weaver or Kevin Brown too? Get real. Arod makes 25 M and is no rookie. He digs his own hole and if he earns the wrath of the NY fans because he is a pompous, choking loser it is not Jeter's responsibility to fall on his sword for him and tell the fans they are wrong.

Yeah I can see it now, lay off my "buddy" Arod fans. It is not his fault he had 0 Hrs and 0 rbis in the ALDS in 2005...or did nothing to earn that 25 M in the 3 or 4 hole in the 2004 ALCS games 4-7 leading to a Red Sox victory and the BIGGEST CHOKE in sports history. I mean come on, he hits Travis Harper well. And he does have a nice glove slap technique.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:00 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:...or did nothing to earn that 25 M in the 3 or 4 hole in the 2004 ALCS games 4-7 leading to a Red Sox victory and the BIGGEST CHOKE in sports history.

I know!!

How is Jeter going to say that about A-Rod when Jeter did the same thing?

Stop being fools. The fact of the matter is, Jeter didn't step up for A-Rod. He did for Giambi. That's the bottom line. Now, Jeter doesn't get paid to protect A-Rod, but if he really wanted to be the 'captain,' he would, just as he did for Giambi.

Oh, and by the way, Yanks04, if the Yankee fans "hate" A-Rod so much, why do they give him great ovations everytime he comes to the plate? The Stadium gives him as big an ovation as Giambi or Jeter when he steps up. They boo him when he makes out though.

You see Yanks04, the difference between real Yankees fans, and people like you, is that real Yankee fans want to see A-Rod succeed. They actually cheer for him. They might boo him (which I feel is wrong as well), but it's because of their frustration. They do not hate A-Rod, unlike you. You root against him, simply so that when he does come through for the team, you don't look like a fool (which you do to yourself anyway, but just don't realize).
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

You guys just dont get it

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:03 pm

Jeter the "Ball Player" is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer no questions!
As for being a leader I dont think he is the great leader everyone thinks he is.

One of the Team captain responsibilty is to take care of his teammates. Jeter has NOT done that with ARod - end of story!

He has allowed his personal dislike for ARod to get in the way of being a great captain! Call a spade a spade. He is still a great player (Jeter)
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Well Put

Postby SonsofSlam04 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:05 pm

Kudos for you "Bronx Bomber" I couldnt have said it any better!
SonsofSlam04
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby biju » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:06 pm

Not that I care to get into the "politics" of the Yankees, but did anyone stop to think that maybe Jeter is actually helping him by not standing up for him?

You don't create leaders by letting them cower in the corner while you cover for their ass.
biju
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:08 pm

biju wrote:Not that I care to get into the "politics" of the Yankees, but did anyone stop to think that maybe Jeter is actually helping him by not standing up for him?

You don't create leaders by letting them cower in the corner while you cover for their ass.

That isn't why Jeter isn't doing it though. Maybe it will make A-Rod stronger, but that's not Jeter's purpose. Otherwise, why did he stand up for Giambi, who used drugs to increase his performance, and absolutely SCREWED the Yankees for about 2 years of his contract (including the 2004 season, which Yanks04 likes to moan about so much)?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:10 pm

David Wright is a better leader than Derek Jeter is. B-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers