HoF Discussion: Barry Larkin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HoF Discussion: Barry Larkin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HoF Discussion: Barry Larkin

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:22 am

At Bat: Barry Larkin

One of the premier Shortstops across 3 separate decades, Barry Larkin retired at the age of 40, compiling 2,340 Major League Hits, 198 HR, 960 RBI, 379 Stolen Bases, 441 Doubles, and 1,329 Runs scored. He looks back on a career .295 AVG, .371 OBP, and .444 SLG. Larkin posted a career 116 OPS+, 5.92 RC/27, 1,311 Runs Created, 355 BRAA, and 120.9 WARP3.

A 12-time All-Star, spanning 1988 all the way to 2004, Larkin was also presented with the 1993 Roberto Clemente Award, 1994 Lou Gherig Memorial Award, and was the 1995 NL MVP. He won the Gold Glove for shortstops in 3 consecutive seasons, 1994 - 96, and compiled 9 Silver Sluggers.

(again, I'm having issues copy/pasting, so if someone could post his HoF monitor stats, that'd be great)

Remember, NO FLAMING/INSTIGATIN'!!!

Enjoy! ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:30 am

Gray Ink: Batting - 66 (362) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards: Batting - 46.9 (91) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor: Batting - 118.5 (114) (Likely HOFer > 100)

Can't find the "black ink"
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:44 pm

His career numbers are plagued by his wrist injuries and memories of his range at short going extinct at the tail end of his career will keep him out.

But without the injuries he's one of the greatest shorstops of all time.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby schmidty » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:07 pm

I think he'll go in eventually -- though probably not on the first ballot. And I think he should. He was the best SS in the NL for a long stretch. Despite being thought of as a hitter, he was a terrific defender until the late stages of his career. The injuries keep him from being a no-brainer 1st ballot HoFer, but I still think he has enough to merit getting in.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby stevekahuda » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:28 pm

The current crop of hard hitting allstars will hurt him since their careers overlapped. But for the first part of his career, it was pretty much just him and Ripken for offensive shortstops. I would say no based on his contemporaries during the last third of his career. If this were the 70s or 80s, I would vote him in
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:22 pm

Career Stats:
Larkin
AVG = .295
OPS = .815

Ripken, Jr.
AVG = .276
OPS = .787

Ripken played in about 900 more games than Larkin over relatively the same amount of time. Quite a shame because I really, really believe he will never be voted into the HOF.
Even more frustrating is that Jeter will, how sad.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ukrneal » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:29 pm

I think he should be in. Here is my case.

Until recently, very few players could do what he did. He had speed, power, great defense, and grace. Very few players had the full package as he did.

He is among am elite rank of players who had a 30-30 year, certainly an oddity at SS (and the first to do so at the position, if I'm not mistaken). His top 3 win shares are better than Jeter, Nomar, and Ozzie. His range was about 10% above average for his career and up to 30% better in any given year. For 10 years, he had about 10% fewer errors while putting up above average production during that time. Only hald a dozen players have averaged as many win shares per 162 games as he has. He was probably the best SS in the NL for 7-10 years, certainly the most complete.

Some will say he should be compared against modern counterpoints, and even so he has done well. He reminds me of Robin Yount, except that he continued to play SS until the very end. He also compares well to Ryne Sandberg, who played a similarly difficult position. Comparing average, OBP, etc. he comapres quite well.

He was the undisputed leader of the team for years, much like Jeter is for the Yankees.

I guess the injuries will be his undoing in the end.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stevekahuda » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:36 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:Career Stats:
Larkin
AVG = .295
OPS = .815

Ripken, Jr.
AVG = .276
OPS = .787

Ripken played in about 900 more games than Larkin over relatively the same amount of time. Quite a shame because I really, really believe he will never be voted into the HOF.

Besides his offense, Ripken is in for a totally different reason
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:42 pm

stevekahuda wrote:
Larkin
AVG = .295
OPS = .815

Ripken, Jr.
AVG = .276
OPS = .787

What reason? Are you implying that the consecutive games streak is why Ripken is int he Hall?? :-? We already had an entire several page debate on him that spoke the contrary.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:50 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
stevekahuda wrote:
Larkin
AVG = .295
OPS = .815

Ripken, Jr.
AVG = .276
OPS = .787

What reason? Are you implying that the consecutive games streak is why Ripken is int he Hall?? :-? We already had an entire several page debate on him that spoke the contrary.

If Larkin doesn't go in 1st or 2nd ballot to me it will prove that the consecutive games streak IS what got Ripken in. I was being modest before, but really Larkin was a far superior hitter, fielder, and clutch performer.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers