Hillenbrand and Chulk for Accardo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Hillenbrand and Chulk for Accardo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hillenbrand and Chulk for Accardo

Postby sportsguy80 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:52 am

I just saw this on Blue Jays.com

Shea Hillenbrand and Vinnie Chulk were traded to the Giants for Jeremy Accardo

I don't know what to think of this trade. I guess it was the best offer they could accept

What do you guys think. I don't think Accardo is the answer to our bullpen

heres the article

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/ ... p&c_id=tor

Owner of the Toronto Blue Jays in the Strike Zone Dynasty
sportsguy80
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby go_jays_go » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:08 am

Sad to see Chulk go but I think Accardo will do fine in Toronto. If I'm not mistaken people in SF wanted him to close when Benetiz was struggling. I've seen him pitch a couple times on Extra Innings and he looks pretty legit.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsguy138 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:14 am

havent ever seen him pitch..

but supposably he has hard stuff..

hopefully hell be able to do well as a middle relief ;-D
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 404)

Postby sportsguy80 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:21 am

I never really liked Chulk so it doesn't really bug me that hes gone and we all know Shea had to get traded.

I took a look at Accardo's stats

appeared in 38 games

1-3 W-L 40.1IP 38 Hits 11BB 40K's and a 4.91 ERA

Not bad he's only in his second big league season hopefully he can turn into a very special pitcher for us.

sportsguy80
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:56 am

Great deal. Far better than what I was hoping for. Hopefully Accardo can step up and fill our 7th inning role. If Frasor returns soon, the bullpen isn't looking too bad anymore. He's also young with a lot of room for improvement, and can likely fill our 8th inning role if Speier leaves as a much cheaper replacement. Accardo has great stuff, and he was supposedly the Giants' closer of the future.

As for Vinnie, well he simply isn't that great, Accardo is a big improvement on him.

Another reason I like the deal is that it frees up 2 million for us to possibly use on a deadline deal (Lugo, maybe?).

Oh and good riddance to Shea. What a joke that guy was. :-t
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:11 am

Supposed to be a deal for the future. Word is that at this point Chulk is better than Accardo but Accardo has more promise for the future. Makes me wonder what the plan is. :-?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:25 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Supposed to be a deal for the future. Word is that at this point Chulk is better than Accardo but Accardo has more promise for the future. Makes me wonder what the plan is. :-?

You reading Rotoworld's comments? Chulk is nowhere near as good as Accardo is, they obviously have not seen enough of the two of them.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bdrotoronto » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:33 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Supposed to be a deal for the future. Word is that at this point Chulk is better than Accardo but Accardo has more promise for the future. Makes me wonder what the plan is. :-?

Chulk can never be any better than he already is (which ain't good), but Accardo has lots of room for improvement and growth. The Jays bullpen can use a lot of help, so he is a promising prospect. Accardo also had three saves for the Giants this year, which was third on the team (Benitez/Worrell).

As for Hillenbrand, he really had to go, the Jays have plenty of offence to go around this year, and if he didn't want to be here then he really wasn't helping the cause. It's hard to understand why he seesm to consistently think he's so much better than his numbers indicate--every year he ends up with like a .290-.300 average and like 15-20 HR's. Decent numbers, but nothing special, and certainly not out of the 1B/3B spots, which are supposed to be power positions. His defence is nothing special either.

Good riddance I say. If Hillenbrand doesn't resign with the Giants then the trade will almost automatically be a fleecing in the Jays favour. Even if he does, it is still probably a decent trade to have pulled off in the circumstances.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sportsguy80 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:31 pm

Another reason I like the deal is that it frees up 2 million for us to possibly use on a deadline deal (Lugo, maybe?).

I was thinking the same thing. The Jays have freed up some salary with this deal maybe they are thinking of acquiring a player of some significance.

sportsguy80
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sportsguy80 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:02 pm

There are rumours that the Jays are interested in Tampa Julio Lugo. The D-rays are said to be asking for Brandon League, Dustin Mcgowan, or Shaun Marcum.

I wouldn't mind getting Lugo, hes pretty good offensively and im sure his defence is way better than Russ Adams

sportsguy80
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Toronto Blue Jays