Bad advice from the cafe? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bad advice from the cafe?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mashug » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:21 pm

I asked the Cafe if I shopuld trade Zito and Coffey for Nathan, explaining that I didn't need Zito. I got a unanimous NO because Coffey will have as many saves as Nathan. Good thing I didn't listen.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 597
Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:27 pm

Mashug wrote:I asked the Cafe if I shopuld trade Zito and Coffey for Nathan, explaining that I didn't need Zito. I got a unanimous NO because Coffey will have as many saves as Nathan. Good thing I didn't listen.


See, things like this I'm not so sure apply, really. Who specifically told you to do it? Remember, while the Cafe is an incredible resource for baseball knowledge, we have our fair share of knuckleheads too, who also feel that their 'advice' should be shared. I won't comment on this particular instance, but advice should be taken as just that, advice. I myself always make sure to back up my advice with analysis for why I'm heading in a particular direction, and also state my conviction on what I'm advising. However, there will always be those guys who simply reply with "A-ROD>>>>>>PUJOLS, it's a no brainer!!!" :-/
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 307)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:03 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Mashug wrote:I asked the Cafe if I shopuld trade Zito and Coffey for Nathan, explaining that I didn't need Zito. I got a unanimous NO because Coffey will have as many saves as Nathan. Good thing I didn't listen.


See, things like this I'm not so sure apply, really. Who specifically told you to do it? Remember, while the Cafe is an incredible resource for baseball knowledge, we have our fair share of knuckleheads too, who also feel that their 'advice' should be shared. I won't comment on this particular instance, but advice should be taken as just that, advice. I myself always make sure to back up my advice with analysis for why I'm heading in a particular direction, and also state my conviction on what I'm advising. However, there will always be those guys who simply reply with "A-ROD>>>>>>PUJOLS, it's a no brainer!!!" :-/
'

I agree. I was thinking more of bandwagon bad advice. Soriano before this season is a good example. Although, I think that one was the right advice at the time. All the signs pointed to a big drop-off.

I remember a few years ago when Greinke was considered the second coming of Greg Maddux. I guess there's still some time for that one to come true...
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:17 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Mashug wrote:I asked the Cafe if I shopuld trade Zito and Coffey for Nathan, explaining that I didn't need Zito. I got a unanimous NO because Coffey will have as many saves as Nathan. Good thing I didn't listen.


See, things like this I'm not so sure apply, really. Who specifically told you to do it? Remember, while the Cafe is an incredible resource for baseball knowledge, we have our fair share of knuckleheads too, who also feel that their 'advice' should be shared. I won't comment on this particular instance, but advice should be taken as just that, advice. I myself always make sure to back up my advice with analysis for why I'm heading in a particular direction, and also state my conviction on what I'm advising. However, there will always be those guys who simply reply with "A-ROD>>>>>>PUJOLS, it's a no brainer!!!" :-/
'

I agree. I was thinking more of bandwagon bad advice. Soriano before this season is a good example. Although, I think that one was the right advice at the time. All the signs pointed to a big drop-off.

I remember a few years ago when Greinke was considered the second coming of Greg Maddux. I guess there's still some time for that one to come true...


How about the Cafe being high and mighty on Jhonny Peralta? Not nearly the extent of a mishap as Soriano, but really, what was this year? I'd say so far this year, there's also been the super-hype of Cole Hamels, Chad Billingsly, among other rookies who got the call up surprisingly early. Then again, when they're Aces in another year or two, we'll forget all about it.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24818
(Past Year: 307)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Postby rentz » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:25 pm

cole hamels! i used the #1 waiver in 2 leagues to get him and have regretted it ever since.

soriano i cant really fault people for, i dont think many people would have predicted what he's doing. i know i didnt.

one gem this year was a strong consensus to drop morneau for nevin....that one worked out real well

other than that, ive gotten some pretty bad trade advice in hindsight, but thats always 20/20

all that said, i'll take the good with the bad, no one can be perfect.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4810
Joined: 3 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:12 am

are you ever going to get to the point of this thread AA?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31783
(Past Year: 642)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 8:56 hours
(and 96 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact