Bad advice from the cafe? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bad advice from the cafe?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Morrison8312 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:17 am

schmidty wrote:Well, I used waiver claims in 2 leagues (one of them really high) on Cole Hamels, because the Cafe seemed convinced that he was so great they'd have to rename the Cy Young award the Cole Hamels award.

Give him time my friend ;-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sooner711 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:21 am

I was convinced by the cafe that Soriano's numbers would take a big dive going to Washington, so I traded him away before the season in my keeper league. :~(
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MightyMets » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:39 am

i was convinced TurnBlow wouldnt lose his job because he was an All-star and would straighten himself out according to the experts. Needless to say Wise and Cap were picked up 2 days ago in my league when i had absorbed the situation long before.

i think one of the flaws is to always do the "in" things to do according to experts and cafe postsl example hold on to Peavy he's a stud; you know he has tendonitis he sucks every start but you let your team go down the craphole when you could have traded him for real value and probably still can. Anyone who says to keep peavy now (aside from atrocious trade value) is ludicrous. Not a peavy owner but im sure lot of the "experts" will blast me for selling Peavy low.

lastly i dont know if its keeper influence fan influence or what but most rookies do not succeed on being called up. So for non-keepers all this hype about people is uncalled for; this year has been a rare exception with liriano, verlander. How many people have treated cole hamels like he is johan santana giving him a leash that is so uncalled for. I wont lie i fell for the anthony reyes propaganda BUT that was after he 1 hit the wsox on national TV.

so these are the (-)'s as I see them as a non-keeper player but other than these points there is nowhere close to the info and the closer sticky is priceless.
MightyMets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cobbs87 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:40 am

Everyone at the beginning claimed there was no way Liriano would enter the rotation. He had a bad outing in middle relief. So I dropped him.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby johnsamo » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:47 am

Personally, I never hype anybody until I see them play, minor league stats or a first few good weeks or starts in the show don't mean much. Stats really only tell the truth over time... a month or two means nothing.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby davidmarver » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:53 am

johnsamo wrote:Personally, I never hype anybody until I see them play, minor league stats or a first few good weeks or starts in the show don't mean much. Stats really only tell the truth over time... a month or two means nothing.

Says the man who has Jered Weaver pegged as the AL Cy Young and had John Lackey breaking the consecutive innings record.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:59 am

davidmarver wrote:
johnsamo wrote:Personally, I never hype anybody until I see them play, minor league stats or a first few good weeks or starts in the show don't mean much. Stats really only tell the truth over time... a month or two means nothing.

Says the man who has Jered Weaver pegged as the AL Cy Young and had John Lackey breaking the consecutive innings record.

Hilarious! ;-D

I also believe a lot of people were burned early by believing in & overhyping Matt Kemp too much and too early.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Tiki Barber's Barber » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:10 am

I think the cafe members should have created threads that said "Pick up Liriano", "Pick up Weaver". Instead there were threads filled with doubters and speculators. Thus, I picked neither up.
Tiki Barber's Barber
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:12 am

Tiki Barber's Barber wrote:I think the cafe members should have created threads that said "Pick up Liriano", "Pick up Weaver". Instead there were threads filled with doubters and speculators. Thus, I picked neither up.

don't blame the cafe for your loss...you got to do your homework too.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:31 am

That Podsednik was garbage after his slow start.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers