Matthew Cain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Matthew Cain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matthew Cain

Postby rmande09 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:09 am

It seems that this kid has turned the corner. He may just be teasing us, but he has been brilliant since the ASB, though it is a small sample size.

I live on the East Coast and have been lucky enough to see both of Cain's last two starts. My buddy has the MLB cable package so I went over to catch Verlander-Haren and Cain-Peavy, two match-ups that looked to be potential pitchers duels. Well, Cain has been keeping his ball down his past two starts. The control has been slightly better, but when he misses, it has been down. Against the Phillies, he had great stuff and pretty much dominated. He walked 4 in 6 innings, which is too high a number, but everything else was great.

Tonite, he was fantastic. His curve wasn't as sharp tonite, but he threw his change more often and it was successful. He didn't K a ton of guys, but he actually pitched. He let guys put it in play and let his defense make the plays. Through 8 innings, he had given up 5 hits and K'd 5, but most impressive was his 1 walk. He was around the plate and stayed at the knees. Unfortunately, he had 108 pitches after 8, but Alou kept him in. Got two quick outs, clearly labored through Gonzalez' AB, which ended in a double, and then labored through his AB with Greene, which ended with Cain leaving his 114th pitch right over the middle at the belt (97 MPH fastball!) that Greene crushed over the LF fence. Alou should have taken Cain out after 8 because of his pitch count, but I guess he wanted to let his young ace go for his second CG-SO of the year.

A couple of the hits gave up were jokes. Two balls hit to left that Bonds should have caught and an infield single by Roberts. Cain didn't give up a hard hit ball (including outs) until the 8th inning.

I came away VERY, VERY impressed with Cain. Though I wouldn't go adding him in fantasy leagues, I'd keep an eye on his next couple of starts. He really looks much better than he did earlier in the season and may be returning to his late-2005 form. If he is available in keeper leagues, add him immediately. He should be a true ace in the near future.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jellyroll » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:29 am

was thinking the same. before the ASB picked him up in a couple leagues. Still too early to tell via sample size but nice so far.
jellyroll
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Joe LaCock » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:38 am

Thanks for the thorough report. I have been keeping an eye on him. I will do moreso in the future. Joe
Joe LaCock
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kbarre » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:55 am

For those of you watching Cain, and MOSTLY for those of you in keeper leagues where he is for some odd reason available...

I'm in a 14 team league with guys who really know what they're doing, and I've had Cain for two seasons waiting patiently for him, first, to get the call up, and second, to get things together and learn how to pitch at the big league level.

For the record, nearly everyone in my league has offered me a trade involving him....If you are in a keeper league, I HIGHLY suggest picking Cain up. He just may carry that rotation next year (assuming Schmidt ends up with a new team).....
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:54 pm

kbarre wrote:For those of you watching Cain, and MOSTLY for those of you in keeper leagues where he is for some odd reason available...

I'm in a 14 team league with guys who really know what they're doing, and I've had Cain for two seasons waiting patiently for him, first, to get the call up, and second, to get things together and learn how to pitch at the big league level.

For the record, nearly everyone in my league has offered me a trade involving him....If you are in a keeper league, I HIGHLY suggest picking Cain up. He just may carry that rotation next year (assuming Schmidt ends up with a new team).....

Even if Schmidt stays in SF, Cain could still be the ace of the staff. Hell, if Cain really has turned it around this year, he could end up being the #1 for the Giants.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KillaBees800 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:57 pm

I picked him up following the AS break because his first 4 games back were 2 at home vs PHI and SD, and 2 vs WAS. Half-way through this stretch he's:

14.2IP 1W 10K 1.84ERA 0.89WHIP

After these four he's scheduled for two away vs ARI :-/ and two more vs LAD.
* 2 of his worst losses were against ARI...

So maybe he is/will be benefiting from a nice schedule, but who cares when he's putting up numbers like that. In fact, the rest of the Giants schedule isn't that hard. Not saying that he hasn't turned a corner (because I hope he has!) but that might have helped.
KillaBees800
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:44 pm

KillaBees800 wrote:I picked him up following the AS break because his first 4 games back were 2 at home vs PHI and SD, and 2 vs WAS. Half-way through this stretch he's:

14.2IP 1W 10K 1.84ERA 0.89WHIP

After these four he's scheduled for two away vs ARI :-/ and two more vs LAD.
* 2 of his worst losses were against ARI...

So maybe he is/will be benefiting from a nice schedule, but who cares when he's putting up numbers like that. In fact, the rest of the Giants schedule isn't that hard. Not saying that he hasn't turned a corner (because I hope he has!) but that might have helped.

I think that if he throws the ball where he wants to then it doesn't matter much who he's facin.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kbarre » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:42 pm

Cain is showing the signs of a rookie starting pitcher..plain and simple.

When he's locating his pitches where he wants them, he is seriously LIGHTS OUT. The no-hitter bid he had earlier in the season is testament to that. He's also had more than a few starts with 8-10 K's with a stellar K/BB ratio.

The absolutely normal part of him is that he has his bad starts, which is to be expected. Play the matchups with him this season, and then be happy to have him next year. For those in pay per player leagues, he's going to be a pricey catch next year.
kbarre
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates