Joseph Koshansky... WOW - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Joseph Koshansky... WOW

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joseph Koshansky... WOW

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:14 pm

I've been hearing a lot about Dodgers' 1b prospect James Loney lately. I've also heard nothing about Joe Koshansky. I don't understand.

Loney looks like Sean Casey. Kosh has loads of power and is still raw. At UVA, he was a two-way star. He really didn't start getting into the lineup until his junior season. Even then, he threw 58 and 102 in his junior and senior seasons, respectively. He was unable to focus on just hitting. Well, the changes have been noted. After signing in 2004, Koshansky hit 12 homers in 239 ABs. He only hit .234 and he struck out 35% of the time. He did walk a respectable 31 times.

He started 2005 at A, and he raked. He hit 36 homers in 453 ABs, and he knocked his Ks down a slight bit to 26%. Still high, but his power (36 HR, 31 2B) was great and the walks and average were there.

Well, at AA Tulsa so far this season, Koshansky has been superb. He's hitting .301 with 24 HR in 334 ABs. His K rate is around the same at 27%, but his walk total has improved. He is getting on base at a .385 clip. He also has 19 doubles to go with his 24 homers, which keeps his SLG up there. With Shealy being called up and pretty much out the door, I would not be surprised if Koshansky gets the call to Colorado Springs very soon.

I hate to make this comparison, but if you look at everything - the stats, the background, the swing, the power - Koshansky compares considerably well to Mr. Ryan Howard. Both were drafted as very RAW hitters out of college, which got them started at a much older age. Both are huge, lefty bats. Both featured similar power numbers, contact rates, batting averages, walks, and slugging at each level at the same age.

I see an eerily similar situation going down in Colorado... Thome getting hurt, opening the way for Howard, then getting dealt and revitalizing his career... I can see that happen in Colorado.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby birdmandig » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:37 pm

I own KOSHY in my 16 team keeper. I hope you are right about the Ryan Howard comparison.
birdmandig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby J35J » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:57 pm

I had him pushed down some on my rankings because of his age and level 24 at AA, and the fact that he struck out way too much. But now that you bring him up he does seem to be getting things together pretty well with an increase in walks and his contact rate going up, which brings up his avg and obp. I can very easily see the Howard comparison if he can continue to improve on the walk and SO rates!! Should be fun to see him move up to AAA and if he can continue his progress. ;-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:37 pm

I don't see a similar thing happening, because Todd Helton is the face of the Rockies franshise. And really, his contract isn't very moveable.

Hopefully Koshansky can move to another posistion, or else he'll do well on another team.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Minor League & College Baseball