Monster deal involving Delmon. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Monster deal involving Delmon.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Monster deal involving Delmon.

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:26 am

OK,, I'd really like some advice on acquiring Young. I am in a keeper league. We have minor league systems, each team has six minor leaguers. We are allowed five mLB keepers. Our farm system is carried over year to year. In order to make the farm system more important, when one of your players from the farm exhausts his rookie status (130 ABs, 50 IP), you get him for free the following year. Hitters you get for one free year, pitchers you get for two. For example, I have Justin Verlander and Josh Barfield. on my team and they were promoted from my farm squad to begin the season. Both have exhausted their rookie status. So I will have Verlander for free in 2007 and 2008 and Barfield for free in 2007 without using a ML keeper.

My five current keepers are Derek Jeter, Grady Sizemore, Carlos Lee, Victor Martinez, and Jeremy Bonderman. I have Verlander, Matt Cain, Anthony Reyes, Josh Barfield, and Lastings Milledge (needs 64 ABs to break his rookie status; if he doesn't, I'd need to send him to my farm squad or he'd be cut).

My current farm squad is: Billy Butler, Troy Tulowitzki, Carlos Gonzalez, Andy LaRoche, Yovani Gallardo, and Jose Tabata. Quite frankly, my system is STACKED and is the best in the league. But I am facing a problem: If Milledge does not reach 150 ABs, I'd need to send him back down, which would require me to drop a player, something I don't want to do (who would I drop?). If he hits 150 ABs, it'll probably be by only a few at-bats (unless he's traded to Philly where he would start and surpass the minimum), and that means I'll only have him for free in 2007 and then I'd have to waste a keeper on him. I don't think he'll put up a keeper-type season in 2007.

Anyways, I've been offered Delmon Young for Anthony Reyes/Matt Cain, Troy Tulowitzki, and Lastings Milledge. It's a trade of depth for an elite prospect. I have a SS keeper in Jeter so I can move Tulo, I have four SPs entering next season (Bonderman, Verlander, Reyes, Cain), and then I have Milledge, who I may have no room for. This would leave me with a farm system of:

Delmon Young
Billy Butler
Carlos Gonzalez
Andy LaRoche
Yovani Gallardo
Jose Tabata

And that looks nasty. That would give me plenty of talent for '07 and '08 and plenty of talent for beyond that. What does everyone think?

(I apologize for the ridiculous length of the post but I wanted to make sure I was thorough and didn't leave anything out.)
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby birdmandig » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:50 pm

That's too much for just Delmon

Cain/Reyes have great stuff...could net you more.

if you have to keep LAstings....i might drop LAroche.

I dont like Bonderman as a keeper... Verlander, Reyes, Cain better.

Tulo and Lastings are expanable.
birdmandig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby J35J » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:07 pm

I probably would go ahead and pull the trigger on that deal. Normally I like to stock pile my prospects as you never know how they will develop and pan out. However, since you have all elite level prospects you don't really need bulk, especially when you will be getting the best of the best in return. Very intriguing indeed.....really couldn't go wrong either way so go with your gut!

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:42 am

I would get Delmon and try to give up Reyes instead of Cain. Milledge will more then likely get his at bats, so at least getting Delmon here will cause you one less headache then. I also imagine your offers would be a bit less once Milledge does indeed get his time in, as the other teams will know you are in a mess.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rmande09 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:29 pm

Thanks for the help guys, I ended up trading Tulo-Reyes-Milledge for Delmon Young. With the depth I have and the risk of Milledge getting 150 ABs this year and being a 4th OF next year, I felt acquiring an elite talent was something I had to do.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball