D-Train to STL???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

D-Train to STL????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:15 am

teddyballgamemvp wrote:I own Rasmus and I'm trying to figure out if this would speed up his timetable to get to the bigs, since the Fish like to play the youngsters-- and they don't have a stud in CF and Willingham is in the OF even though he's really a catcher.

i wouldnt think so. rasmus was drafted out of high school and is still adjusting to high A. i dont think he is a candidate to be fast tracked. he needs a few years to develop no matter where he ends up (and the cards need an outfielder just as much as the marlins).
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby free » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:35 am

Snakes Gould wrote:there is a trade rumor thread right above you. you should probably put these rumors in there ;-D

yeah, and you should probably get a life ;-D
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jealousblues » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:32 pm

The way I see it is give me Willis everyday over Reyes, I dont know if Reyes will ever be the ace of a staff, or ever compete for a Cy Young...but Willis has. Willis is like a month younger, has years of MLB experiance and doesnt have a big injury history like Reyes has. Reyes has potential, but Willis has done it at the MLB level.
The only thing Reyes has on Willis (but its pretty big) is he is cheap and under our control for some time.

I would do that trade anyday, but when you talk Reyes AND Rasmus.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby absolut typical » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:17 pm

As a die hard birds fan. i really hope this doesn't happen. Reyes and wainright are untouchable and rightfully so. I just can't see this going through.

And isn't willis a free agent at the end of the year...yes so this won't happen
absolut typical
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:42 pm

free wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:there is a trade rumor thread right above you. you should probably put these rumors in there ;-D

;-D
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WhiteHot » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:43 pm

BTOWNHESS wrote:D-Train plus Carpenter in the playoffs, especially a 5 game series is scary.

Who's scared of D-Train? He's been downright awful this year in spots.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby absolut typical » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:48 pm

After further research and review of this trade.... I think this would be an absolute bomb for the birds. trading away your stud cheap #2 for a declining funky mechanics willis who will replace him as your #2 isn't even a good trade for the birds in my mind. Not to mention duncan and top prospect Rasmus.

Jockety...DO NO MAKE THIS TRADE PLEASE. ALL OF THE MIDWEST WILL ERUPT!
absolut typical
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcliffy2 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:09 pm

BTOWNHESS wrote:It makes a lot of sense..with a wide open N.L. and the reigning Cy Young winner and MVP on their team, they are a few pieces from taking the N.L. again. D-Train plus Carpenter in the playoffs, especially a 5 game series is scary. Also with the questions about mulder and the total destruction of Marquis and the averageness of Suppan that pitching rotation could use a huge shot in the arm. Plus look at Reyes, besides one above average start he has looked nothing like some of the young rookie hurlers to emerge this year (Liriano, Weaver, Zumaya, Verlander, J. Johnson, etc.)

If I were jocketty I'd do this in a heartbeat, Reyes might be good, i doubt great, and prospects dont always pan out, with Dontrelle you KNOW youre getting a stud.

As a cards fan, I couldn't disagree more. If you make this play, it is because you are trying to make a play this year. Wainwright is set to start next year I believe, and Reyes has shown he has the ability to be a Maddux type starter. To the contrary of your evaluation, he has had 2 below average starts (not horrible), 1 amazing start and 4 above average (2 ER or less) starts. Is Willis better? Yes, right now. But worth trading the farm, definitely not. I wouldn't trade our current #2 pitcher for a better #2 pitcher...the problem would still be our 3,4,5 guys.

From what I've heard our farm system is pretty thin now (didn't we give up the AA leader in HR for Weaver...not sure about this, but if we did, don't like it). And Duncan is our only decent power hitting prospect...I really don't think we are in a position to make a big trade. I don't think Willis will make us good enough to win the series (maybe to get there, but fall short again). We really need a FA acquisition in the off-season, I hate to say it, but I think that is reality.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dc928 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:39 pm

mcliffy2 wrote:
BTOWNHESS wrote:It makes a lot of sense..with a wide open N.L. and the reigning Cy Young winner and MVP on their team, they are a few pieces from taking the N.L. again. D-Train plus Carpenter in the playoffs, especially a 5 game series is scary. Also with the questions about mulder and the total destruction of Marquis and the averageness of Suppan that pitching rotation could use a huge shot in the arm. Plus look at Reyes, besides one above average start he has looked nothing like some of the young rookie hurlers to emerge this year (Liriano, Weaver, Zumaya, Verlander, J. Johnson, etc.)

If I were jocketty I'd do this in a heartbeat, Reyes might be good, i doubt great, and prospects dont always pan out, with Dontrelle you KNOW youre getting a stud.

As a cards fan, I couldn't disagree more. If you make this play, it is because you are trying to make a play this year. Wainwright is set to start next year I believe, and Reyes has shown he has the ability to be a Maddux type starter. To the contrary of your evaluation, he has had 2 below average starts (not horrible), 1 amazing start and 4 above average (2 ER or less) starts. Is Willis better? Yes, right now. But worth trading the farm, definitely not. I wouldn't trade our current #2 pitcher for a better #2 pitcher...the problem would still be our 3,4,5 guys.

From what I've heard our farm system is pretty thin now (didn't we give up the AA leader in HR for Weaver...not sure about this, but if we did, don't like it). And Duncan is our only decent power hitting prospect...I really don't think we are in a position to make a big trade. I don't think Willis will make us good enough to win the series (maybe to get there, but fall short again). We really need a FA acquisition in the off-season, I hate to say it, but I think that is reality.

I am not a Cards fan but I disagree. Willis is a very good picther and has been very good for the last 2 months with an ERA under 2. He is a very good #2 pitcher and he might get even better. His record might not show it but this guy will be great. He also has ACE stuff. A Reyes is good but he is probably not going to be Willis good. He is a good clubhouse guy, he has world champion experience and he is great in the playoff. He is also not that old, I believe he is 24 or 25 something. Best of all he is cheap in turns of salaries and he won't be eligable for freeagency for another 2 or 3 years. Just think about the starting lineup of Carpenter and Willis as 1 and 2. This will instantly make you a championship contender. If I am the GM hellya I'd make the trade. I am an Angel Fan just look at how stupid he is not making any damn trades...look what prospect is getting for us.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:14 pm

free wrote:

Cause people without lives actually care about the state of the Cafe? :-?

I don't get it...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers