D-Train to STL???? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

D-Train to STL????

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

D-Train to STL????

Postby jazzmanljg » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:45 am

mlbtraderumors.com has posted an article about Willis possibly going to the Cards for A. Reyes and 2-3 other top prospects. The article makes it sound like a real possibility. Anybody else heard anything about this?
Thanks to soty for the great sig!
jazzmanljg
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:45 am

I haven't heard about this here in StL, but I'm admittedly out of it lately.
Last edited by JTWood on Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby BTOWNHESS » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:12 am

It makes a lot of sense..with a wide open N.L. and the reigning Cy Young winner and MVP on their team, they are a few pieces from taking the N.L. again. D-Train plus Carpenter in the playoffs, especially a 5 game series is scary. Also with the questions about mulder and the total destruction of Marquis and the averageness of Suppan that pitching rotation could use a huge shot in the arm. Plus look at Reyes, besides one above average start he has looked nothing like some of the young rookie hurlers to emerge this year (Liriano, Weaver, Zumaya, Verlander, J. Johnson, etc.)

If I were jocketty I'd do this in a heartbeat, Reyes might be good, i doubt great, and prospects dont always pan out, with Dontrelle you KNOW youre getting a stud.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mikekim2121 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:15 am

At this point, its not so much of a rumor as it is some writers opinion but here is the link.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports ... enDocument
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jealousblues » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:16 am

on stltoday.com they are saying something like Anthony Reyes, COlby Rasmus, Chris Duncan ...and maybe one or two others for Willis, and maybe someone else.

Reyes and Rasmus are both pretty good, plus I bet the other is like a hawksworth or lambert type guy.

But who knows. I like Reyes....but I like Willis more (willis is like a month or two younger too, go figure?). Rasmus could be something good though.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:31 am

I'm not really that knowledgeable on the depth of the Cards minor league system aside from the top couple of guys. I don't really know how much a move like this could hinder their seemingly weak system. Anbody wanna weigh in on the effects a move like this could have?
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:10 am

there is a trade rumor thread right above you. you should probably put these rumors in there ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:54 am

Havok1517 wrote:I'm not really that knowledgeable on the depth of the Cards minor league system aside from the top couple of guys. I don't really know how much a move like this could hinder their seemingly weak system. Anbody wanna weigh in on the effects a move like this could have?

reyes was their top prospect before calling up. rasmus is now the top prospect. duncan wasnt in the top 10 but seems to be doing well when he gets called up. the other prospect would apparently be the marlins choice so just assume its the #2 prospect after rasmus. that would put a pretty good hurt on the cards farm system.

i like willis but he starting to look a lot like mulder...giving up more hits, walks up, and strikeouts down. i'd pass.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:43 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I'm not really that knowledgeable on the depth of the Cards minor league system aside from the top couple of guys. I don't really know how much a move like this could hinder their seemingly weak system. Anbody wanna weigh in on the effects a move like this could have?

reyes was their top prospect before calling up. rasmus is now the top prospect. duncan wasnt in the top 10 but seems to be doing well when he gets called up. the other prospect would apparently be the marlins choice so just assume its the #2 prospect after rasmus. that would put a pretty good hurt on the cards farm system.

i like willis but he starting to look a lot like mulder...giving up more hits, walks up, and strikeouts down. i'd pass.

That Cards farm system is very thin. Not like the Nats farm system, but it's thin. This would empty it out and make it Nats-like. I own Rasmus and I'm trying to figure out if this would speed up his timetable to get to the bigs, since the Fish like to play the youngsters-- and they don't have a stud in CF and Willingham is in the OF even though he's really a catcher.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:18 am

I doubt it will happen and I hope it doesn't happen.
Willis is in line for big payday and hasn't been any better than Reyes this year. I'd rather keep Reyes and the prospects and spend the money on a pitcher in the offseason.
Plus with Willis's motion he is an injury waiting to happen.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers