Red Sox SWEEP! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Red Sox SWEEP!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Red Sox SWEEP!

Postby PresHabib » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:27 am

So the Red Sox came out and swept the Mariners in a 4 game weekend set. Does this change the mind of any of those who doubted that the Sox would get into the playoffs?? As part of Red Sox nation, I already felt that they would make it, but what about those of you who thought otherwise?

And don't anybody say "it's just one silly silly 4 good streak" cuz everybody knows that if those games went the other way, even against someone other than Seattle, everybody would be saying "man the red sox are done". One series CAN make a difference.

Still skeptical? The sox just finished a 14 game stretch where they played ONLY Seattle and Oakland where they went a very respectable 8-6.

Or, how about the fact that Derek Lowe who hasnt been his 2002 self this year, has had back to back consecutive TERRIFIC outings? Seems to me he's gotten it back on track.

I'm very anxious to see what the typical group of post-all-star break Red Sox critics has to say now after they've finally done something right!
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:58 am

I like the BoSox chances of getting the wild card spot....I dont think they will over take the Yanks for the division tiltle...but with the wild card they get into the playoffs and after that it is anybodys game.... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby PresHabib » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:07 am

DieHardCubbie wrote:I like the BoSox chances of getting the wild card spot....I dont think they will over take the Yanks for the division tiltle...but with the wild card they get into the playoffs and after that it is anybodys game.... ;-D

I agree. I don't think the Sox will over take the Yankees for first in the AL either, but I it doesnt matter HOW you get into the postseason, just that you do, right! ;-D

HOWEVER, after this coming weekend...lets say the Sox sweep the Yanks like they did the Mariners. Maybe THEN we can start talking division title. For now though, I couldnt care less, just as long as they make it.

How bout another question for this post? I've asked this before, but some things have changed since then...Lets assume the Sox get the wild card. Who, then, misses the playoffs...recently swept Seattle or Mulder-less Oakland? As far as Red Sox playoff chances go, things like that certainly help.

I'm more interested in my original question, but I think both questions are good debate fodder :-D
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:43 am

I agree this weekends series is big for the BoSox...(and Yanks for that matter)....If they can take 2/3 then they might have a shot a the division title....but that is still a long shot...

As for the west...I think Seattle will win it and Oak will be the one left out...they have had good pitching all year but no bats...now that their bats have woke up, the pitching has had bad injuries...they haven't been able to get both together at the same time....

Either way it comes out...a BoSox and Yankees ALCS is a real possibility... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:31 am

PresHabib wrote:HOWEVER, after this coming weekend...lets say the Sox sweep the Yanks like they did the Mariners. Maybe THEN we can start talking division title. For now though, I couldnt care less, just as long as they make it.

Division title? Didn't you see this post:

"Even those who care little for baseball know the name Babe Ruth. Why would the owner of any franchise in any sport part company with such a monster talent? In 1916, as a Boston pitcher, the Babe led the American League with an Earned Run Average of only 1.75. By 1919, stilll with the Red Sox, he led the league in Home Runs and Runs Batted In. There was no precedent for such prodigious skill as both a pitcher and hitter. It is one reason many fans still consider him the greatest player ever. And how did the Sox reward him? Before the 1920 season, Ruth was sold to the Yankees. And get this: he had played on the World Champion Red Sox starring Ernie Shore, Duffy Lewis, Dutch Leonard, Carl Mays, Wally Schang, Herb Pennock, Joe Dugan, Sam Jones and others. In the twenties, he starred on the World Champion Yankees that featured Ernie Shore, Duffy Lewis, Dutch Leonard, Carl Mays, Wally Schang, Herb Pennock, Joe Dugan, Sam Jones and others. Red Sox team owner Harry Frazee sold them all, and he sold them all to the Yankees. As Hall of Fame Red Sox outfielder Harry Hooper said in Lawrence Ritter's great book The Glory of Their Times, "I was disgusted. The Yankee dynasty of the twenties was three-quarters the Red Sox of a few years before. All Frazee wanted was the money. He was short of cash and he sold the whole team down the river to keep his dirty nose above water." Gee, Harry, tell us how you really feel. Money, greed, short-term gain, whatever you want to call it. Red Sox owner Frazee mortgaged the future for the security of the present. The result? To date, the Yankees have won over two dozen world championships. The Red Sox have yet to win again. The curse of Babe Ruth? Maybe just a shortsighted lack of vision. Sobering reality. Especially for long-suffering Red Sox fans."
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby PresHabib » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:13 am

Wow...I knew Harry Frazee was a bastard, but I didn't know he was THAT big a bastard. Damn his worthless hide. I don't think that has anything to do with the Sox winning the '03 division title, but it is certainly a painful story for Sox fans to read. I was pretty much just playing wiht the hypothetical, im not really putting my money on them winning the division, just the wild card. My mind will chagne if they sweep this weekend, but I'm not counting on that anyway. No matter what happens, the end of the season will be VERY entertaining.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:39 pm

I think the Sox will get the wildcard and Oakland will be hung out to dry.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby IchiBalls » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:59 pm

A couple weeks ago I said Oakland would be the ones left out. Now with Mulder out I'm more confident with that choice, otherwise I'd have to say the Mariners :( But I just read that the Mariners have the next 22 games against sub .500 teams. }:-) That should get them turned around. I think the Red Sox offense and the additions to the bullpen give them the best shot of the 3.
IchiBalls
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers