Sheffield vs. Bonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheffield vs. Bonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby LCBOY » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:28 pm

bsod wrote:Well I am that friend that shortsavage spoke of and i think i should explain my reasons for Sheffield being a better hitter right now than Bonds is. Simply put Bonds is an old steroid poppin' piece of sh!t..... If he even wants to play another 3 yrs he will have to goto an AL team and be a DH because he can barely throw a ball more than 50 ft. Face it, he can hit but that means little if he can't throw a baseball (if he wants to play in the NL). I've thought nothing of him ever since he couldn't throw out Sid Beam (who was about as old as Bonds is now) at a play at the plate for the Pirates. This allowed the Braves to move on and eliminated the Pirates.

Why has Bonds become such a big power hitter in the last 5 years? One reason. The medical name is Testosterone Cypionate or more commonly known as anabolic steroids. Don't believe me? Take a look at his baseball cards 7yrs ago compared to today... I don't know too many GOOD GUYS who like to take steroids...... ;-D And if the MLB doesnt get off their asses and start testing players there will be a bunch of future HACKS that like to cheat and break records that they don't deserve to break... (McGuire included)

Not another "I hate Barry Bonds" rant. We can't have too many of those can we? Frankly, I an tired of these rants.

Bsod, are you a medical doctor? Do you have any evidence that Bonds has taken drugs other than your biased opinion? Hitting HRs is more than just being strong. It takes SKILL. Yes, Bonds has gotten bigger in the past 10 years. That, in itself is not proof. Really, you have no evidence that he has taken drugs.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Aug 26, 2003 12:53 pm

LCBOY wrote:Not another "I hate Barry Bonds" rant. We can't have too many of those can we? Frankly, I an tired of these rants.

Bsod, are you a medical doctor? Do you have any evidence that Bonds has taken drugs other than your biased opinion? Hitting HRs is more than just being strong. It takes SKILL. Yes, Bonds has gotten bigger in the past 10 years. That, in itself is not proof. Really, you have no evidence that he has taken drugs.

I agree. Unless he admits it or gets tested, then this argument is moot. Is there a good chance that he is on the juice? Yes. Can it be proven now? No. Unlike other sports, taking them can do harm and good. Does it help you hit a curveball? No. Can you hit a ball father? Sure. The bottom line is that I'm sure that it is a big problem throughout MLB but, unfortunately, the player's union runs the league as much as or more than the owners and commish.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby DGroundhog » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:01 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:I thought it was a pretty funny post shortsavage...don't mind DGroundhog....he is one of our resident grumps....

I guess I'd be considered less of a grump if I gave in and became a player hater. I'm not sure that would work either, since I think it would be only fair to hate all players equally- regardless of race - which is certainly not the case in here.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PresHabib » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:02 pm

LCBOY wrote: Hitting HRs is more than just being strong. It takes SKILL.

Thank GOD somebody said that. The fact that Bonds has gotten bigger really has nothing to do with the fact(or at least, is not the sole reason) that he is hitting so many home runs. I mean, theres a reason that 6'8" guys play basketball and 300 pounders play football and that your average in shape everyday Joe can play baseball (hockey too for that matter). They are games that may favor strength but are not solely dependent on them. Barry Bonds has a terrific swing. He chokes up on the bat, quickening his swing and limiting the potential to hit the ball off the handle. Thats why even balls that DONT leave the park are hammered. Homers are generated from quickness, swing mechanics, and hand eye coordination more than anything else. I'm sick of hearing people say that the only reason Bonds goes deep is because of steroids because, when you break it down, its unfounded, ignorant,and incorrect.

Same thing with Sammy Sosa...cork does not make the ball go farther, not to the degree that Sammy hits them. I'm glad that claims that "Sammy is only good cuz he corks his bat" have been invisible of late.

Give any big man a bat, even one of those ESPN World's Strongest Men guys, and I'll give you 10-1 that they don't go deep on a 95 mph fastball or an 85mph curveball. Skill over power is what governs the baseball world.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers