Sheffield vs. Bonds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheffield vs. Bonds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Sheffield vs. Bonds

Postby shortsavage » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:05 pm

I have a friend who hates Bonds and the Giants...this is him :-P . However, I think Bonds is a good guy ;-D . Is it just me, or are Braves fans just sad that, at this stage of his career, Sheffield is not the electrifying hitter Bonds is :-? ?

Perhaps Braves fans are just tired of losing in the first round of the playoffs :-/ and they wish they had a hitter who is as exciting to watch as Bonds :-B .

All I know is if Gary keeps spending as much as he does on clothes and acting like a grump :-C , he will always be a few records short of catching Bonds' rump ;-) .
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:20 pm

both have bad attitudes and are great, flavored hitters
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:40 pm

Since Sheffield has only been a Brave for one season, I doubt they are real concerned about his place in baseball history. They are different hitters completely.

As for the organizations, the Braves have been the class of the NL for some time.

Given their production this year, I would take Sheffield. Barry has missed too many games (again). If you add in the fract that I got Sheffield in the 6th round when Barry was gone by pick #6, Sheff was a much better value. That is why for fantasy purposes, Sheffield is one of the top 10 'Keys to Success' and Bonds is not in the top 30.

It looks to me like you just really intended to irritate Braves fans, so I give you a big :-t

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:04 am

Hehe, I was just having fun...and I don't know if you picked up on it, but I was just talking about Bonds as a contributor to the Giants...not fantasy teams.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby DieHardCubbie » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:10 am

I thought it was a pretty funny post shortsavage...don't mind DGroundhog....he is one of our resident grumps.... :-b

Just picking Groundhog.... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bsod » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:00 am

Well I am that friend that shortsavage spoke of and i think i should explain my reasons for Sheffield being a better hitter right now than Bonds is. Simply put Bonds is an old steroid poppin' piece of sh!t..... If he even wants to play another 3 yrs he will have to goto an AL team and be a DH because he can barely throw a ball more than 50 ft. Face it, he can hit but that means little if he can't throw a baseball (if he wants to play in the NL). I've thought nothing of him ever since he couldn't throw out Sid Beam (who was about as old as Bonds is now) at a play at the plate for the Pirates. This allowed the Braves to move on and eliminated the Pirates.

Why has Bonds become such a big power hitter in the last 5 years? One reason. The medical name is Testosterone Cypionate or more commonly known as anabolic steroids. Don't believe me? Take a look at his baseball cards 7yrs ago compared to today... I don't know too many GOOD GUYS who like to take steroids...... ;-D And if the MLB doesnt get off their asses and start testing players there will be a bunch of future HACKS that like to cheat and break records that they don't deserve to break... (McGuire included)
bsod
T-Ball Trainer

you are correct

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:08 am

I agree about Bonds and steroids...he has obviously added a ton of muscle, but isn't Sheffield Bonds' work out partner in the off season 8-o ?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby bsod » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:28 am

work out partners doesn't mean needle sharers :-b
bsod
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Super GM » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:08 am

Well, as everybody knows I'm a Braves fan. I'm not concerned about Sheffield at all. He's been awesome for us this year. Of course he's not on the same level as Bonds. Bonds just slams pretty much everything he sees over the wall, while Sheff will hit for doubles and triples and steal bases too. That is what Bonds doesn't do. I'm happy with Sheff and could care less about what Bonds does.
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby demoflauchy » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:11 am

They are both hot-heads and both great hitters. Sheff is a bit younger, so he's going to steal a few more bags and maybe get a few more extra-base-hits. They are both very valuable to their respective teams...but I would say that Bonds is WAY more valuable to his team than Sheff. The Braves have a stud lineup and can score every time they take the field... Without Bonds...the Giants a missing a big piece of offense.
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers