Auction Style Draft (HELP!) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Auction Style Draft (HELP!)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction Style Draft (HELP!)

Postby shortsavage » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:58 pm

Let me start off with a simple, WOW. This site looks so flavorful and must be supplimental to all fantasy baseball participants!

As a 19-year-old, with 3 years of fantasy baseball experience, I am anxious to learn all I can about holding an auction style draft. I plan on holding an one for the 2004 season and, as my 14 team keeper league will be in its inaugural season, I thought it would be enjoyable and fair to use a draft style that would allow for each owner to have a shot at drafting every player. My first and foremost question is how much starting money should I give each owner?

I have heard the default amount of cash each player is given to bid is in the neighborhood of $260. Are there any sort of calculations I can do in order to decide the most favorable amount of bidding money specifically designed in support of the format of my league?

If their isn't, maybe some of you experts could give me a recommendation...we will have 15 active roster spots (9 position players and 6 pitchers), about 10 reserve spots, 3-5 injured spots, and 5-10 minor's spots.

Are there any crutial tips, for auction drafts, out there that you guys could share with me?

Thank you for your help and I hope I made this post in the correct section.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction Style Draft (HELP!)

Postby wrveres » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:42 pm

shortsavage wrote:I have heard the default amount of cash each player is given to bid is in the neighborhood of $260. Are there any sort of calculations I can do in order to decide the most favorable amount of bidding money specifically designed in support of the format of my league?

If their isn't, maybe some of you experts could give me a recommendation...we will have 15 active roster spots (9 position players and 6 pitchers), about 10 reserve spots, 3-5 injured spots, and 5-10 minor's spots.

Are there any crutial tips, for auction drafts, out there that you guys could share with me?

Thank you for your help and I hope I made this post in the correct section.

Just a couple of things, yes 260.00 is the norm and pretty much any rankings you find or projections you find are based upon 260.00. We use a 130.00 cap in my league to shorten things up, and it still takes all day, and we only draft 21 players for 10 teams ..

only 6 starters so I am guessing daily transactions?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)

Postby Siege1386 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:16 pm

Good article at http://www.fantasybaseballheadquarters. ... m#Chapter2 about how to set it up.

If you are talking about crutial tips for strategy, I wrote an auction strategy article on my website.

Are you doing the auction live or over the internet?
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:32 pm

Siege1386 wrote:Good article at http://www.fantasybaseballheadquarters. ... m#Chapter2 about how to set it up.

If you are talking about crutial tips for strategy, I wrote an auction strategy article on my website.

I don't reccommend doing it over the internet .. all it takes is one yahoo with his K'Mart 486 .. and it ruins the whole day ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Live Auction

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:09 am

Siege1386 wrote:Good article at http://www.fantasybaseballheadquarters. ... m#Chapter2 about how to set it up.

I am definately doing it live.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Giants Rule » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:26 am

Great idea, Savage! I'm sure you're gonna have a lot of fun next year, I guarantee it. Is this gonna be roto or H2H? Our 15-team H2H keeper league this year have a cap of $260 also for a 24-man roster: 2 each of 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, C; 5 OF; 9 pitchers (6 SP max).

Here are some recommendations and observations:

1. Isn't 10 reserve spots a lot? We only have 2 and those ARE for the minor leaguers. Set up a fee to activate a reserve. Ours is $10. We do the reserves draft after Week6 so as not to make the main auction too long.

2. Isn't 3-5 Injured Reserve slots a lot? Some people will exploit this. Maybe 1 or 2 is good. Our league doesn't even have one (maybe we should, cuz if a good cheap guy goes down, the owner can't drop him cuz he'll be snatched up. Like Piazza this year)

3. Set up supplemental picks each week. We have 2 each week and it's $3 per pick. Order is determined by standings. 2nd round is reversed.

4. Isn't 6 pitchers too few? We have 6 SP max in ours (and 2 or 3 RPs) and we feel it should be 7 SPs and 3 RPs. Also count Holds. If there's no Holds, it would suck for sure.

5. Start the draft early. Sometime after lunch is good. With a breaktime halfway, the draft should be over before dark and eating and drinking should commence and talk trades! Yeah, trades right away. LOL :*)

6. Set up an amount for trades. Ours is $5 per transaction (regardless of # of players). You can make it per team or per player.

7. Make the season into halves so that you'll have 2 playoffs. I think it's more exciting than one long one. Since our league has 15 teams, we had 14 games in a 10-week period. That means doubleheaders which adds more excitement. ;-D

The first-half playoffs and 2nd half regular season would then overlap for 3 weeks (3 rounds of playoff games, 5 teams and a wildcard). We use TQSTATS to make this easier. There would then be a first-half winner.

Then the next 10 weeks should produce the 2nd-half playoffs. In our league, that's this week. So after Week 23, you'd have the 2nd-half champ for a 2-week World Series showdown between 1st- and 2nd-half winners for all the glory.

Now there's a twist. We also have a playoffs for the sucky teams. We call it the Keg Series. The champion of that buys the brew for next year's auction.

Another thing worth considering is the bench. Should your members be limited to fill in the backups for each position players or should they be free to draft whatever they want. We're suggesting to our commish the latter for a vote.

Now for the strategies: (damn, this is getting long, sorry) :*)

1. Obviously do the research weeks before the draft. Figure out your "sleepers" and save him for very late rounds.

2. Don't spend more than $10 for a 2nd-tier pitcher. If they suck, you can get some from the supplemental picks. Just an example, some of the pitchers undrafted in our league were Loaiza, Livan, Ponson, Pineiro.

3. Set up a max for your favorite player so that you don't lose money in later rounds. Mine was Helton for $50. He went for $56. Still I ran out of money and all I could get in the later rounds were $1 players like Matt Williams, Wakefield, Lilly, Ausmus and Mintkiewicz. :~(

4. Depending on your scoring system, the closers could be important because they might score more than a 2-start SP in a given week. In our league, the top 4 scorers amongst ALL pitchers are closers (Gagne, Smoltz, Foulke and Wagner). So know the points and take it into account.

Well, there you go. Hope this helps cuz it took me almost an hour! LOL 8-o If you want, I'll send you our league's constitution so you'll have a guideline. There's more minutiae to discuss like vetoes, voting, fees, disputes, playoff seeds, etc. but it'll take another hour so maybe it's better in private e-mail.

Good luck next year and enjoy! ;-D
Giants Rule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:37 am

... and above all, make sure everyone schedules enough time for the auction. Especially if it's your first one, it'll take a very long time. Not that that's a bad thing, of course... :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Thanks!

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:52 pm

Sweet, thanks for the advice everyone! Giants Fan...I don't think 3-5 injured spots is too many. I am friends with everyone in my league and I will make sure that they do not cheat in these spots. And how could you not have at least 4 reserve spots? I like owning a team not 1/2 a team and access to the waivers wire. I am not too down for charging for all sorts of transactions, I think that just overcomplicates things and makes people to conservative. The split season playoff idea and doubleheaders sound cool, but I don't think my league would be up for that.

I can't wait to do my draft! I think I will hold it x-mas break!! Not because I can't wait...more because that is when my friends will be home from college, so we can do it live.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Re: Thanks!

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:26 pm

shortsavage wrote:I can't wait to do my draft! I think I will hold it x-mas break!!

Oh My .. won't the first week of waivers be a blast ... ;-D ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers