Carlos Quentin Called up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Quentin Called up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby flowbee » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:29 am

Angels and Yankees expressed some interest. But he's a lot of money for such an underacheiving hitter and he has a no trade clause to some teams because he wants to stay by the Southwest. I'd rather Green stay with the Diamondbacks becasue I know he's going to go on a hotstreak and start hitting bombs all week at Chase Field
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:30 am

Niffoc4 wrote:Any rumors where Green and/or Gonzo could be traded? I read a month or so ago that St. louis would fit Gonzo well, since jocketty tends to trade for overpriced veterans so he does not have to give up much farm talent (since he doesn't have any) anything since then?

also Detroit may have interest in Shawn Green....

the DBacks would love for him to waive his no trade clause, and just have someone take over his 11.5 million salary..

That way they would have an open roster spot, and money to sign these young players in the next few years! ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JTWood » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:47 am

Dang it! I hope Quent stays below the rookie AB line. I'd like to be able to keep him another year in my keeper league for free, and I was counting on him not getting much playing time this year.

:-[

Nice to hear about the jack, though. ;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby cobbs87 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:53 am

Well what I really wonder is what value do they have for a fant team. I have a 14 man roto, non-keeper, and a 12 man h2h non keeper. Both yahoo. Would they serve any value in these types. Really what Im asking is what stats are we projecting at this point? Are they power, speed, avg? I know about Conor. I know Drew is supposed to be good but thats the extent frankly. And Quentin I just heard of today.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:38 am

Haze, I hate to pick on you, but a lot has changed since Sickels' wrote that in February. Quentin is repeating AAA this year and doing WORSE than his 2005 campaign, which is never a good sign. He has clearly fallen behind Drew, Upton, Gonzalez, and Young. He is lucky to make it in the top 20.

One thing you should be excited about is Carlos Gonzalez. Talk about a breakout year. If he keeps this up when he gets up to AA, it'll be hard to keep him out of the top 12.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:41 am

cobbs87 wrote:Well what I really wonder is what value do they have for a fant team. I have a 14 man roto, non-keeper, and a 12 man h2h non keeper. Both yahoo. Would they serve any value in these types. Really what Im asking is what stats are we projecting at this point? Are they power, speed, avg? I know about Conor. I know Drew is supposed to be good but thats the extent frankly. And Quentin I just heard of today.

Drew would be an excellent fantasy option if you're weak at SS. Quentin does not have much, as he does not have a lot of power, speed, or average. He's average in terms of fantasy value. As the D'backs fan said, a lot of his value comes from his defense and intangibles.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:24 am

rmande09 wrote:Haze, I hate to pick on you, but a lot has changed since Sickels' wrote that in February. Quentin is repeating AAA this year and doing WORSE than his 2005 campaign, which is never a good sign. He has clearly fallen behind Drew, Upton, Gonzalez, and Young. He is lucky to make it in the top 20.

One thing you should be excited about is Carlos Gonzalez. Talk about a breakout year. If he keeps this up when he gets up to AA, it'll be hard to keep him out of the top 12.

yet again...that is nothing more than your OPINION :-P

You flatter me, with the fact you feel the need to disagree with everything I say, or opinion I have..

It's all good... I'm not worried about you "Picking on me"

I'm quite confident in my opinions, and the track record of others I've followed over the years! ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:47 am

I think Quentin became bored and stagnant this year in the minors because he knew he deserved to be in the majors right now and was just wasting his time because it didn't really matter how well he did unless Arizona could move Gonzo and/or Green. I think Delmon Young is suffering from the same ailment except he replaces the boredom with anger and agression. I don't at all think Quentin has regressed from the prospect he is this year. ;-D
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

Postby tlsttsk » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:26 am

what are we banking on here? is quentin the man to pick up in yahoo leagues with the number one priority? is there anyone left down there not in yahoo yet thats worth more?
tlsttsk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:10 am

Purple Haze wrote:
rmande09 wrote:Haze, I hate to pick on you, but a lot has changed since Sickels' wrote that in February. Quentin is repeating AAA this year and doing WORSE than his 2005 campaign, which is never a good sign. He has clearly fallen behind Drew, Upton, Gonzalez, and Young. He is lucky to make it in the top 20.

yet again...that is nothing more than your OPINION :-P

You flatter me, with the fact you feel the need to disagree with everything I say, or opinion I have..

It's all good... I'm not worried about you "Picking on me"

I'm quite confident in my opinions, and the track record of others I've followed over the years! ;-D

You're clearly biased towards the D'backs, which is somewhat understandable. It is not my opinion but a fact that Quentin's lack of progress at AAA hurt his stock as a prospect. Why he regressed is an opinion, but it really does not matter - it hurt him as a prospect. That bein said, it could quite possibly be because he became bored with AAA, but a kid with his makeup and work ethic should not allow that to happen. He's fine and should be the type of player you'd love to have on your team. He's got team leader written all over him. He may never hit .320 or hit 30 homers or swipe 30 bags, but he will be consistent, a fixture in the lineup, a very good defender and an excellent presence on and off the field.

I'm a Sox fan so a good comparison in terms of how he should be viewed is Varitek.

The future of the D'backs is very bright. With Drew at SS and Upton in CF, it's hard to think it can get much better, but you still have three other top OF prospects. Though Quentin and Young have slipped a bit, you know my opinion on Quentin and Young should be a very solid 5-6 hitter with decent average but very good pop. Gonzalez is the top of the 3, and if he can improve his work ethic and dedication he will be a MONSTER. Has a beautiful swing, natural ability to hit to all fields, and tremendous power. Cut down on the Ks, increase the walks and you have a top 5 prospect after next season.

Plus CJackson, Matt Torra, and Micah Owings, the future is bright in Arizona.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers