Carlos Quentin Called up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Quentin Called up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Quentin Called up

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:21 pm

Diamondbacks recalled outfielder Carlos Quentin from Tripel-A Tucson.
Quentin is ready to play regularly in right field, but the Diamondbacks are only going to use him against lefties unless they deal Luis Gonzalez or Shawn Green, both of whom have no-trade protection. He figures to have little fantasy value for now. Jul. 20 - 7:35 pm et

rotoworld
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:24 pm

bout time!
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

First hit

Postby bigjimblue » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:17 pm

And his first hit was a HR!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:36 pm

Good news, fantasy wise however, not gonna bite, lotta young guys out there with better stats in the minors with a little more experience in the majors to give this guy a look now...also cbs.sportsline has him playing primarily against lefties being that Green and Gonzalez are getting most of the time.

To use a fishing anology, i've already tried to hook Kemp and others early only to lose the fish...gotta let these players nibble on the hook for a bit longer.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:36 am

Philliebuster wrote:Good news, fantasy wise however, not gonna bite, lotta young guys out there with better stats in the minors with a little more experience in the majors to give this guy a look now...also cbs.sportsline has him playing primarily against lefties being that Green and Gonzalez are getting most of the time.

To use a fishing anology, i've already tried to hook Kemp and others early only to lose the fish...gotta let these players nibble on the hook for a bit longer.

Sometimes if you let them nibble to much, you let the big one get away.. ;-7

Look for Luis Gonzalez, and or Shawn Green to be traded within the next week or so... (Already talk of lifting there no trade clauses, to go play elsewhere)

I'm VERY happy the DBacks are finally letting the youngins play...Hopefully it will be more than just a temporary fit, and we will see the start of the new "Baby Backs" :-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cobbs87 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:52 am

Don't know much about him. How good do you think he will be? The young hitters have been mediocre this year. I caught matt kemp feaver and it didn't pan out for more than a couple weeks.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:13 am

cobbs87 wrote:Don't know much about him. How good do you think he will be? The young hitters have been mediocre this year. I caught matt kemp feaver and it didn't pan out for more than a couple weeks.

John Sickles had this to say about Carlos Quentin on Feb 20th 2006:

I expect some of this will be controversial at the top. I prefer Quentin over Drew and Jackson for the non-objective reason that he looks like one hell of a player to me on a personal scouting basis. Drew has more athleticism and Jackson is more polished in some ways as a hitter, but Quentin has the best combination (in my opinion) of athleticism, skills, enthusiasm, and work ethic. I fully recognize that not everyone will agree with that. Drew has a higher ceiling, I admit, but I think it more likely that Quentin will reach his.
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:14 am

another tidbit from "GURU" John Sickles:

D-Backs
By John Sickels

I have it

Carlos Quentin
Stephen Drew
Chris Young
Conor Jackson

in that order.

Picking Quentin ahead of Drew is a tough call, since Drew may have more defensive value. But Quentin is proven at a higher level of play than Drew, and while Quentin is an OF and Drew a SS, everything I have heard and from seeing them play in person I think Quentin takes his defensive role more seriously and has better "intangibles," though of course that's impossible to quantify. But the bottom line is that I am slightly more confident that Quentin will live up to his overall potential.

They are both still outstanding prospects and both are in the overall Top Ten in all of baseball.
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:18 am

Any rumors where Green and/or Gonzo could be traded? I read a month or so ago that St. louis would fit Gonzo well, since jocketty tends to trade for overpriced veterans so he does not have to give up much farm talent (since he doesn't have any) anything since then?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:28 am

Niffoc4 wrote:Any rumors where Green and/or Gonzo could be traded? I read a month or so ago that St. louis would fit Gonzo well, since jocketty tends to trade for overpriced veterans so he does not have to give up much farm talent (since he doesn't have any) anything since then?

Sports Illustrated: "Diamondbacks fans must be salivating at the rumors that the Yankees are interested in acquiring Shawn Green. He'd have to waive his limited no-trade clause, and whoever picks him up will be on the hook for at least $11.5 million of salary through next season. And that's not even counting the expense of buying a time machine to go back to 2002 when Green was still kind of good. [Memo to SI: Green's .309 BA is actually 5th best among all qualifying major-league right-fielders this year, and even his OPS is still in the top ten.] However, some team looking for an outfield power bat always bites on this kind of guy, and this year probably will be no exception."
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers