B. Wickman just traded to the Braves! New closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

B. Wickman just traded to the Braves! New closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Starkmadfan » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:37 pm

Richie Rich wrote:
Starkmadfan wrote:Thanks for the heads up - just grabbed both Wickman and Carmona now :-)

ive had them both for 2 weeks since piatowski from guru.com recommended picking carmona up...now i have 4 closers =)

I got to check that webpage - I got 4 too - Lidge, Julio, Wickman, and Carmona - hopefully these guys will do something good :-o .
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Richie Rich » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:44 pm

Starkmadfan wrote:
Richie Rich wrote:
Starkmadfan wrote:Thanks for the heads up - just grabbed both Wickman and Carmona now :-)

ive had them both for 2 weeks since piatowski from guru.com recommended picking carmona up...now i have 4 closers =)

I got to check that webpage - I got 4 too - Lidge, Julio, Wickman, and Carmona - hopefully these guys will do something good :-o .

sorry its not just guru.com, its usually on the main fantasy page of yahoo!, the guys name is scott pianowski and he writes for http://www.fantasyguru.com
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby trawgdoor » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:53 pm

As of now I have M. Gonzalez as my third closer behind Papelbon and Putz in a 10 Team Mixed... Both Wickman and Carmona are available. Should either be picked over Gonzalez for remainder of season?

Thanks
trawgdoor
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ivanhack » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:23 pm

trawgdoor wrote:As of now I have M. Gonzalez as my third closer behind Papelbon and Putz in a 10 Team Mixed... Both Wickman and Carmona are available. Should either be picked over Gonzalez for remainder of season?

Thanks

Take Wickman! ;-D
ivanhack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Richie Rich » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:23 pm

i honestly think both are better options than gonzalez, especially wicky with a surging bravos squad!
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ordinarygenius » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:10 pm

To make things official, the following from Rotoworld. Indeed, the big question now is who will work as set-up guys in Cleveland.

«Indians GM Mark Shapiro confirmed that Fausto Carmona would replace Bob Wickman in the closer's role.
"He's got great stuff," Shapiro said. "He's been successful in a setup role. This will allow us to take a look at him the rest of the season in a closing role and see how he responds." We're expecting him to respond just fine. More of a concern is how the Indians are going to get the ball to him in the ninth. It'd help a great deal if Fernando Cabrera would step up.»
ordinarygenius
College Coach
College Coach

Postby u_fig_eater » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:22 pm

Well I'm on the Carmona bandwagon...I'll start him on my bench though, to give him some time. I missed out on Putz so I couldnt pass up this chance.
u_fig_eater
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:42 pm

From what I've seen of Carmona, he's the real deal. He's raw still, but has a great fastball with movement. There may be an adjustment period, and there's always the "pressure" factor that's hard to predict how he handles it. Closers have to have short memories and be confident even if they got raked the last time out. It's easier said than done.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ryno23 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:50 pm

Richie Rich wrote:

I never imagined I'd have to handcuff a CL in fantasy baseball, but that's what I did a few weeks ago when the Wickman trade rumors started. I figured he'd get traded to a team to be a set-up man, so I grabbed Carmona as my #2 holds guy, figuring they'd just basically swap roles on my team once Wickman was traded.

Now I've got 4 closers and almost need another setup man for holds now. Good problem to have. It's time to send out some trade offers.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby glcmustliveon » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:18 pm

Any tribe fans see this guy pitch? I see he's only given up about 4 runs in relief this year, his ERA is artificially high because of his disastrous starts this year. I was offered carmona for edwin encarnacion.

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates