How to combat roster churners/streamers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to combat roster churners/streamers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:52 pm

schmidty wrote:After the league has been formed, like others have said, there's not much you can do. I would say just play your game -- it would be a mistake to drop a player worthy of being on your roster (who someone else might pick up from waivers) just to play the churning game for a week.

I don't stream in baseball, but in fantasy basketball, I, at one time this past season, owned Boris Diaw and Raymond Felton and streaming them off my roster caused me to lose the league in the championship round.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby iftn » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:34 pm

jealousblues wrote:he has just started this as a desperation move after falling off.

HIs team is a team I should beat up, but im going to for sure lose two cats, and that limits me catching the guys above me. Its just annoying, thats all.

im totally with you on this. happening to me right now. same guy who did it to me the last time we faced.

he picks up and drop pitchers daily. now hes guaranteed Ks and wins, which sucks. hes not playing the game...hes playing the system.

you put your team up there. i put mine. better team wins. period.

thats how it should go but thats not how it does unfortunately. and i cannot match him because i have no one bad enough to drop.
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bravo369 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:15 pm

I used this strategy 2 years ago and it worked really well. I was hit by a bunch of injuries so i had roster spots open. I started picking up spot starters every day and i rose in the standings. It became difficult once guys came off the DL.

I upset other guys in my league (good thing they were all friends of mine)...finished with 167 moves for the season. I would pick up a guy, stay up till 3am and then drop him and pick up a starter for the next day already. I finished 4th in the season and 3rd in the playoffs.
bravo369 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Antrodemus » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:22 pm

If you've got plenty of 'bulk' stat categories like W, K, IP then it can be an easy way to a victory every week, especially if you get torched in the first day or two.
Something I've been doing to offset the bad ERA and WHIP you inevitably get is load up on middle relief as well. My 6 relief guys (2 SP-eligible) combined will give me 15-20 innings of cheap low-ratio work each week, meaning I have a comfortable lead in the bulk stats, and the third best season ERA despite not having a particularly good rotation (and Lidge and Benitez :-o ). I haven't been rotating as much recently though as the guys I've got have been pitching OK and the WW is a bit thin (Esteban Loaiza? I don't think so...)

The obvious counter is to go the other way and pitch the bare minimum. One guy in my league got really angry last week when his opponent saw he had something like 5 guys starting twice (similar to getting a lot of spot starts), realised he couldn't compete in the bulk stats, and pitched his two aces, a handful of relief appearances and then benched everyone for the last three days, winning most of the stats.
Comments? Help? Advice? Abuse? All major forms of correspondence gratefully accepted!
Antrodemus
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby iftn » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:00 am

im just waiting for this guy to drop maddux (the newest cycled pitcher he has) and pick up either: millwood, westbrook, radke, marquis, hensley, seo, milton, etc...hes done it every day this week. :-t
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby iftn » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:05 pm

yep - he did it again. :-t :-t
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby iftn » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:11 pm

and i just realized he only does this against me! i was looking at the league roster moves from all season long and if you go back to when he made pitching swaps over and over again...guess what? that was the exact last time we faced.

NOT a coincidence.
iftn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rainman23 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:26 pm

Yeah, can be an effective strategy if one or two guys do it. Not at all if half the league gets into it. And at this point -- congratulations! -- whoever started this has f'ed up a potentially good league. It's an exceedingly lame strategy, for those who aren't particularly interested in the "baseball" part of fantasy baseball.

By the way -- I always subscribed to that idea that these guys were cutting their own throat, because they had to be sacrificing ERA and WHIP. Well, I've been convinced by some other players that this ain't necessarily so. If you're starting 20 guys a week, it's going to be tough for you to get a ratio that varies too far from the mean -- the mean for second tier pitchers, admittedly. You're probably not going to have a horrendous ERA or WHIP. If your opponent is starting 7 guys, a couple bad performances can hurt him badly. You're going to win these categories a healthy percentage of the time.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:38 pm

rainman23 wrote:Yeah, can be an effective strategy if one or two guys do it. Not at all if half the league gets into it. And at this point -- congratulations! -- whoever started this has f'ed up a potentially good league. It's an exceedingly lame strategy, for those who aren't particularly interested in the "baseball" part of fantasy baseball.

By the way -- I always subscribed to that idea that these guys were cutting their own throat, because they had to be sacrificing ERA and WHIP. Well, I've been convinced by some other players that this ain't necessarily so. If you're starting 20 guys a week, it's going to be tough for you to get a ratio that varies too far from the mean -- the mean for second tier pitchers, admittedly. You're probably not going to have a horrendous ERA or WHIP. If your opponent is starting 7 guys, a couple bad performances can hurt him badly. You're going to win these categories a healthy percentage of the time.

Very true. I still say there's nothing wrong with doing this though if your league allows it. The keeper league I'm in is replacing k's with k/9 next year to deal with this though. With 1 counting stat (wins) versus 3 ratio stats (k/9, era and whip) for starting pitchers you'd be crazy to go with this strategy...against teams that have a full complement of quality pitching you're semi-punting 3 categories (you may win a healthy % of the time in each category but nowhere near a 50/50 split). Toss in a decently high minimum ip to avoid people going with a RP only strategy to win all 3 ratio categories and you've effectively built a league where you can churn if you want to do so but the benefits just aren't there.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby rainman23 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:58 pm

Yep. Unless you're playing with a group of managers who know each other, and agree that the tactic is not acceptable, the key is setting up your league parameters so that it doesn't make sense. It's tough to deal with after the fact.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers