How to combat roster churners/streamers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to combat roster churners/streamers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:55 pm

jealousblues wrote:I know Hudson is a vet, and I usually go for Vets over rookies

But Reyes has been up for about 5-6 starts, and he has 3.83 ERA
31Ks to 13 BB and a 1.12 WHIP

while Hudson has a 4.95 ERA 81K to 45 BB and a 1.45 WHIP

Sure, if you think Hudson is done, then keep Reyes. But if you think Hudson's just in a slump, and he'll get back to his reliable, slightly above average self, then you want him. Reyes may end up better than Hudson, but he's not going to be Liriano, and he's going to get rocked a number of times.

The risk is higher with Reyes, and the ceiling is essentially the same, IMO, which is why I would pick Hudson. Next year, I'd take Reyes.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shmolex » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:27 pm

if you have a free roster spot, you can beat him to the punch by picking up the best spot starter for the next day.
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:43 pm

pibb55 wrote:Beat him in hitting + ERA, whip and saves and pick up pitchers like Hudson when he drops them

Ick hudson :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:46 pm

you dont need to combat this at all...like everyone else said if hes not making GOOD pickups and they end up killing his ERA and WHIP, all you have to do is win saves and you end up beating him in the pitching CATS. in my league we took out WHIP and made it H and BB allowed. we also have W AND L along with K, ERA, and IP (added just to make sure everyone is keeping up and you gotta love the 70 IP weeks with a 1.90 ERA !!!

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby gostanford07 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:52 pm

This has been a major topic of discussion in our league all year. Last year I was one of only 2 or so people that tried the streaming strategy and for whatever reason, it worked, as I won the league. So, a couple of my leaguemates caught on and now 4 or 5 managers pick up pitchers every day so it's basically a race to get them at midnight lol. Anyway, I started the season as one of these guys but have since then stopped as I realized the strategy really isn't that good at all. It basically came down to the fact that in a basic 5x5 league, streaming only helps 2 categories while basically eliminates you from the 2 ration cats. Thus, the week is decided by who has the most saves, which is why I regularly start 5 closers.

i don't think you have to change your game plan to stop a "streamer". I guess one possibilitty would be to bench some of your starters in borederline games. If there is a chance that they will get lit, you might want to bench them so you don't take the ERA and WHIP hit. Other than that, the only way is to have alot of closers lol
gostanford07
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Re: How to combat roster churners/streamers?

Postby swyck » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:22 pm

jealousblues wrote:He was as high as number two this season, and just dropped down to like 7-8th.

What should I do to combat this, or is there not much I can do?

Why combat him at all? You said yourself that he's fallen off the pace.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby jealousblues » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:05 pm

Yeah, but it sucks because it almost garuntees I love K's and W's. Im in third in h2h, and would like to have a fair chance at catching up with the guys above me. now im all but given two losses.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bravelaker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:08 pm

This is why i get alot of closers. I will get enough saves usually by midweek and bench everyone. I will let him have k's and wins and take save, era and whip.
bravelaker
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jealousblues » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:09 pm

he has just started this as a desperation move after falling off.

HIs team is a team I should beat up, but im going to for sure lose two cats, and that limits me catching the guys above me. Its just annoying, thats all.
JH32
jealousblues
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:16 pm

Churning is, for instance, when you pick up a starting pitcher off FA on Friday when they have a start on Monday and drop him the preceeding day to waivers which blocks someone else from picking him for his start. Then doing the same thing the next day and thereafter to block the spot starter from picking up the best pitchers or those pitchers with the best matchups available. Its a sound strategy if you have the roster space and moves available. It also works really well if you if you can do it to the team you play a few days in advance.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 120)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers