HoF Debate: Don Mattingly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HoF Debate: Don Mattingly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HoF Debate: Don Mattingly

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:29 am

At Bat: Don Mattingly

A 5-time AL All-Star in 14 seasons all spent in pinstripes, 'Donnie Baseball' is one of this generation (or maybe the previous generation) of Yankee fans' cult heroes. The 1985 AL MVP winner finished his career with over 2,100 Hits, 220 HR, and just 1 shy of 1,100 RBI. A career .307 hitter, Mattingly reached base at a clip of .358 while slugging .471. Mattingly wrapped up his career with an OPS+ of 127, a 6.29 RC/27, a career BRAA of 357, and an 85.0 WARP3, for saber guys. While the pain of never capturing a World Series ring stays with Mattingly to this day, he's no stranger to collecting hardware. As noted above, 1985 AL MVP, 9 Gold Glove Awards, 3 Silver Sluggers; at different points Mattingly led the league in AVG, SLG, OPS, Hits (twice), TB (twice), Doubles (three times), RBI, Adjusted OPS+ (twice), Runs Created, and EBH (twice).

(My computer's having issues right now copy/pasting, so if somebody would post his Baseball-Reference HoF Meter stats, that'd be great)

So, what else don't we know about Donnie? With the number of Yankee fans at the Cafe growing each day, I imagine he'll have a strong following -- and with the number of people who just denied Fred McGriff his HoF nomination -- well I imagine we'll have two sides to this coin...

So, is he in? Which ballot? No? Why or why not?

Remember, NO FLAMING/INSTIGATIN'!

Enjoy! ;-D
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukrneal » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:53 am

Here you go:

Don Mattingly:
Black Ink: Batting - 23 (83) (Average HOFer ~ 27)
Gray Ink: Batting - 111 (182) (Average HOFer ~ 144)
HOF Standards: Batting - 34.1 (208) (Average HOFer ~ 50)
HOF Monitor: Batting - 133.5 (93) (Likely HOFer > 100)
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:01 am

I'd vote no on Mattingly.
He has 4 very good seasons from 84-87. Defensively he was great.
That's about it though. He peak wasn't high enough and his career wasn't long enough IMO.

For comparison's sake Will Clark while not the defensive player Mattingly was has better offensive numbers across the board.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby tianyi86 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:34 am

Big name, but not really big time offensive stats. I would like to see him in because I'm a yankee fan, but I don't think he should be in.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Big Stick » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:52 am

Well this is a pretty simple decision for me. If the hall of fame has Kirby Puckett in why not "Donnie Baseball".

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/mattido01.shtml Don Mattingly's numbers are very much coparable with those of Kirby's. What seperates the two is the ring which Mattingly never won.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/puckeki01.shtml
Last edited by The Big Stick on Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Signature by: RedWoodTree824
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:52 am

Donnie Baseball is my favorite player all-time. He was awesome. He just couldn't stay healthy. If not for his bad back, he would have had several more great seasons throughout the early 1990s and likely would have played past 1995 (and would have likely picked up the WS ring that so alluded him).

It's a shame that a bad back is the thing that keeps him out of the HOF, but that's the case. He just didn't have a long enough career to be a HOFer (although how Kirby Puckett is in and Donnie isn't, is a mystery to me). Donnie certainly has a case, based on the hardware he collected, his peak, and the fact that other people equal or worse than him got in, but overall, I'd have to say no, he's not a HOFer. :-/
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Fool42 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:14 am

This is a tough one because he was certainly the face of the Yanks for that time period and was always one of the better hitters. Great glove, above avereage hitter with a decent amount of pop. NOt really the kind of power you like to see from a 1B but with the other stuff he was always one of the better 1b's around. It's is a very tough choice but I say he doesn't get in. The one thing he does have going for him though is that other than Steinbrenner he was the Yankees in that time period.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby decoy562 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:46 am

No HOF for you!
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby noseeum » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:04 am

He had an amazing six year run. Whoever said his peak was not high enough, WHAT? His peak is certainly high enough. His 1985 year is amazing. Don't compare it to stats now. Compare it to stats then. Top 10 in pretty much every offensive category, and number 1 in many of them. Plus, the gold glove.

Definitely a Hall of Fame talent, and I'd be cheering if he made it. But I can't really campaign to get him in there. Not long enough of a dominant streak, unfortunately.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby giants! » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:09 am

Id love to see Mattingly get in, but I dont think he should for the reasons mentioned by everyone else.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers