Johnson, Olsen, Reyes, Cain - TORN - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Johnson, Olsen, Reyes, Cain - TORN

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:12 pm

I JUST included it in the post you quoted. I unintentionally deflected it the first time because I didn't think a full description was necessary.

rmande09 wrote:It is a very common term used to describe a pitchers repertoire - the pitches he throws - and how successful they are. It is a combination of velocity, movement, and how each pitch complements the rest of his repertoire.

Right there. As an example, Matt Cain has an explosive fastball that sits between 92-96, and he can get it up to 98. It has late action that makes it look like it gains speed as it gets to the hitter.

He has an excellent 12-6 power curve that generally sits between 80-84. Same motion as a fastball, very tight, sharp rotation, and it appears to just fall off the table.

He features an above average changeup that is usually between 85-88. Again, it looks like a fastball out of his hand, rotation of his fastball, and on its way to the plate, it looks like he pulls a string, as the ball dies straight down.

Does that help you, sir?
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TurdFerguson » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:58 pm

rmande09 wrote:Ummm... Have you seen Lester pitch? His fastball is 93-95, and gets up to 96. His two-seam has a lot of run on it and sits around 91-92. His cutter is disgusting. And his curveball is better than good. It's not great, but it's a K pitch versus lefties.

The only pitch Olsen has Lester in is his change.
Last edited by TurdFerguson on Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TurdFerguson » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:00 pm

rmande09 wrote:Ummm... Have you seen Lester pitch? His fastball is 93-95, and gets up to 96. His two-seam has a lot of run on it and sits around 91-92. His cutter is disgusting. And his curveball is better than good. It's not great, but it's a K pitch versus lefties.

I have seen Lester pitch every start he has had this year.He does not get it up there that often.He works in the low 90s.Olsen has a better fastball and his slider is as good as Lesters curve. You are just obviously a homer towards your players thats why you are getting in so many disagreements.I think they are pretty identical in alot of ways though
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:22 pm

TurdFerguson wrote:

I have seen Lester pitch every start he has had this year.He does not get it up there that often.He works in the low 90s.Olsen has a better fastball and his slider is as good as Lesters curve. You are just obviously a homer towards your players thats why you are getting in so many disagreements.I think they are pretty identical in alot of ways though

If they are similar in a lot of ways, how do you see Olsen as part of the top 5 in this class yet not impressed by Lester's stuff. I admitted I was biased towards Lester, but they are very similar. I prefer Lester because he has one more pitch (the cutter). I am watching Lester now and he has been anywhere from 91-94 with his fastball. He throws his cutter a lot, and thats usually 88-91.

It's just a matter of opinion.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:32 pm

this is still going? can hybrid give us a final verdict?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TurdFerguson » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:39 pm

rmande09 wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

If they are similar in a lot of ways, how do you see Olsen as part of the top 5 in this class yet not impressed by Lester's stuff. I admitted I was biased towards Lester, but they are very similar. I prefer Lester because he has one more pitch (the cutter). I am watching Lester now and he has been anywhere from 91-94 with his fastball. He throws his cutter a lot, and thats usually 88-91.

It's just a matter of opinion.
Please show me where I said Olsen was in the top 5 of that class.I simply stated that I liked Olsen more than Lester.I am watching the game also and he pretty much stays in the low 90s.He is throwing meat to the Mariners.It does all have to do with opinion.Olsen is just more attractive to me also because of the NL.Lester will have some though days ahead in that division considering his stuff is not overpowereing.I do like alot of the insight you have given on all of these pitchers ;-D
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:07 pm

Glad we can agree! I have not been impressed by Lester today, though I'm sure he's got some nerves as it's his first start in his home state. Lots of friends and family there to watch. Young guys will have rough outings, everyone does.

You do have a good point about Olsen pitching in that stadium in the NL East.

rmande09
Minor League Mentor