Gall to play in Korea - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Gall to play in Korea

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gall to play in Korea

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:03 am

Gall bound for Korea

Twice the organization's minor league player of the year, outfielder John Gall was released by the Cardinals on Monday so that he could sign with a professional team in Korea. Gall, 28, was in his fourth season with Class AAA Memphis, batting .287 with 34 RBIs in 82 games. His best shot at staying in the majors came last fall, when he hit his way onto the postseason roster.

Otherwise, he'd spent most of his recent time in Class AAA, idling as a successful hitter but learning new positions to be more attractive to the majors.

"John worked his tail off, playing left field, right field and first base," Memphis manager Danny Sheaffer said Tuesday. "He might have been in a better situation with a different organization that wasn't so set (at third and first bases). ... If St. Louis was not going to have interest in him and he had a chance to make some money for himself (in Korea), it was a good opportunity."

Gall, a righthanded hitter, was flirting with .400 in Memphis when he was promoted in April of this season. He got three hits in 12 at-bats before being returned to Memphis.

The organization honored Gall in 2002 and 2003, as he hit better than .290 with at least 19 homers in each season.

Should Gall clear major-league waivers, he will be a free agent and removed from the 40-man roster. He is expected to join the Lotte Giants in Korea's professional league for the rest of their season.

link
I never thought the Cards gave him a real shot. The guy can hit. Best of luck in Korea.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gall to play in Korea

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:25 pm

the cards never really gave him a shot, and other teams have probably given lesser players a shot, but i dont know that gall really deserved a shot with the cardinals. there isnt exactly a shortage of guys who cant really field well, hit for a decent but not exactly spectacular average, and display only modest power. maybe he could have become a bench player. best of luck in korea. i hope he does well. it must have been pretty frustrating rotting away in memphis for all that time. i'm a little surprised walt wasnt able to include him in a trade, but i guess guys with his skill set are sort of a dime a dozen.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to St. Louis Cardinals