Soriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Soriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mikhayl » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:42 pm

LoPan wrote:With Soriano, it seems that you can look at all of the teams that are interested in Abreu as being interested in Soriano. They are the same price range, same position, and both power bats. Nothing to back this up other than speculation, but I guess it means you could throw in the Yankees, Tigers, Angels, M's, and RedSox and Mets.

The big difference between the two is that Soriano is 2 years younger and seems to be further from decline while Abreu is already in decline. It would behoove any team that acquires Soriano to sign him to an extension when the trade is executed. If the Nats find a team to do that, and I think they will, there will be a huge return. Abreu may not get an extension and as such, he could be cheap.
Last edited by mikhayl on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:45 pm

I just traded for Soriono on my mlb game for the 360.

We could really use his speed and power.
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mreater71 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:09 pm

I also heard that Soriano could possibly be traded to Detroit and that Thames would possibly be in the trade package for him.
Mreater71
College Coach
College Coach

Postby joselnceldran » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:14 am

u guys think moving soriano will greatly affect his numbers?
joselnceldran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:43 am

I know the Angels wanted him, but what the Nats were asking was way too much. The Angels see Soriano as strictly a rent-a-player for a run at the ring this year and aren't looking to re-sign him past this year so they aren't going to trade their top tier prospects. They haven't completely ruled him out, but only if the price comes down, they're not upping their offer.

The Angels think in three years, if they stand pat, they'll have the best, deepest team in the league, and plenty of cash to grad a top free agent and their not going to deplete that for a three month guy.

This off-season, they may make a play for Jason Bay or some other good young outfielder. Or maybe just go for Gary Mathews Jr. type of the FA market. THey know that at best, Garret Anderson is probably at best a platoon DH for a year or two, and the thinking is, Vladdy is going to DH against lefty starters to give him more rest next year so the want another OF, though the thinking is, they may not need to sign a Mathews if Tommy Murphy develops. If Murphy develops like they hope, rather than signing free agents, they're looking more at locking up their young stars to long term deals.

The stand pat plan basically revolves around superior pitching and a solid and deep line-up, with Kendrick as the main star, but no easy outs really in the lineup. They'd like to get a 2nd star like a Jason Bay, but they may just wait till he's a free agent rather than trade for him.. But there's also the feeling that Brendan Wood and Napoli may develop to be the 2nd star they need in the order to protect Hendrick.

I've heard that the Angels think Kendrick will be the best 2B in the game, a 330, 30/30 kind of player and that he's untouchable unless it's part of a deal that brings Miggy Cabrera or Carl Crawford.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby joselnceldran » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:53 am

Wow ive seen kendrick play and heard a lot of good things bout him but dint know he was that untouchable. And i did hear that LA arent the top contenders for the soriano bid i hear its Yanks, Mets, Tigers and even white sox.
joselnceldran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby joselnceldran » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Nationals president Stan Kasten told the media on Sunday that he has had discussions with left fielder Alfonso Soriano and agent Diego Bentz about Soriano staying with the Nationals beyond the 2006 season.
joselnceldran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:00 pm

White Sox "extremely close" to trading for Soriano

The White Sox are "extremely close" to trading for Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano, a source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Tim Kurkjian. The Nationals have great interest in pitcher Brandon McCarthy.

The White Sox, said the source, also are close to acquiring pitcher Mike MacDougal from the Royals in exchange for minor league pitcher Tyler Lumsden.

Soriano joined Washington last offseason in a trade from Texas, and the Nationals shifted him from second base to left field. Soriano is batting .288 with 31 homers, 62 RBI and 25 steals.

The slugger, who is scheduled to become a free agent at the end of the season, said Sunday he wanted to remain in Washington but doubted he and the Nationals could agree to a contract extension before the deadline.

The five-time All-Star said he spoke with incoming Nationals president Stan Kasten on Thursday, but they didn't discuss contract details. Soriano added that he doesn't think his agent, Diego Bentz, has discussed numbers with the Nationals, either.

One potential stumbling block if the sides did agree on a new contract: Soriano said he wants a no-trade clause, something Kasten pointed out Sunday he refused to include in contracts he negotiated in recent years while an executive with the Atlanta Braves, the NBA's Hawks and the NHL's Thrashers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2528494
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigmoney » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:07 pm

ouch it must hurt to hear that as a tigers fan

where would soriano bat if he were on the White Sox? if not leadoff (Podsednik), 3rd (Thome), 4th (Konerko), or even fifth (Dye), his fantasy numbers would really drop. But he's so friggin good, Ozzie must bat him leadoff over Podsednik right?
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:21 pm

That would be a stupid move for the sox imo, the Tigers really need to push this.
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates