Howie Kendrick just named as platoon starter with Kennedy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Howie Kendrick just named as platoon starter with Kennedy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Bosy Billups » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:41 am

Although we all want Kendrick to takeover, remember that AK is not THAT bad.

There is a difference between Fantasy and Real Life Baseball, as in, clubhouse chemistry. AK is a piece of the Angels, and they can't just waive him or trade him without anything of value in return...otherwise, what message does that send to his colleagues, ala Cabrera, Guerrero, Anderson.

PS - Though, AK is probably no dummy. He knows he won't be an Angel come next year, and that Kendrick is the future. But, because the Angels are playing well without much production from 2B, they will keep the platoon. I almost wish they were playing worse, then they would probably have shipped Kennedy out already.
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:00 am

I think when you're in the playoff hunt, you owe it to the fans to put the best roster on the field that you can. That obligation should trump every other consideration. Unless he hangs it up at the right time, Kendrick will someday be the guy sitting on the pine because they'll have someone better. That's the way pro sports should work anyway.

Every game counts. There's no way you can quantify it, but I'd bet that AK's lackluster games are probably costing us games we could've won. Those games might cost the Angels the AL West title and a shot ar a ring.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dc928 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:26 pm

Bosy Billups wrote:Although we all want Kendrick to takeover, remember that AK is not THAT bad.

There is a difference between Fantasy and Real Life Baseball, as in, clubhouse chemistry. AK is a piece of the Angels, and they can't just waive him or trade him without anything of value in return...otherwise, what message does that send to his colleagues, ala Cabrera, Guerrero, Anderson.

PS - Though, AK is probably no dummy. He knows he won't be an Angel come next year, and that Kendrick is the future. But, because the Angels are playing well without much production from 2B, they will keep the platoon. I almost wish they were playing worse, then they would probably have shipped Kennedy out already.

I know there is a difference between Fantasy and Real life baseball which makes me wonder why Stoneman is still the GM for the Angels. But anyway, AK needs to be shop even if not equal value. I mean he is junk now, no one wants him for a high prospect. You'd be lucky if you can give AK and get back a decent prospect. At this point you just have to designate him for assignments. I think it'd be good for the team both now and the future. The people you have menion Vald, O Carbrea and GA they all earned their spot. GA isn't what he use to be but he is still a better hitter than AK. If Vlad or O Carbrea is as bad as AK then they should be shop or drop too. That is just part of the game. I mean by keeping multiple prospects and AK what kind of messange are we sending to the future stars for the Angels....what you can't play here even if you are good? I mean it doesn't make any sense. Angels has so many talent and they can't make any deals? They are multiple good postional players to trade away.....while keep the Crawn Jowel in house and yet they can't make any deals? I don't know what the heck Stoneman is thinking.....

:-t
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Versus righty pitchers, AK can still put up almost decent #s, but he's basically a singles only hitter now. The one "plus" in his game (and I'm really being generous here to search this deep to find a "plus" here) is that, especially against good righties that he has little chance of hitting on, he's often very good at fouling off a lot of pitches and that can help get a pitchers pitch count up and get to the bullpen earlier.

Versus lefites though, it's like the Angels were playing under NL rules. His obp was barely above the Mendoza line, his average WELL BELOW it.

The platoon situation is just Scioscia's way of delaying reality a little longer. Kendrick can outproduce AK versus righties too, but he just can't bring himself yet to totally bench a beloved vet.

What's odd about AK is, he used to be fairly good, but he shows all the signs of being in the last stages of age-enduced loss of bat speed, but at his age, he shouldn't be there yet. He's playing like he's 35, not 30.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates