Steven Drew is Baseball America's #1 Prospect! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Steven Drew is Baseball America's #1 Prospect!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:25 am

Delmon Young could step onto the field for the Devil Rays right now, hit .300, steal 30 bases, hit for moderate power, and play tremendous defense - at the age of 20! (he isn't because of makeup issues, but that's a different story).

Stephen Drew IS a top prospect, without question, and the D'backs system is top in the Bigs, without question. But Drew's ceiling is .300-30-5. Delmon's is .320-40-40 and Gold Glove defense. Delmon is definitely going to be a good Big Leaguer, as will Drew. Whether they reach their ceiling or not, who knows. But it's really not that close! Delmon and Gordon are, by far, the most elite of the prospects. Gordon is pretty much a lock to be a star. Wood is a better SS prospect than Drew. Ninety-five percent of credible baseball sources will tell you this.

John Manuel listed Howie Kendrick NINTH. How? He will be a batting champ someday. His ceiling of .340+-25-25 at second base is UNREAL for such a weak position, and he's more certain to reach his ceiling than any other player in baseball because he is such a good hitter! He belongs right behind Delmon and Gordon.

These are the best midseason rankings out:

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/20 ... ason_4.php

Bryan Smith is well known, well respected, and VERY good with his rankings. He has been dead on for years now.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby reiser » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:20 am

rmande09 wrote: Oh, and this list was John Manuel's list, not BA's. BA's preseason top 100 is a collection of all the great minds there, but this was just Manuel's. His list was not very good.

Somewhere on the BA site Manuel talks about the list, and says straight up that the suspension cost Young the top spot. Something to the effect that no one doubts Young ability, but that there are now legitimate doubts about discipline.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:40 am

reiser wrote:
rmande09 wrote: Oh, and this list was John Manuel's list, not BA's. BA's preseason top 100 is a collection of all the great minds there, but this was just Manuel's. His list was not very good.

Somewhere on the BA site Manuel talks about the list, and says straight up that the suspension cost Young the top spot. Something to the effect that no one doubts Young ability, but that there are now legitimate doubts about discipline.

Alright, that is acceptable. But that goes to show that Delmon's talent is greater than Drew's, even in the opinion of John Manuel. I sincerely hope Young learns from this, as his suspension cost him a lot of money, important development time, and a chance to break into the Bigs before September.

Also, this list is the opinion of JOHN MANUEL, not the entire staff at BA. I'd really like to hear why... more importantly HOW Howie Kendrick was ranked 9th. I just don't get that.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reiser » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:16 am

rmande09 wrote: Also, this list is the opinion of JOHN MANUEL, not the entire staff at BA. I'd really like to hear why... more importantly HOW Howie Kendrick was ranked 9th. I just don't get that.

well...not to be argumentative, but why would you rank him higher?
he seems like maybe a .310/10/10 2B in the majors, which makes him, what, Luis Castillo? he'll probably crank up the steals playing for Sciosia, but it seems like the ceiling is kind of limited .

plus, the Angels don't have a real good record of fully developing their talent right now, imho.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:44 am

reiser wrote:well...not to be argumentative, but why would you rank him higher?
he seems like maybe a .310/10/10 2B in the majors, which makes him, what, Luis Castillo? he'll probably crank up the steals playing for Sciosia, but it seems like the ceiling is kind of limited .

plus, the Angels don't have a real good record of fully developing their talent right now, imho.

First and foremost, don't worry about being argumentative. This is a forum meant for discussion, not to agree with what everyone says.

Now to Kendrick. How do you base your proections? He had a .359 career average entering this season, and it has gone up (!) since the season started. He flirted with .400 earlier this season and was even over .400 for a bit. He was hitting .369 in 69 games in his first stint at AAA. I'd say it's safe to say he projects to hit around .330 and higher.

His power has also developed very well. He had little to no power when drafted, hit 10 in 313 ABs in 2004 at A, 19 in 470 ABs in 2005 at A+ and AA, and had 13 in 290 ABs at AAA this season. His power is still developing, projects to hit 18-20, and has a ceiling of 25 home runs.

He's also a plus runner. He stole 15 in 2004 at 72%, stole 25 in 2005 at 86%, and he had 11 steals this season at 79%. He has great instincts on the bases and projects to swipe 20 with a ceiling around 25.

He is an average defender.

He is also the player in the minors most likely to reach his ceiling. He is pretty much a lock to put up .320-18-18 as soon as next year, should put up .330-20-20 in a couple of years, and has a ceiling of .350-25-25. That out of a 2B is ridiculous and belongs somewhere in the top 3.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby EvSolo » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:20 pm

can someone post the link to the rankings/
or is it the paper publication with the list
EvSolo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:08 pm

John Manuel's are, unfortunately, subscription only. I can't post it here because that's not legal, but check your PMs ;-D
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby reiser » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:27 pm

rmande09 wrote: He is also the player in the minors most likely to reach his ceiling.

well i do agree he is definitely major league ready. i just don't agree with a .330/25/25 ceiling. if he does, then he'll make a lot of fantsy owners very happy, and the Angels even happier :)
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rmande09 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:11 pm

reiser wrote:
rmande09 wrote: He is also the player in the minors most likely to reach his ceiling.

well i do agree he is definitely major league ready. i just don't agree with a .330/25/25 ceiling. if he does, then he'll make a lot of fantsy owners very happy, and the Angels even happier :)

By ceiling I mean his career year. If everything goes perfect, that is what he would do. 25 homers MIGHT be a stretch, but that's why it is a ceiling.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sLim » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:25 pm

hybrid wrote:The on-line subscription for 6 months is 39 bucks. Or if you had the magazine subscription (I forget about much) you get the same stuff and have access to their on-line site.

$39 for a 6month subscription?
id rather spend that $40 on my si subscription for the year...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball