Steven Drew is Baseball America's #1 Prospect! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Steven Drew is Baseball America's #1 Prospect!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Purple Haze » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:49 pm

rmande09 wrote:
Purple Haze wrote:
hybrid wrote:
sLim wrote:can anyone list the top 25?

Well that's the entire list and since it's a subscription only material ... pretty much illegal to post something like that in a forum.

It's not Illegal to DISCUSS what has been written in a "Subscription only area"

SO Let's discuss who is now the top 25...

Stephen Drew #1 and Delmon Young #2.... I agree with the switch, because you are about to see what BA has seen... ;-D

Batting averages in the minors aren't a good way to measure the future success of a certain prospect, Many more intangibles that can help determine what a prospect might do...

Now let's discuss the next 8 on the list... :-D

Homer D'backs fan. Drew is hardly a better prospect than Tulowitzki - Young is unreal. And Gordon, Kendrick, and Wood belong in front of Drew.

Homer? :-?

I guess BaseballAmerica are a bunch of "Homers" too... Since they are the ones who made Stephen Drew the #1 overall prospect...

Young is unreal? Indeed he is, but he doesn't play SS... We shall see how accurate BA's rankings are, and how much of a "Homer" I am...

Facts are Facts... I'm a DBack fan, but they do HAVE the best farm system in all of baseball, and at least one;maybe the most popular publication of all..Seems to agree, and has given Stephen drew the top spot!!! ;-D

I'm a "HOMER" DOH :*)
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:29 pm

I guess I am the only one who thinks Young is the better prospect. Batting average or not Young has more steals and more power. If you really want a number 3 hitter Young is your guy. The only reason Drew should be rated higher than Young is because he plays a position that is hard to find good quality, SS. What does Drew have that Young doesnt other than being SS eligible? If this is why he is number one over Young shoot me now.

I have to remember to bring this post up in about a year.
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:42 pm

houstonoilers wrote:I guess I am the only one who thinks Young is the better prospect. Batting average or not Young has more steals and more power. If you really want a number 3 hitter Young is your guy. The only reason Drew should be rated higher than Young is because he plays a position that is hard to find good quality, SS. What does Drew have that Young doesnt other than being SS eligible? If this is why he is number one over Young shoot me now.

I have to remember to bring this post up in about a year.

no you are the majority here.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:45 pm

dangit....I wanted to be the underdog
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby rmande09 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:59 pm

The D'backs DO have the best system in baseball, by far. I didn't say they didn't. And Drew is a TOP prospect, just not #1. He's not even the best SS prospect - Wood is.

He plays a premium position, but Kendrick does too. In fact, 2B is even weaker. Kendrick will hit for a much better average, swipe more bags, and hit for similar power. Kendrick makes great contact all the time, and does not K much. Drew does have a better eye, but Ks the same amount. Both play average defense.

Gordon comps as a left-handed David Wright. Hits the ball very well, has power to all fields, great BB:K ratio, almost 1, very good basestealer, excellent defender... He does it all. He could be a .310 - 35 - 25 guy. UNREAL.

Wood has sick power. He might not hit more than .280, but he could easily hit 40 homers easily. Again, great power to all fields. He's a big boy and may get moved to 3B, depending on MacPherson. Any prospect who has 45+ homer potential is a top 3 guy.

Delmon Young is hitting .330 as a 20 year old in AAA. He's 6'3", 205, and has ridiculously quick hands - that translates into HUGE power. He's got tremendous speed, great contact rate, great arm, great defense - he's pretty much the ultimate prospect. He's got 40-40 potential and projects to be a 30-30 guy annually. The one knock on Young is that he does not walk, but the thing is, he doesn't need to. He can hit any pitch on any part of the plate, and he can hit it HARD.

Tulowitzki is very comparable to Drew. Drew is a better hitter for average, but both have similar contact skills and patience. Their power is nearly identical, projecting somewhere around 25 homers. Tulo's swing is slightly long at times, but his hands are quick enough and his arms are long enough to still hit it hard. Drew is a slightly better hitter, but Tulo is a MUCH better defender. He has excellent range, a cannon, and great hands. Drew is average defensively. Tulo also has better speed, though not by much. Drew is generally ranked 8-10 spots higher simply because of name - they belong 2-3 spots apart.

Oh, and this list was John Manuel's list, not BA's. BA's preseason top 100 is a collection of all the great minds there, but this was just Manuel's. His list was not very good.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Purple Haze wrote:Batting averages in the minors aren't a good way to measure the future success of a certain prospect, Many more intangibles that can help determine what a prospect might do...

Obviously you don't just judge prospects on BA alone. But his overall production of work beyond A ball is less than great, in fact it's disappointing. To play in a hitters league and hitters park in AAA, well he pretty much had avg. to below avg. stats after a hot first month. A top prospect to me must not only have the tools but the production, and Drew simply didn't have enough IMO to be listed as #1.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:28 am

hybrid wrote:
Purple Haze wrote:Batting averages in the minors aren't a good way to measure the future success of a certain prospect, Many more intangibles that can help determine what a prospect might do...

Obviously you don't just judge prospects on BA alone. But his overall production of work beyond A ball is less than great, in fact it's disappointing. To play in a hitters league and hitters park in AAA, well he pretty much had avg. to below avg. stats after a hot first month. A top prospect to me must not only have the tools but the production, and Drew simply didn't have enough IMO to be listed as #1.

The reason Baseball America, and staff are the most popular publication on minor league players is because, they rank players on many different aspects.. The two main factors are, Overall potential (Straight up ability to play the game), and most likely to actually live-up to that potential (Players with that potential, who are closest to the Bigs) At least that is how I understand it.. :-?

I agree, on straight up potential, and not factoring in position... Delmon Young is far and away the most talented player in the minors... That being said... The reality is, positions do matter, and who is closest to living up to the hype matters as well...

Stephen Drew is now in the Bigs, and doing pretty well the first few games..(Not a big enough sample size to really get a feel, but still)

Looks like John Manuel has shown yet again, why he is one of the most respected sources on minor league prospects.. Yes I'm bias, but not like I'm out on a limb by myself on this one..

Stephen Drew is pretty good :-°

oh and one more thing...here comes Carlos Quentin... :-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:38 am

Purple Haze wrote:The reason Baseball America, and staff are the most popular publication on minor league players is because, they rank players on many different aspects.. The two main factors are, Overall potential (Straight up ability to play the game), and most likely to actually live-up to that potential (Players with that potential, who are closest to the Bigs) At least that is how I understand it.. :-?

I agree, on straight up potential, and not factoring in position... Delmon Young is far and away the most talented player in the minors... That being said... The reality is, positions do matter, and who is closest to living up to the hype matters as well...

Stephen Drew is now in the Bigs, and doing pretty well the first few games..(Not a big enough sample size to really get a feel, but still)

Looks like John Manuel has shown yet again, why he is one of the most respected sources on minor league prospects.. Yes I'm bias, but not like I'm out on a limb by myself on this one..

I know how BA ranks their players, and potential is basically the biggest basis for their rankings. Obviously position matters to but none of what you are saying really is what I'm talking about with Drew. I'm not saying Drew is a bad prospect, he is indeed a very good one. The point that I am making is that he hasn't done much since the start of the year (or above A ball) to show he is the best prospect in the minors. If you want to try and debate that go ahead, but I know how they rank and it's defiantly not right all the time ... or probably even most of the time. Not putting BA down at any rate, but that's what happens when you rank more so by potential and prospects are fickle in nature anyways.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Purple Haze » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:07 am

hybrid wrote:
Purple Haze wrote:The reason Baseball America, and staff are the most popular publication on minor league players is because, they rank players on many different aspects.. The two main factors are, Overall potential (Straight up ability to play the game), and most likely to actually live-up to that potential (Players with that potential, who are closest to the Bigs) At least that is how I understand it.. :-?

I know how BA ranks their players, and potential is basically the biggest basis for their rankings. Obviously position matters to but none of what you are saying really is what I'm talking about with Drew. I'm not saying Drew is a bad prospect, he is indeed a very good one. The point that I am making is that he hasn't done much since the start of the year (or above A ball) to show he is the best prospect in the minors. If you want to try and debate that go ahead, but I know how they rank and it's defiantly not right all the time ... or probably even most of the time. Not putting BA down at any rate, but that's what happens when you rank more so by potential and prospects are fickle in nature anyways.

SO your saying, because Stephen Drew didn't put up stellar numbers in the minors this season he shouldn't be ranked as high? :-?
(Even though his skills are without question)

In your opinion, minor league stats are the #1 way to establish the overall best prospects in the minors? :-?

Anyone can look at Minor League stats, and rank based on that, but a true minor league guru predicts what others can't see.. ALA John Sickles.. ;-D (And I know Sickles wouldn't have Drew #1 overall, but he could understand the logic...because it all depends on your opinion)

I just happen to agree with John Manuel, and BA on this subject... Like I said before, I know I'm bias, but not like I'm reaching for the stars agreeing with a respected source like Baseball America about Stephen Drew being the best prospect in the minors..(Not that it matters anymore since he isn't in the minors now...haha)

ok, ok...I'm a "HOMER" haha...

With players like,Connor Jackson, Stephen Drew, Justin Upton, Carlos Quentin, Chris Young, Carlos Gonzalez, and last but not least MONTERO ;-)

I'm happy to be a "HOMER" .....DOH :-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:18 am

Purple Haze wrote:SO your saying, because Stephen Drew didn't put up stellar numbers in the minors this season he shouldn't be ranked as high? :-?
(Even though his skills are without question)

In your opinion, minor league stats are the #1 way to establish the overall best prospects in the minors? :-?

Anyone can look at Minor League stats, and rank based on that, but a true minor league guru predicts what others can't see.. ALA John Sickles.. ;-D (And I know Sickles wouldn't have Drew #1 overall, but he could understand the logic...because it all depends on your opinion)

I'm saying everyone knows he has very good tools, but a prospect is more then that. There comes a point where if your going to be considered the best prospect in all of baseball, you need numbers to back it up. I've never said I judge prospect solely on numbers, I rate them on production, make up, and tools. If we were just rating based on tools it would be Delmon Young and Justin Upton, hands down at the top.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball