Steven Drew is Baseball America's #1 Prospect! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Steven Drew is Baseball America's #1 Prospect!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steven Drew is Baseball America's #1 Prospect!

Postby Bosy Billups » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:58 pm

Delmon Young moves to #2.

I just see Kendrick being more of a monster compared to him. I guess it's the scarcity of the SS Position.
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:03 pm

Yeah, I'm one of many that disagree with the rankings. But oh well, it's something to talk about ... though I honestly expected better numbers out of Drew in the PCL.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby sLim » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:26 pm

hybrid wrote:Yeah, I'm one of many that disagree with the rankings. But oh well, it's something to talk about ... though I honestly expected better numbers out of Drew in the PCL.

especially in a hitter friendly park...hopefully hes up for good regardless...cuz counsell is garbage...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Galt » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:51 pm

Kendrick is 9th? Are they insane? I am so sick of how these sites consistently rank players with no proven track record in professional baseball ahead of guys who have already excelled at more competitive levels.

How on earth is Kendrick ranked after Troy Tulowitzki after doing nothing but destroying minor league pitching for three years, and is just about an iron lock to be the starting 2B for the Angels next year?

Tulo is a guy who has been pretty good (but not great) so far in the minors, has exactly 1 year of professional baseball experience, and wasn't even that stellar in college?

Tulo's numbers compared to Kendrick at the same age at the same level are outright pedestrian. He's on pace for less than 20 homers and a sube .850 OPS. When Kendrick was his age, at the same level, he hit .350 with a 1.000 OPS, 19 homers, and 25 steals, and then followed it up with a year where he's absolutely mashed AAA pitching. So how can you talk about "tools" and "upside" when Kendrick was better at the same age and the same level, and then actually IMPROVED in his next stop. It makes no sense.

And guys like Maybin and Tabata who are all promise and decent numbers with zero track record are continuously pimped ahead of guys in AA and AAA who are now putting up the numbers that people expect Maybin and Tabata could be putting up in 2-3 years? it makes no sense. Shouldn't those who have been there, and are now also excelling at a higher level be ranked a higher prospect? Does BA and all the other people who rank prospects not factor in any chance of a prospect in A ball not improving as they move up the system?
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:03 pm

I'm right with you on the Kendrick rankings, especially Tulo in front of him. I don't see many if one good reason to have Tulo ranked ahead of Kendrick. In regards to the younger prospects, BA has always been one to rank prospects with great potential very high so it doesn't come as much of a surprise to me. Just look at Guzman the last year or so (#5 in 2005, #26 in 2006, to not even in the Top 25 @ mid-season or listed as close), he was ranked very very highly, but as he continues not to progress as hoped ... he falls down in the rankings every year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:19 pm

at least they got Elbert right.....
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Galt » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:08 pm

yes, I love my prospects to walk 5 batters a game. Huzzah to Elbert! Certainly one of the top 15 players in the minors.

Oh wait, I forgot. He throws hard, he's young, and he's a lefty. That obviously means that he's a top prospect. Who cares if he's got Daniel Caberraish control of the strike zone.
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby houstonoilers » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:33 pm

doesnt Young have a higher batting average than Drew :-?
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:04 pm

houstonoilers wrote:doesnt Young have a higher batting average than Drew :-?

Delmon is hitting .330 and Drew was hitting .284. Drew is more polished of a hitter, but still his stats should be much better.
Last edited by hybrid on Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:04 pm

Scott Elbert belongs in the 40s, not 15th. Absolute joke.

And I'm also curious as to Andy LaRoche. The one knock scouts had one his game was his contact rate/plate discipline. He's clearly improved that this season, was at 19 before the season, yet doesn't crack the top 25 (and Braun does)? What is up with that?
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball