THOUGHTS ON FIGGINS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

THOUGHTS ON FIGGINS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:14 pm

bleach168 wrote:As long as he still qualifies at 2nd base, I'll happily take him in the 3rd round next year just like I happily took him in the 3rd round this year.

And as I remember the rule (although there has been some disagreement in this thread) he only need 5 games played and he has 6 already, making him 2B eligible next year.

Correct?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hayseed » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:20 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
bleach168 wrote:As long as he still qualifies at 2nd base, I'll happily take him in the 3rd round next year just like I happily took him in the 3rd round this year.

And as I remember the rule (although there has been some disagreement in this thread) he only need 5 games played and he has 6 already, making him 2B eligible next year.

Correct?

5 games started.
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby fun » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:13 am

i respect someone's right to make bad decisions...but letting figgins drop to the 7-8th round is idiotic, period.

would you let a guy who saves 60 games drop that far? 60 hrs? why the heck would you let a 60sb guy drop that far especially when he's not killing you in most other categories like pods? he still will hit a few dingers and get 50+ rbis at 2b, 3b or of.
fun
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guzman24 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:48 am

Thanks everyone for the informative opinions.

I posted this after I picked him up last night after trading away kent and Arroyo.

I may have overpaid a bit but Kent had been on my bench all year with various injuries and has now hit the DL today. Good timing!

Arroyo had been a good waiver pickup for me this year but I can't see his second half matching his first. No one in my pool was buying into him either as I'd been trying to sell high on him for weeks now.

I think the rest of my staff can handle his loss. Liriano, Pedro, Webb,Haren....... Colon, Reyes who've been on my bench all year.

Reyes and Figgins should win me steals every week and hopefully I have another keeper in Figgy.

Thanks again for the input ;-D
Guzman24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kurtangletn » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:00 am

Agreed, he is a definate 3rd rounder.

Especially at a 2B position where besides a couple of players there is no real impact players.
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:01 am

Kurtangletn wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
red_foot wrote:Okay I think we've established that chadlincoln just doesn't like him. The numbers speak for themselves. Plus Figgins struggled in the first half and has come out of it. He's hitting the ball well, getting on base, and the offense behind him is driving him in. Expect good things this year and next and expect people like chadlincoln to continue to be unimpressed for no reason.
When did this thread become all about getting me to like him? For no reason? Have you seen his stats so far? Where did he go this year? 3rd round? He's a great SB guy and gets runs, but so far this year his average hurts. He is playing better now, but I'm still staying away.
There are plenty of higher picks with lower averages, your not for the average with figgins, you want runs and sbs. Anything near 275 is great for average with him.

Actually, not true. .275 is low and it should be .280-.290 by the end of the season. Just give him some time. ;-D
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:21 am

I don't think it is so crazy to hold off on pure SB guys. This year, I refused to take pierre or pods until 8th round or later. Their problem isn't that they can get 60 SB. The problem is that small injuries can kill their value. I have the same worry about Crawford and Reyes, although both have shown flashes of power. IF they geta minor, nagging injury to their lower half, their value falls precipitously. THe same cannot be said of power hitters, who can usually still put up some decent numbers. Look at Pierre, while he's in a slump, he's not getting on base, so he can't steal. He has very little value beyond the steals.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby quitesanemax » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:36 pm

ukrneal wrote:I don't think it is so crazy to hold off on pure SB guys. This year, I refused to take pierre or pods until 8th round or later. Their problem isn't that they can get 60 SB. The problem is that small injuries can kill their value. I have the same worry about Crawford and Reyes, although both have shown flashes of power. IF they geta minor, nagging injury to their lower half, their value falls precipitously. THe same cannot be said of power hitters, who can usually still put up some decent numbers. Look at Pierre, while he's in a slump, he's not getting on base, so he can't steal. He has very little value beyond the steals.

When a power hitter isn't hitting, he isn't getting HRs.... Power hitters get injured too: for example, Derek Lee. Or they can go in slumps, for example, Teix.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:02 pm

quitesanemax wrote:
ukrneal wrote:I don't think it is so crazy to hold off on pure SB guys. This year, I refused to take pierre or pods until 8th round or later. Their problem isn't that they can get 60 SB. The problem is that small injuries can kill their value. I have the same worry about Crawford and Reyes, although both have shown flashes of power. IF they geta minor, nagging injury to their lower half, their value falls precipitously. THe same cannot be said of power hitters, who can usually still put up some decent numbers. Look at Pierre, while he's in a slump, he's not getting on base, so he can't steal. He has very little value beyond the steals.

When a power hitter isn't hitting, he isn't getting HRs.... Power hitters get injured too: for example, Derek Lee. Or they can go in slumps, for example, Teix.

But power hitters will usually not go from 50 Hr to 5, while that is more likely for a speedster. Also, a speedster not getting on base (not stealing) won't get runs either, while a power hitter will probably be hitting more doubles giving him no loss in Runs or RBI. He can still get the hits. Since speedsters ae usually 2 or 3 category, losing the one has a bigger effect than a reduction in one (or half) for a power hitter. He goes from 4 to 3 or 3.5.

I'm not really discussing a big injury like Lee or Matsui, but rather those that players tend to play through. A wrist injury to either will hurt the hitting pretty equally, which is why I focused on lower body injuries.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pibb55 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:58 pm

ukrneal wrote:
quitesanemax wrote:

But power hitters will usually not go from 50 Hr to 5, while that is more likely for a speedster. Also, a speedster not getting on base (not stealing) won't get runs either, while a power hitter will probably be hitting more doubles giving him no loss in Runs or RBI. He can still get the hits. Since speedsters ae usually 2 or 3 category, losing the one has a bigger effect than a reduction in one (or half) for a power hitter. He goes from 4 to 3 or 3.5.

I'm not really discussing a big injury like Lee or Matsui, but rather those that players tend to play through. A wrist injury to either will hurt the hitting pretty equally, which is why I focused on lower body injuries.

What players go from 50 SB to 5 the next year? What your saying is also true for pitchers, little injuries can easily throw off there whole delivery or mechanics and make them ineffective, so in that respect Johan or Oswalt shouldnt be drafted til the 8th round.
pibb55
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers