Daisuke Matsuzaka, SP - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daisuke Matsuzaka, SP

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:26 am

Dice-K is on the cover of USA Today this morning.

On the front of the Sports section, there's a picture of a group of japanese ballplayers bowing to a coach- Seiichiro Ogura (the Japanese Don Zimmer it says). Apparently Ogura used to hit balls to Dice-K at close range with a fungo bat for hours at a time to hone his quickness and agility.

I like how the Japanese players bow to their coach. That's classy.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 5 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:36 am

LukeW9027 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Schilling, who does not like to face AL East opponents during spring training due to the possibility of overexposing his pitches to teams that each play the Sox 18 or 19 times during the regular season, said he suspected that wouldn’t be a concern for Matsuzaka.
“With the stuff I see him throwing and the games I’ve watched him pitch, it’s going to take a whole lot more than two or three times to get used to him,” Schilling said. “He’s got such an incredible mix of pitches and he has such good command.
“That’s why he’s an ace-in-the-making, because he’s going to be able to win some games when he’s not locating his fastball or doesn’t have his curveball,” he continued. “He’s like Pedro (Martinez) that he has multiple strikeout pitches. Those are the type of guys who can go out and not feel good and still dominate a game.”

Schilling is a no BS, straight up guy. Those words carry a little weight with me. :-?

Schilling loves to run his mouth about every matter in the world, I wouldnt take this into affect too much.

True.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:38 pm

Would you draft Daiuske as your ace in a keeper league? Why? Why not?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 pm

Yoda wrote:Would you draft Daiuske as your ace in a keeper league? Why? Why not?

Yes. Here are the SP ioff the top of my head:

Tier 1: Santana
Tier 2: Carpenter, Webb, Oswalt
Tier 3: C. Zamabrano, Halladay, Peavy Smoltz, Sheets
Tier 4: Lackey, Sabathia, Schilling, Harang,
Tier 5: Bonderman, Young, Schmidt, Myers, Haren

I think he'll fit in Tier 4 or 5 no problem with the upisde of being Tier 2.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby glcmustliveon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:35 pm

Wow, huge thread, most of which i havent read. However, I would take everything Schilling says with a grain of salt, he talks way too much.

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Old_Style » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:37 pm

glcmustliveon wrote:Wow, huge thread, most of which i havent read. However, I would take everything Schilling says with a grain of salt, he talks way too much.

You should take the time to read every last page.

Well worth it.... ;-7
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Philliebuster » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:16 pm

Interesting article on DiceK's mechanics...

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... matsuzaka/

Sorry if posted already...

So what do we make of all this?

Let's try to answer the questions that I posted above?

1) How efficient is he with his mechanics?
VERY efficient and aggressive, especially with his lower body. Yes, the lead arm issue bothers me.

2) Will he keep his velocity/stuff throughout his career?
I can't only look at his mechanics to answer this one. We know how many innings he has logged in his professional career. However, if he keeps his aggressiveness and tempo, there is a good chance that he'll keep his stuff well into his career. Yes, the lead arm issue bothers me—I'll get back to this one.

3) What about potential injury risks?
All I see is potential shoulder issues. Yeah, I know, MOST (if not all) pitchers have shoulder issues at some point. I'm talking about shoulder issues that greatly contribute to decline (think Pedro Martinez).

My guess: Matsuzaka remains durable and at his A+ stuff over the next three years or so. Sometime after year three, after adding a few pounds and after the natural effects of aging, he starts slowing his body down just a tad and his velocity starts dipping. Fast forward a year or two: he has an average year while adjusting to not being able to hit 95+ mph as consistently as he used to. He starts seeing some DL time, but pitches enough innings to justify his contract. However, at the end of his contract, we will probably wonder if he will end up having the same recurring issues as Pedro. Will someone give him another four- or five-year contract after that? Probably. Will that be too many? Yup, just like Pedro.

Good luck Daisuke...
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby thedude » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:12 am

Dice-K debut:

25 pitches, 19 for strikes
2 IP
1 hit (line-drive double on his first pitch)
3 k's
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 6)

Postby zevon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:45 am

He looked good, very nice control on his curve aqnd a fastball up and out at 92 or so that had batters frozen.
Of course , it's against a college team but it was apparent DiceK has some serious stuff.
I hope not to rehash a bunch of stuff that's already been posted in the previous 90 something pages, but I heard a couple things on NESN I hadn't heard before.
His history is of a workhorse , he once threw 350 pitches in a bullpen session. He believes that more work builds strength and fierceness.
Also, his last 28 wins in Japan were complete games, albeit on an every 6 day pitching schedule.
I'm hoping he's the real deal, I saw nothing in his two innings today to indicate that he's not.
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mercer Boy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:05 am

I wanted to see the Dice-K mania tonight, so I fired up the MLB.tv of the game...only got to see the 2nd inning though. :-[

Dang good curve ball...the ump gave him high (and outside) strike 3 calls twice. I don't think he'll get those in a regular season game. Didn't get to see the split or slider, but oh well. Obviously he's pretty good.

Only thing I noticed - and it seems to be the case with every pitcher from Japan - is that he's got some weird hitch in his delivery. First off, he tends to bob a little bit with his legs in the set position...if the umps wanted to, they could call a balk on that because he's not perfectly still. Secondly, when he goes into the full wind he snaps his leg in a sort of funny way...someone I work with said he almost acts like he's doing a pickoff throw to home but somehow makes it into a full wind. I basically said the same thing...almost like a stretch look at the very first moment and then slows it down for a normal motion. I think this could make the batter believe he's going to fire the ball out faster but then slows down, relaxes the batter, and then brings the heat. :-°

I liked the interview they did after he was done too...seems like a cool guy! ;-D
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers