Wakfield leaves game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Wakfield leaves game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wakfield leaves game

Postby The Big Train » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:25 pm

BOSTON (AP) -Red Sox starter Tim Wakefield left Monday night's game against Kansas City after four innings with a strained upper back.

He was listed as day to day and was to undergo tests.

Wakefield originally was scheduled to start on Sunday but was given an extra day to rest his back. He retired the Royals in order in the first inning Monday then allowed three runs and two hits in the second when he walked two batters and hit another
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bwagner112 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:56 pm

Further reports show Wakefield has been confirmed to have inconsistency and mediocrity...this condition will likely continue throughout his boring and non-descript career.
bwagner112
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby teamtitan512 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:14 pm

Losing Wakefield would be a major blow to the Sox, considering Beckett's ERA is over 5, Lester may be the next great walk machine, Clement is still on the DL (and terrible when he wasn't), and the last guy they called up for a spot start did nothing against the A's, a pretty rotten offense.
teamtitan512
College Coach
College Coach

Postby flowbee » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:26 pm

Guess the Sox will be looking heavily for some pitching help before the trading deadline. That would be cool if Papelbon could go up to the rotation (since I dont own him as a closer), but all reports I've heard say that wont happen
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sportsguy138 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:26 am

flowbee wrote:Guess the Sox will be looking heavily for some pitching help before the trading deadline. That would be cool if Papelbon could go up to the rotation (since I dont own him as a closer), but all reports I've heard say that wont happen

no way papelbon will start (this year).. if anything it will be at the beginning of the 07 season..

let us know the update on this guy.. but this would certainly help the jays for the race of that AL east division
sportsguy138
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:31 am

bwagner112 wrote:Further reports show Wakefield has been confirmed to have inconsistency and mediocrity...this condition will likely continue throughout his boring and non-descript career.

Gotta say, there were lots of Yankees fans claiming that some Red sox fans were classless for saying bad things about Matsui after his injury. I read some of the posts, and am not in complete disagreement with them. I just want to say that I find this post just as disrespectful as some of them posts were. As Yankees fans were saying back then, if you have nothing nice to say, maybe you just shouldn't say anything.

Having gotten that out of the way, the fact that Wakefield throws a knuckleball is going to make him a hit or miss sort of pitcher. But as far as knuckleballers goes, he is one of the best there is out there. He has also been doing very good this year in particular, although the record doesn't show it. He didn't get much run support at the beginning of the year. He is also a rock. It was clear in the 2nd inning last night, when he gave up three runs, that his back was killing him, and he went two more innings... and he would have kept going if Francona had let him! As far as consistency goes, he consistently gives the Red Sox 6 to 9 innings in a game... until this recent injury of course. Big loss for the Red Sox, if he goes to the DL. Big loss... It will hurt the bullpen as much as it will hurt the starting rotation.
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:55 pm

teamtitan512 wrote:Losing Wakefield would be a major blow to the Sox, considering Beckett's ERA is over 5, Lester may be the next great walk machine, Clement is still on the DL (and terrible when he wasn't), and the last guy they called up for a spot start did nothing against the A's, a pretty rotten offense.

Yes, it would hurt the pitching staff. Still Beckett is Beckett and he's just been hit really bad in his last couple outings. Don't forget about Wells, I sense he's going to retire after this year (actually he better retire).

sportsguy138 wrote:
flowbee wrote:Guess the Sox will be looking heavily for some pitching help before the trading deadline. That would be cool if Papelbon could go up to the rotation (since I dont own him as a closer), but all reports I've heard say that wont happen

no way papelbon will start (this year).. if anything it will be at the beginning of the 07 season..

let us know the update on this guy.. but this would certainly help the jays for the race of that AL east division

He won't start this year. Most likely the Red Sox will call up a pitcher from AA or AAA (or acquire/trade for someone before the deadline). Hansen might possibly start but I doubt it.

quitesanemax wrote:
bwagner112 wrote:Further reports show Wakefield has been confirmed to have inconsistency and mediocrity...this condition will likely continue throughout his boring and non-descript career.

Gotta say, there were lots of Yankees fans claiming that some Red sox fans were classless for saying bad things about Matsui after his injury. I read some of the posts, and am not in complete disagreement with them. I just want to say that I find this post just as disrespectful as some of them posts were. As Yankees fans were saying back then, if you have nothing nice to say, maybe you just shouldn't say anything.

Having gotten that out of the way, the fact that Wakefield throws a knuckleball is going to make him a hit or miss sort of pitcher. But as far as knuckleballers goes, he is one of the best there is out there. He has also been doing very good this year in particular, although the record doesn't show it. He didn't get much run support at the beginning of the year. He is also a rock. It was clear in the 2nd inning last night, when he gave up three runs, that his back was killing him, and he went two more innings... and he would have kept going if Francona had let him! As far as consistency goes, he consistently gives the Red Sox 6 to 9 innings in a game... until this recent injury of course. Big loss for the Red Sox, if he goes to the DL. Big loss... It will hurt the bullpen as much as it will hurt the starting rotation.

I agree with what quitesanemax said. He is a great knuckleball pitcher. Knuckleball pitchers either do really well or really bad. There's rarely an inbetween in a game.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates