Jorge Sosa, still closing?-WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jorge Sosa, still closing?-WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teamtitan512 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:11 pm

Considering the Braves seem to be on a tear and that no one is out of it in the NL, they may very well be buyers before the trade deadline and try to bring someone in to close.

Ray may be put back in place soon enough, but I'm thinking they have to call up Joey Devine and give him another shot. They've got to find someone to end games for them to have a chance at the Wild Card.

I remember on ESPN hearing a rumor of Smoltz to Detroit for Joel Zumaya, but I doubt that will happen. Linebrink or Francisco Cordero may be decent enough options that could be on the market.
teamtitan512
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d18Mike » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:06 am

Apparently some of the senior Braves players have expressed "quiet but serious concern" to Braves management about the bullpen. Too many hard-won leads have been blown. I really think they need to look outside the organization for help -- Linebrink, Cordero are certainly viable options.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:06 pm

Love the WHIR ;-7
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby mikhayl » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:07 pm

d18Mike wrote:Apparently some of the senior Braves players have expressed "quiet but serious concern" to Braves management about the bullpen. Too many hard-won leads have been blown. I really think they need to look outside the organization for help -- Linebrink, Cordero are certainly viable options.

In last night's ESPN broadcast of the Cards Braves, the announcers mentioned that Smoltz had spoken with mgmt about bringing in some needed help.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JoeyTTU01 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:42 pm

Another option for the Braves might be former closer Scott Williamson, currently a Cubs reliever. He is a pending FA after this year but has a successful closers past and seems to be recovered from the injuries. I dont see the Rangers let go of Coco Cordero, for anything short of Chuch James, Joey Devine, Kyle Davies types.

Anyone find it a little funny that Smoltz is talking about relief help when he refused to go back to the closers role?
My Team: HELP PLEASE
None Currently.

JoeyTTU01
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mikhayl » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:17 pm

JoeyTTU01 wrote:Anyone find it a little funny that Smoltz is talking about relief help when he refused to go back to the closers role?

Smoltz has taken a L or a ND in 8 games where he's given up 3 runs or fewer and pitched 6.0 innings or more. He's got another ND in a game where he went 5.0 and gave up 3. Along with his 7 wins, that's 16 games where Smoltz has put the Braves in an easy win situation.

I don't know who could replace him in the rotation, but he's extremely valuable as a starter. I'd wager he's more valuable starting than closing.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates