Your thoughts on the big series - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Your thoughts on the big series

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Your thoughts on the big series

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:18 pm

Time to batten down the hatches lads, the stinking White Sox are coming to town.

As this series nears, I find myself doubting. I must say that I have seldom seen a team win 3 of 4 and look more shakey doing it. Save Verlander's excellant adventure the Tigers starter were awful. And I think two of the offenders will pitch against the Sox, Bonderman and Rogers. Rogers who BTW has tossed 4 poor games in a row.

Oh, and what has happened to our D? Inge lucked out and didn't get tagged for an error that led to three runs in the third yesterday, but there were still enough poor fielding plays that indicate reverting to old habits. Is this team starting to show signs of swooning? Add the history of not performing well under pressure and our Tiges could have a tough go in this series.

On the bright side the Sox pitching has been poor of late as well. But they are a better hitting club, and a much better fielding club. And they are winners.

I am hoping that we can hold our own and win at least one of these games.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:28 am

Inge lucked out and didn't get tagged for an error that led to three runs in the third yesterday

Inge really lucked out on that play. I'm beginning to think he has something on the score keeper at the CoPa because that's about the 5th time this season he should have been credited with an error but wasn't.

As far as this series goes the Tigers NEED to win atleast 2 out of 3 imo. The Tigers have proven they can beat who they are supposed to but now it's time to prove to everyone and themselves that they can beat the big boys.

Game 1 John Garland vs. Nate Robertson

The Tigers have pounded Garland so far this season and Robertson has looked good against the Sox in 2 starts. Time for the offense to step up and score some runs for Nate.

Game 2 Javier Vazquez vs. Jeremy Bonderman

The Tigers haven't faced Vazquez yet this season but they have hit him hard in the past and he's been getting shelled recently. Other than Bondo's last start agains the Royals he has been almost unhittable. I fully expect Bondo to rebound nicely for this game but like Robertson he needs the Tigers bats to give him some run support for a change.

Game 3 Jose Contreras vs Kenny Rogers

This game scares me the most. Contreras has the Tigers # so far this season and Kenny Rogers has been very average his last 4 starts. This game has disaster written all over it. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Anything less than 2 wins for the Tigs will have everyone, including Tigers players questioning whether or not they can hang with the big boys. If the Tigers somehow get swept I think you see DD overpay for one of the big names out there on the trade market this weekend.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:41 am

I couldn't watch the first game, but it looks like the offense just couldn't get anything going against all-world superstud Cy Young lock Jon Garland (yeah, I'm kidding). With even a sweep the Tigers are still in first place, but obviously we don't want that to happen. Maybe the results of this series will determine how hard the team pursues external help via a trade? It looks like the offense needs a boost...
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:43 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:I couldn't watch the first game, but it looks like the offense just couldn't get anything going against all-world superstud Cy Young lock Jon Garland (yeah, I'm kidding). With even a sweep the Tigers are still in first place, but obviously we don't want that to happen. Maybe the results of this series will determine how hard the team pursues external help via a trade? It looks like the offense needs a boost...

Remember last season? I think they played Oakland and stunk up the joint when they had a chance to make something of thier season. Bam, they get home and Farnsworth is gone. I hope that Monroe and Thames aren't too comfy with thier loopy swings and sucky D.

The Tigers looked just like the Tiges of old. Nobody stepped up. One poor AB after another. They didn't give Garland a chance to suck. Granderson has lost his stroke, Pudge too impatient, Thames looks like he'll never hit again as long as pitchers remember not to throw inside. Maggs looks injured at the plate. No power and way too many first pitch limp grounders. Inge showing that he may already be losing his power to go along with that wonderful .225 AVE. Did I miss anyone? No, I'm not pissed at the pathetic play last night. Not at all.

My big concern now is we have to rely on Bonderman to pitch well when historically he blows in pressure games. And the White Sux line up is loaded. I don't know that I can recall a team ever having so many players having career years. Tadahito, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierpissyfaceski, the 3rd base dude. All having thier best seasons!!! If thier pitching rounds into shape they will be unbeatable.....which is unbearable.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:45 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:I couldn't watch the first game, but it looks like the offense just couldn't get anything going against all-world superstud Cy Young lock Jon Garland (yeah, I'm kidding). With even a sweep the Tigers are still in first place, but obviously we don't want that to happen. Maybe the results of this series will determine how hard the team pursues external help via a trade? It looks like the offense needs a boost...

Remember last season? I think they played Oakland and stunk up the joint when they had a chance to make something of thier season. Bam, they get home and Farnsworth is gone. I hope that Monroe and Thames aren't too comfy with thier loopy swings and sucky D.

The Tigers looked just like the Tiges of old. Nobody stepped up. One poor AB after another. They didn't give Garland a chance to suck. Granderson has lost his stroke, Pudge too impatient, Thames looks like he'll never hit again as long as pitchers remember not to throw inside. Maggs looks injured at the plate. No power and way too many first pitch limp grounders. Inge showing that he may already be losing his power to go along with that wonderful .225 AVE. Did I miss anyone? No, I'm not pissed at the pathetic play last night. Not at all.

My big concern now is we have to rely on Bonderman to pitch well when historically he blows in pressure games. And the White Sux line up is loaded. I don't know that I can recall a team ever having so many players having career years. Tadahito, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierpissyfaceski, the 3rd base dude. All having thier best seasons!!! If thier pitching rounds into shape they will be unbeatable.....which is unbearable.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:07 pm

well, my initial thought was the Tigers would take 2/3, so i'm still sticking with that, even with the loss yesterday (which i got to see in person :-t )
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby statsman88 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:03 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:well, my initial thought was the Tigers would take 2/3, so i'm still sticking with that, even with the loss yesterday (which i got to see in person :-t )

where were you sitting, I was there too. I got Verlander autograph before the game too ;-D
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:24 pm

statsman88 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:well, my initial thought was the Tigers would take 2/3, so i'm still sticking with that, even with the loss yesterday (which i got to see in person :-t )

where were you sitting, I was there too. I got Verlander autograph before the game too ;-D

I was at the game yesterday as well and just got home from tonights game. Had SRO tickets for both games so I stood along the 1st base side just above the handicap ramps. Heading to Fridays and Sundays games this week also.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby statsman88 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:43 pm

I just went to last nights, wish it was tonight's instead, oh well........

Go Tigs ;-D
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:33 am

moochman wrote:

I guess it's safe to say somebody came up big yesterday. Bonderman with a nice game and Monroe with a big grand slam! But still, I don't think it can be any more obvious that this team needs another bat in the lineup if they are looking to make the playoffs and possibly beyond as last night on the offensive side was more of a result of Vazquez's mistakes than great at bats by the Tigers.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Detroit Tigers