Punted Saves, finally overtook 1st. My team good enough? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Punted Saves, finally overtook 1st. My team good enough?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Punted Saves, finally overtook 1st. My team good enough?

Postby ragged25 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:13 pm

I'm in a small pool with 5 teams, standard yahoo 5x5 with 10 FA pickup per season. After missing draft night and given an auto draft, I had to make a lot of adjustments to my team and have currently used 9 of 10 moves. Here's my roster:

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/211862/5

C - Mauer
1B - Pujols
2B - Soriano
3B - Wright
SS - Reyes
OF - Bay, Manny, Sizemore
Util - Hafner
BN - Burrell, Giambi, Ensberg

SP - Carpenter, Lackey, Kazmir, Randy, King Felix, Willis. (I currently have Buerhle and Sheets, but in the process of getting Oswalt for them)
RP - C. Cordero (WSH), C. Ray (BAL)

Some of the moves I made were to get Soriano and Bay for Carlos Lee and Kent, traded Lariano and Jenks for Hafner and Burrell and my lastest of Buerhle and Sheets for Oswalt.

I have a 23 of a possible 25 points in hitting, second in RBI and Steals, and first in wins and K's but about 90IP above where I should be. Is my team good enough to survive the rest of the season. My reason to get Hafner is for his AVG and I condensed my pitching staff by doing a two for 1 for Oswalt. I project taking 24 of 25 in hitting and stay middle of the pack in pitching with my solid staff.

So here's my question, should I still hold onto my closers seeing how i've punted saves, if so what should i get back? Do I need another arm or a BN hitter in case of injuries because I only have one move left for the rest of the way.

Thanks in advance for your help, I really appreciate it.
ragged25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Subversive » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:45 pm

Are you dead last in Saves? How far behind 2nd last are you? You have such a stacked lineup of starting pitching, you could trade 1 or 2 of them, and get right back into the Saves race without giving up your lead in all the other pitching categories. Punting is such a risky strategy, if anything goes wrong in any of your other categories, you are screwed. I don't think there is much point in trading those two closers, unless you can get a player who will instantly improve you in a category where easy gains are possible.

Please reply to mine, thanks.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=227707
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ragged25 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:50 pm

There's no point trying to catch up due to mishaps such as Reitsma, Gagne and Valverde. All the rest of the league have at least 3 quality closers and I am 7 saves back from 4th place team that's got 5 closers. I am thinking of keeping the two to help out my ERA, WHIP and K's, Cordero gets me the occasional wins as well, which is nice. the categories I can catchup are ERA and WHIP which I currently have 3 and 2 points. I have 39 of the possible 50 points and leading by 3.5 points.

Moreover, I am thinking of moving Randy, what can I get for him? I offered Randy for Peavy after his bad start last night and the other owner wasn't biting, what will it take to get Peavy?
ragged25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Frappy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:34 pm

Im not a fan of punting category's at all. I would try to deal for another closer using someone with big value like Giambi. Look for someone with a glut of closers and talk it out. There are 30 closers out there man, Im sure you can get something done. Dont forget to watch the WW for closers (Possibles like E Jacksion, Seth Mcclung, Shawn Camp)
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby waltb87 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:31 pm

yeah i would agree, i would look into trading one of your big names maybe giambi or ensberg for a good closer, you could get a good closer for either one of them.
waltb87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team