Barry Bonds - you better read this before you post about him - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds - you better read this before you post about him

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:15 am

wrveres wrote:Now if you are done reading .. You will see that it is pretty damn long.
And you know what? You wan't to know the best part? You can't take it away. You can't Minimize it, You can only knock it. Why? Well because he is not the person YOU want him to be ....


Why are you making this personal? All of those "you's". I never said that I wanted to take it away, minimize it, or knock it. Nor did I ever mention about him being or not being the person that I want him to be. WTF is that and where did you get that from?

wrveres wrote:Run this one for me ... Since Ruth has less 2B ... How many of Ruth's homeruns were actually Ground Rule Doubles?
I figure that that short porch should be kinda nice for a left handed batter. Oh and look at how high that fence is out there. Yeah let me know what you find on that ......


While I'll admit that Yankee stadium isn't exact Dodger Stadium, are you really going to back your argument up when the guys these days are hitting golf balls in little league stadiums?

wrveres wrote:So would it fair to say .. "Barry is not the person you wan't him to be?"


Again, WTF is that? You are putting words in my mouth. I would ask that you read my previous posts on this matter. The ONLY thing that I have said is that he says stupid things. If from that you get that he is not the person that I want him to be, then so be it. I have no idea where you got that from.

I have stated that I enjoyed this thread and that I learned a thing or 2. Can you say the same?
Lofunzo
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 23698
(Past Year: 11)
Joined: 9 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Central Jersey

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:22 am

This has been a very informative thread...lets not make it personal guys.... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 13084
Joined: 13 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: floating around on the 3rd rock

Postby wrveres » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:28 am

[quote="kentx12] Hell watch out for Pierre, he could be the next to get on the juice and bulk up and do 500/500. Bonds is a disgrace. :-t[/quote]

Apoligies to any offended ..

this I'll informed statement is the one that set me off ....

Kentx12 .... It would be greatly appreciated, that the next time you accuse, you back it with a little fact. And if you would be so kind as to share with us you're extensive background in weight training, You seem to be so very knowledgeable. I am guessing a doctorate at least right? You must have something posted on the net I could read? for me it would add a little credability to the venom that skews from your keyboard.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 757)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:35 am

Lofunzo wrote: Putting him close to or over Ruth is doing the Babe a disservice.


and then ther was this one .. but apoligies Lofunzo, never ment to get "Personal" talking about somebodies "Personality" :-) ..
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31781
(Past Year: 757)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JRRNeiklot » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:58 am

LCBOY wrote:
DK wrote:fifth of all, ruth hit a ball an estimated 625 feet. id like to see bonds do that.


Another urban legend. There is no evidence that Ruth did this other than stories.



Hmmm. Bonds hit 73 in one season. How do I know this? I read it in a ....story.
JRRNeiklot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 503
(Past Year: 23)
Joined: 15 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:36 pm

JRRNeiklot wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
DK wrote:fifth of all, ruth hit a ball an estimated 625 feet. id like to see bonds do that.


Another urban legend. There is no evidence that Ruth did this other than stories.



Hmmm. Bonds hit 73 in one season. How do I know this? I read it in a ....story.


No. There is video of Bonds hitting #73. Tens of thousands of people saw it happen in PERSON. Many many reporters reported it in newspapers, ESPN, etc. When Ruth supposedly hit 625 ft what day was it? Who measured the distance? Where was it reported? Was it reported by someone who was there? Or did they just hear it from someone else? If you are going to claim Ruth hit a 625 ft HR you need to site a source or show some evidence it actually happened. We can't accept that it happened because you say it happened.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2838
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On third base trying to steal home.

Postby Sevillano » Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:37 pm

JRRNeiklot wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
DK wrote:fifth of all, ruth hit a ball an estimated 625 feet. id like to see bonds do that.


Another urban legend. There is no evidence that Ruth did this other than stories.



Hmmm. Bonds hit 73 in one season. How do I know this? I read it in a ....story.


If that story is your only reference of that event, I'd wager that you're one of very few baseball fans who did not catch the highlight of Bond's 73rd.
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 279
Joined: 1 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:37 pm

LCBOY wrote:
JRRNeiklot wrote:
LCBOY wrote:
DK wrote:fifth of all, ruth hit a ball an estimated 625 feet. id like to see bonds do that.


Another urban legend. There is no evidence that Ruth did this other than stories.



Hmmm. Bonds hit 73 in one season. How do I know this? I read it in a ....story.


No. There is video of Bonds hitting #73. Tens of thousands of people saw it happen in PERSON. Many many reporters reported it in newspapers, ESPN, etc. When Ruth supposedly hit 625 ft what day was it? Who measured the distance? Where was it reported? Was it reported by someone who was there? Or did they just hear it from someone else? If you are going to claim Ruth hit a 625 ft HR you need to site a source or show some evidence it actually happened. We can't accept that it happened because you say it happened.


Hmmm.....Carl Everett's opinion that we never landed on the moon jumped into my head while reading this thread. 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby West Coast Fan » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:27 pm

WOW What a string. I think the topic got lost here somewhere.

People complain that Bonds stands too close to the plate and that he has an advantage on wearing protective gear.
IMHO, Bonds is in the BATTERS BOX. The Box is designed to provide the limits on where a batter can stand. This Box has been the same for who knows how long. Bonds can stand anywhere he pleases, as long as he's in the box. I see enough players with their back foot outside the box and I don't see people ragging them. If Bonds was outside the Box, then complain, but right now, he's in the box.

Body armour. If the pitcher wishes to pitch inside, go for it. If he hits Barry, Barry takes first base. Like a walk. Barry isn't stopping them from pitching inside or hitting him. Sounds like whining. "He's taking away the inside part of the plate by standing so close"

Players can stand anywhere they want inside the Batters Box. Thome stands close. Lots of players stand close. Pitch inside to Barry and if you don't hit him, he'll put it in McCovey's Cove.

I saw Nolan Ryan on ESPN, and when asked about pitching to Barry, he said pitch him high and away, change speeds. Seems like a good idea. Complain that he'll take it the other way, for what, a single or double but rarely a HR. Seems like a good idea cause the inside pitch is one he loves.

Anyway, until you manage to change the rules about where a batter can stand in the batters box, get off his case about standing close to the plate. You're complaining about something that's legal.

Oh, and to Ruth's 100 career wins as pitcher, I put forth 500 stolen bases. Ruth didn't do that
West Coast Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 391
Joined: 22 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sunny California

Bonds Vs. Ruth No Comparision

Postby jayman » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:42 pm

Only Bonds and Bond Fanatics compare him to Ruth.

Bonds has less home runs with more at-bats.
Bonds has less RBI's with more at-bats.
Bonds has less runs with more at-bats.
Bonds has less hits with more at-bats.
Bonds has a BA 40 points lower than Ruth's.
Bonds has more K's in fewer at-bats.
Bonds slugging percentage is 90 points lower.
Bonds has less Triples than Ruth.

Bonds has more walks and more doubles. Whoopie.

All that and BONDS HAS ZERO 20 WIN SEASONS.

There is no comparision.
jayman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1151
Joined: 6 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: In the holosuite playing the Vulcans!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 6 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact