Barry Bonds - you better read this before you post about him - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Barry Bonds - you better read this before you post about him

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pkarr5000 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:25 pm

yeah dont push his barry bonds button ;-)
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3935
Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:27 pm

ew :-b


hey, just becuase i live in the bay area, doesn't mean...
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9790
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pkarr5000 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:30 pm

eftda wrote:ew :-b


hey, just becuase i live in the bay area, doesn't mean...



LMAO, thats the funniest thing ive read all month. :-D
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3935
Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benjapage » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:57 pm

my admiration for him is deep--he really is (or was) an all-around star.

however, in explanation of my disdain for this player, he stands so close to the plate...SO CLOSE, and he wears that newfoundland dog on his right arm, daring the pitcher to throw in on him.

stand close to the plate and get hit. that's fine. i respect that. biggio does it all the time, takes it like a man. olmeido saenz did it for the a's last year. fine. but they're not sporting the winter parka on the pitcher-side arm. it's just not fair. and the looks he gives pitchers when he's hit...i could climb through the tv and wack him with a folding chair. ok, that's over the top. but i get extremely annoyed.

this manipulation, so liberally tolerated by mlb (because the man puts butts in the seats) is what really pisses me off. if you mummified me in a thick rubber and nylon, i could take a good bean, too. that basically *gives* the batter the plate. the only strike a pitcher can throw without *hitting* him is the outside half. that sure narrows it down, doesn't it?

but i do respect his numbers, work ethic and longevity. let me dislike the bastard, and i'll let you like him.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2767
Joined: 26 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Postby kentx12 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:45 am

Anonymous wrote:The guy has almost 500 stolen bases. That isn't too "one-dimensional" too me.


Early in his carear he was a great base runner, however after he gained about 100 pounds and his hat size went from a 6 to a 9 "Just by working out and no steroids or anything" in about a year he really slowed down. He can still steal when he needs to but he hasn't been a big threat in a few years. He is a homerun hitter and can hit for avg. He is nowhere near the best at his posistion and he should not be considered with any of the best of all time. Imagine what Ruth, Aron and other power hitters of there time could have done if they had been on the juice. Hell watch out for Pierre, he could be the next to get on the juice and bulk up and do 500/500. Bonds is a disgrace. :-t
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 17435
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 8 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lost

Postby eftda » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:52 am

kentx12 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:The guy has almost 500 stolen bases. That isn't too "one-dimensional" too me.


Early in his carear he was a great base runner, however after he gained about 100 pounds and his hat size went from a 6 to a 9 "Just by working out and no steroids or anything" in about a year he really slowed down. He can still steal when he needs to but he hasn't been a big threat in a few years. He is a homerun hitter and can hit for avg. He is nowhere near the best at his posistion and he should not be considered with any of the best of all time. Imagine what Ruth, Aron and other power hitters of there time could have done if they had been on the juice. Hell watch out for Pierre, he could be the next to get on the juice and bulk up and do 500/500. Bonds is a disgrace. :-t



God, do you ever shut up, you say the same stuff in ALL your posts. like that one guy said.

"if IF and Buts were candy and nuts... we would all be happy and fat"
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9790
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bukoski77 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:06 am

Bonds is one of the best of all time. First of all he was cranking out 30 -40 HR years well be for the explosive HR era baseball is in today. Search your memory wayback, when the Pirates where contenders for a few years and Bonds was pounding out 30-40 HR .300 30+ SB 100RBI years, thats when 4-5 run games were considered somewhat high scoreing. Didnt he win an MVP or two also in that time frame?

He did take steroids later in his career. I have seen a few before and after photos of 2000 then to 2001. He put on like 35#'s of rip muscle in one off season. That is almost geneiticaly impossible without the help of roids. Then wouldnt you know it? The HR record gets broken again.

He might be a great athlete defensively but he is bye no means one of the best defensive players of all time. He probably ( I have no stat reference to support this ) leads all time defenders in allowing doubles and singles off the wall because he stood there nonchalantly watching what he thought would be a HR hit the wall. No excuse for that. On the flipside he has also shorted himself countless double because he was too busy slowly trotting and watching what he thought would be a HR for him hit the wall, shorting his double or triple into a single.

So I say all that to say this............. He is one of the most gifted and best players of all time. Personality wise he is still a jacka$$ though. No telling what those extra base hits he shorted himself could have done for his already astounding slugging percentage, which I believe is higher than Ruth's.
"Son we would like to keep you around here but were trying to win a pennant this year."
Bukoski77
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1184
Joined: 21 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: TN

Postby Brokentusks9 » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:07 am

eftda wrote:are you new to baseball, he had the highest batting avg in the NL last year, and 12 hits shy of .400. (lets say he went 0-12, well he if he went 12-12 then he would have had .400)


Are YOU new to baseball? Or just simple math??

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... atsId=3918

12-12 would put him at 161-415 which is a .388 batting average.

.388 != .400

Please refrain from sassing people when you cannot even get the facts straight yourself.
Brokentusks9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 628
Joined: 20 Nov 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Saskatoon

Postby eftda » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:09 am

hey, sorry, i didn't do the math, i just remembered what they said on baseball tonight.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9790
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:11 am

Brokentusks9 wrote:
eftda wrote:are you new to baseball, he had the highest batting avg in the NL last year, and 12 hits shy of .400. (lets say he went 0-12, well he if he went 12-12 then he would have had .400)


Are YOU new to baseball? Or just simple math??

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/s ... atsId=3918

12-12 would put him at 161-415 which is a .388 batting average.

.388 != .400

Please refrain from sassing people when you cannot even get the facts straight yourself.



hey, my point still stands, he doesn't know about baseball, Bonds led the NL in avg, just becuase i didn't do the math and just wrote down from what i heard on baseball tonight doesn't mean that I am new to baseball. I was new in 97 not 03
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9790
Joined: 11 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact