Abstinence-only education - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Abstinence-only education

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby benjapage » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:50 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I find it amusing that if the topic is sex, it should be the responsibility of the parents to teach right from wrong and responsible practices rather than the government. But when the topic is drugs it's up to the government. We need laws, we need DARE programs, we can't leave it up to parents. I would wager that more lives have been adversly affected by sex than by drugs.

Anyway, to try to stay on topic, abstinence-only education has been a colossal failure. If someone really wants their children to learn abstinence only they should take them out of school during sex ed. The rest of the kids should get a true education.

right on.

schools should be encouraged to teach a broad spectrum. why eliminate discussions on sex, while nutrition, biology, and psychology are all tres bien?

the lazy parents are the ones who are too complacent to learn what their children are learning. if parents want to impose some structure to sex that encourages more or less of it, do that at home. a school's responsibility includes teaching basic elements of health. sex is part of that.

the reason the government needs to intervene dramatically is because the american parent has already failed miserably.

edit: chad & omaha, i want to address what apparently has felt to you and some others (not just in this thread, but in at least several others of its ilk) like a religious bombardment: while it is true that some feel that judeo-christianity is complete fabrication, it is just as true that any belief system is just as fabricated. belief (and faith) are what we humans do to conceptualize a world that cannot be conceptualized.

no one (on this board or anywhere else) should feel the need to attack or defend a belief in a higher power, unless the belief is unmistakeably contingent upon the suffering of fellow humans. in that case, you know, have at it. that's what i say, anyway.

b
Last edited by benjapage on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 5 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:11 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
5 wrote:Of course religion has to enter this discussion. How do you think this program started...pressure from the 700 Club fans & company.
:-? Where did that come from? Link?

I wasn't being serious. It was more a commentary on how this administration panders to the religious right. That's how W achieved some early success (assisting with his father's campaign) and Rove helps him keep it up. You know...putting gay marriage on ballots to turn out voters, etc. Brilliant plan, it's been working.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:10 pm

While I believe Abstinence is the way to go, I don't believe that it should be the only thing that is tought. Realisticly some people are going to have sex whether you teach them abstinence or not. The best thing to do is to emphasise abstinence, while giving the other options.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby benjapage » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:20 pm

1337_Dude wrote:While I believe Abstinence is the way to go, I don't believe that it should be the only thing that is tought. Realisticly some people are going to have sex whether you teach them abstinence or not. The best thing to do is to emphasise abstinence, while giving the other options.

how 'bout not emphasizing anything? here's my sex ed dissertation:

sex makes babies, makes people feel great (and sometimes sad or hurt), and can kill a muffhugga, too. you can get these (such n' such) diseases if your mucous membrane contacts someone else's mucous membrane. risk is eliminated by not participating in this activity. risk is managed but not eliminated by sporting this here slicker (show the jimmy). no jimmy for your mutual mucous membrane contact? in all likelihood, your life's about to get much worse. for further reinforcements, exhortations, and/or limitations, go ask your parents and demand some answers.

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:50 pm

Coppermine wrote:I do just have to comment on this. As for emotional attachment, first of all, I think that depends on the individual. Some people may have a strong emotional attachment and feel the need to have sex only with someone they care deeply about. Others, not so much. There's no right or wrong, but if there is a strong emotional attachment that does take place, before during and after, then that's something that, again, is the responsibility of the individual.

I agree that not everyone will have these emotional hurts, just like they won't get pregnant or an STD every time. I threw all those out there as some consequences that people have experienced.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:53 pm

Coppermine wrote:I'm trying to justify living with my girlfriend and the scorn I receive from some of the more devout members of my community.

The problem I have with these people are that you have never agreed to live by God's law/standards, so who are we as humans to judge you. God specifically calls us not to judge others. As a Christian, I give other Christians the right to hold me accountable for my actions because I have agreed to live by those laws. You haven't and it's annoying and damaging when people do nothing but try to give you a guilt trip because you're not living by the standard they agreed to live by. On behalf of those people if I may, I apologize.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby emb0lus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:53 pm

I have read this entire post and I would submit one thing that has not been brought up about teaching sex ed in school.... What you teach to 8th graders gets filtered down in a twisted fashion to 3rd and 4th graders. How? Well, as a 3rd grader, I heard all about sex ed on the bus and had a lot of confusing beliefs about it because of what the 'older' kids would tell me. Despite what is taught about sex in schools, most 8th grade boys don't have the maturity to understand it anyway. They just know they have a boner and want to do something with it besides play with it themselves.
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:59 pm

benjapage wrote:edit: chad & omaha, i want to address what apparently has felt to you and some others (not just in this thread, but in at least several others of its ilk) like a religious bombardment: while it is true that some feel that judeo-christianity is complete fabrication, it is just as true that any belief system is just as fabricated. belief (and faith) are what we humans do to conceptualize a world that cannot be conceptualized.

no one (on this board or anywhere else) should feel the need to attack or defend a belief in a higher power, unless the belief is unmistakeably contingent upon the suffering of fellow humans. in that case, you know, have at it. that's what i say, anyway.
b
Thanks. I've never felt attacked here for what I believe. I won't post it if I did either. I think the guys around here respect what I have to say and I return the favor and respect what they have to say. Nobody ever became a Christian because someone insulted them, judged them, tried to make them feel guilty, or tried to shove their religion down their throats. I will never do and I hope I don't ever come off as trying to do that. I agree strongly with "Try harder to understand and less time trying to be understood." (paraphrase) I'm always open to Christian debate. I love it, but I'll never force myself upon others. Jesus never did. I never will.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby emb0lus » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:21 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
.. I agree strongly with "Try harder to understand and less time trying to be understood." (paraphrase) I'm always open to Christian debate. I love it, but I'll never force myself upon others. Jesus never did. I never will.[/quote]

good idea, and regardless of whether you read/believe the Bible or not, this is also sound advice

19My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
James 1:19

Anyway, the whole idea of telling kids to ask their parents isn't always the best idea either judging by many parents my wife has come across as a social worker for children :-o
emb0lus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:22 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
mak1277 wrote:In a public school, I think it is completely irresponsible to teach kids only one side of any issue. This goes for abstinence, evolution, and anything else. The point of school is to learn...if you only teach abstinence, you are impeding the right (and yes, it's a right) of the students to learn (about safe sex, STD's, etc.).

I have to draw issue with this. There are plenty of issues for which we should only teach one side. Some people claim we've never been to the moon. Should we teach both sides of that? Some say that dinosaurs aren't real. Should we teach both sides of that?

There are certain issues for which we shouldn't teach "both sides." You should only teach both sides if both sides have evidence.

Without question you are correct. I tend to speak in absolutes when I shouldn't.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk