Abstinence-only education - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Abstinence-only education

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:01 pm

mak1277 wrote:In a public school, I think it is completely irresponsible to teach kids only one side of any issue. This goes for abstinence, evolution, and anything else. The point of school is to learn...if you only teach abstinence, you are impeding the right (and yes, it's a right) of the students to learn (about safe sex, STD's, etc.).

I have to draw issue with this. There are plenty of issues for which we should only teach one side. Some people claim we've never been to the moon. Should we teach both sides of that? Some say that dinosaurs aren't real. Should we teach both sides of that?

There are certain issues for which we shouldn't teach "both sides." You should only teach both sides if both sides have evidence.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:05 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
mak1277 wrote:In a public school, I think it is completely irresponsible to teach kids only one side of any issue. This goes for abstinence, evolution, and anything else. The point of school is to learn...if you only teach abstinence, you are impeding the right (and yes, it's a right) of the students to learn (about safe sex, STD's, etc.).

I have to draw issue with this. There are plenty of issues for which we should only teach one side. Some people claim we've never been to the moon. Should we teach both sides of that? Some say that dinosaurs aren't real. Should we teach both sides of that?

There are certain issues for which we shouldn't teach "both sides." You should only teach both sides if both sides have evidence.

I'm firmly planted on the side of teaching ONLY certifiable facts. STD's are facts and consequences of having unprotected sex; it should be taught if sex is taught in school. Abstinance only is not really just one side; it is an irresponsible disambiguation of EVERY side of that issue.

Of course, creationism is a religious belief that is best left to the institutions of faith in which a specific student is aligned. Whether or not you believe in evolution has no dangerous side effects; abstinance-only education does.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:22 pm

Hey if you don't breathe you probably won't get lung cancer
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:23 pm

acsguitar wrote:Hey if you don't breathe you probably won't get lung cancer

That's absolutely never been proven before.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:34 pm

PlayingWithFire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:Hey if you don't breathe you probably won't get lung cancer

That's absolutely never been proven before.

True...lets see if Wveres will try it
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:08 pm

Since parents have decided that the well-being of their children is not important, I suppose it is, unfortunately, up to the public education system to educate children on certain matters that parents should be. But I think it's being done horribly wrong.

When promoting the use of condoms and other birth control methods they are condoning the practice itself. Say what you will about "they're going to do it anyway", but that's a pretty lame excuse. If we used this for everything we'd have anarchy. Yes, a lot of kids will choose to have sex no matter what you tell them, but many can be rescued if we take the time to examine the situation logically.

Abstinence only education will not work, unfortunately, because kids are taught through entertainment and media that this is an ackward and irrational idea. Outright teaching of the use of contraceptives is also wrong, because, as I stated above, that will only encourage kids to have sex. Like giving them the right and telling them that it's ok. Truth is, it's not.

The best way to teach children the consequences of sex is to point out the clear dangers of irresponsible practice. STDs, pregnancies, emotional trauma, etc. All very good reasons to avoid having sex until it is responsible enough to do so. I think AV put it nicely:
Art Vandelay wrote:I would wager that more lives have been adversly affected by sex than by drugs.

Stopping with the dangers of sex obviously would not be the responsible thing to do from an educator’s standpoint, as it has become clear that kids don’t always listen to educators. From this point, I would discuss possible contraceptives, but indirectly. Emphasize that, when ready, contraceptives are an effect means of preventing pregnancy between a couple not wishing to become pregnant.

Regarding AV’s above quote, you have to realize that there is a major different between sex and drugs. Sex is good, drugs are bad, mmmkay. There is no real way to practice the use of drugs responsibly, though some drugs are more harmless than others, while the practice of sex responsibly is a wonderful and healthy thing. That is exactly why drugs are illegal and sex is not.

I want to commend Chad for the unpopular stand he took. It is unfortunate, but I’ve found that the ones beating the tolerance drum are more likely to be less tolerant when their views are challenged. It’s a shame, but it’s a pattern that is being proven more and more. Like people using the race card for everything. Who’s the real racist?

I, too, am a God-fearing Christian and serve the same God that Chad does. I don’t practice religion and I have no religion. My faith is a way of life, not a religion. It took me a while to understand what this means, but after many mistakes I finally came to my senses to understand it as truth. Yes, I, too believe my faith enough to consider it fact. Like so many of you who believe what they practice as fact, I will also speak what I believe as fact, because I believe it is, therefore it is. I hope you understand what I’m trying to say here before jumping to conclusions and becoming ‘intolerant’ on me.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:13 pm

I don't see how education about contraceptives and protection promotes sexual behavior.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:18 pm

acsguitar wrote:I don't see how education about contraceptives and protection promotes sexual behavior.

Would the practice of gun safety promote the use of guns?

Would the practice of drinking safely promote drinking?

Would the practice of fireworks safety promote the use of fireworks?

Etc., etc., etc.

You cannot tell me that kids enjoy doing what they're told. They enjoy experimented with what knowledge you provide them.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:25 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I don't see how education about contraceptives and protection promotes sexual behavior.

Would the practice of gun safety promote the use of guns?

Would the practice of drinking safely promote drinking?

Would the practice of fireworks safety promote the use of fireworks?

Etc., etc., etc.

You cannot tell me that kids enjoy doing what they're told. They enjoy experimented with what knowledge you provide them.

Ok you don't teach gun safety to someone unless they already HAVE an interest in guns.

If someone taught me gun safety I still wouldn't go out and buy a gun

Its not like kids don't know what sex is and we are opening a magical box of naugtiness.

Kids know what condoms and birth control are way way way before they are "taught" anything about it. Another reason it is worthless and useless.

I doubt one kid has gone to sex ed and said. Woooo condoms I didn't know about that now I can gone bone people and not worry about it.

Everyone knows about condoms.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:34 pm

Teaching sex-education in schools no more wants kids to want to have sex than watching "Forrest Gump" makes them want to be a mentally-challenged Army Private.

http://www.pokercondoms.com/
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk