Abstinence-only education - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Abstinence-only education

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Abstinence-only education

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:36 am

Seeing as how we have a good mix of Christians and godless lefties in here, I thought that I would bring up the issue of abstinence-only education and see how everybody feels about not touching.

A few facts:
-Abstinence-only education does not teach abstinence as an alternative to safe sex and other means of contraception and prevention, it teaches it as the only means.
-The current US fed govt gave $178M to abstinence-only education last year. Because of a law requiring States to match federal money for abstinence-only programs, States and the Fed govt have spent $1.1B since 1996 to abstinence-only education.
-California, Maine and Pennsylvania are the only states to turn down abstinence-only education, the other 47 States run some type of abstinence-only program.
-35% of schools now teach abstinence-only and don't teach any sex ed. In Texas that's all that they teach.
-Students who receive abstinence-only education are less likely to use condoms or contraceptives and 88% of student who take a viginity pledge still end up having pre-marital sex studies show LINK

I think that abstinence-only education is dangerous but I'm still nervous when I think about a teacher showing my daughter how to put on a condom - what do I do? (She's only 2 so I have a long time to be nervous).

Please read this before responding
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 285)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:42 am

I think anytime you only teach one point of view you have a problem.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:46 am

I think the parents should be doing the teaching first off. I don't want my school teaching my kids how to get it on or not get it on.

As a godless lefty I'm all for free love man! j/k

Abstinance only may have worked in 1958 when girls dressed like this.

But now it seems like lots and lots of girls are dressing like this:

Its just hard to teach you not to go out and get you some. I think if we are going to teach sex ed we need to show pictures of STD's and videos of having a kid and how much it costs.

Abstinance only is dumb IMO. But I really don't wanna waste our budget on any sex ed.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby 5 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:49 am

Penn & Teller did a Bullsh*t show on this very topic. I agree with them.

How about educating kids instead of feeding them this abstinence only belief.

P.S. I'm not one of the Godless
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:11 pm

Fact is, our schools shouldn't be teaching this period. Whether it's how to put on a condom or trying to convince students to wait till marriage. This is not the government's job, it's the parent's. But because parents have become so damn lazy, it's fallen onto the shoulders of the government, like so many other things.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:14 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Fact is, our schools shouldn't be teaching this period. Whether it's how to put on a condom or trying to convince students to wait till marriage. This is not the government's job, it's the parent's. But because parents have become so damn lazy, it's fallen onto the shoulders of the government, like so many other things.

Amen brother. and we all know that the government has too much on there plate already that they are screwing up. ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:17 pm

In 8th grade we had to do this thing with these fake babies that cry and you have to hold them with a key to get them to shut the hell up...I mean stop crying.

We had to take them home for 3 days, and bring them back during school. It didn't really have an effect on anyone though. I don't think if someone is about to get it on they're going to say...wait a minute, I don't want to wind up with one of those things again. Especially considering the first night I took mine home it cried once and when I told the teacher that the next day he said, "Oh it must be broken. I guess you're off the hook then." Ok, works for me. :-B

Anyways, my point is this whole project doesn't really teach anything, and neither does abstinence only education. They need to teach the consequences of unprotected sex, and how to protect yourself. They need to realize teens are going to have sex no matter what they say, so they might as well accept it and teach how to be safe, instead of thinking they can stop it altogether and leave people uneducated.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 5 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:24 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:Anyways, my point is this whole project doesn't really teach anything, and neither does abstinence only education. They need to teach the consequences of unprotected sex, and how to protect yourself. They need to realize teens are going to have sex no matter what they say, so they might as well accept it and teach how to be safe, instead of thinking they can stop it altogether and leave people uneducated.

Agreed. Ignorance-Only isn't the answer.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:16 pm

I am convinced that teaching anything BUT abstinance-only will result in less teenage pregnancies; which would, in turn, result in less teenage abortions.

This is not how our Christian society works... telling teenagers how to have sex, how to use birth control, the risks involved in having sex like HIV and STD's... that's all ENCOURAGING them to have sex, right?

I have faith that our generation is much smarter than this. I think that any intelligent person will agree that abstinance-only results in a dangerous situation for teens. Apparently inherent biology is not in the Bible so it cannot be accepted that PEOPLE WILL HAVE SEX. Yes, I said, it, people will have sex. All kinds of people... married people, single people, gay people and teenagers... especially teenagers.

Then again, maybe it changes when you have a daughter of your own. You don't want her to have sex at all... EVER (except maybe on her wedding day, and not a day before!) That's unrealistic expectation though. Wouldn't you rather your daughter to make responsible, educated decisions, rather than just giving into the peer pressure of the first guy that sweet talks her into it (without a condom of course).

So back to our generation... and by that, I mean the majority of us here at the cafe are in the 18-35 demographic. Some of us have kids, some don't; but hopefully when we are the old-man blow hards in congress at the state and federal level making laws and decisions on funding telling our schools how our children should represent themselves between the sheets, we can use a logical, common sense approach to the subject, rather than simply turning a blind eye to the growing problem of teenage pregnancy while constantly denouncing abortion (which may be an indirect result of the exact legislation that they support).

And finally, I agree parents should be the ONLY one's with the burdon of responsibility when it comes to telling their kids about sex. But lets face the facts here; the demographics where teenage preganancy is truly a problem are the demographics that truly need this kind of education in school. They're just not going to get it elsewhere.

You could always be like the religious kid whose parents made you leave when the cheesey sex-ed video with the bunnies comes on.

And I'll leave with a memory of that episode of the simpson's where they showed the sex ed video with the bunnies and when they have sex, Mrs. Krabapple says "She's faking it." Haha, she probably was.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:22 pm

They should just teach the kids how to have oral and anal sex. No one gets pregnant that way. ;-7

Seriously, you give a kid a condom and show him how to use it he will just go out and use it. Then the next time he doesn't have one he'll still have sex anyway.

The problem is that the rest of society glamorizes sex so it doesn't matter what they teach in the schools. It all starts at home like so many things.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk