Can this roster maintain my lead? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Can this roster maintain my lead?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can this roster maintain my lead?

Postby IdiotBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:06 am

Here's my current roster:

C K. Johjima (Sea - C)
1B P. Konerko (CWS - 1B)
2B Jo. López (Sea - 2B)
3B S. Hillenbrand (Tor - 1B,3B)
SS J. Reyes (NYM - SS)
IF K. Youkilis (Bos - 1B,3B)
LF C. Granderson (Det - LF,CF)
CF C. Patterson (Bal - CF)
RF V. Guerrero (LAA - RF)
Util M. Holliday (Col - LF)

SP T. Wakefield (Bos - SP)
SP A. Sele (LAD - SP)
SP C. Hamels (Phi - SP)
RP B. Ryan (Tor - RP)
RP J. Putz (Sea - RP)
P T. Saito (LAD - RP)
BN J. Moyer (Sea - SP)
BN O. Hernández (NYM - SP)
BN G. Meche (Sea - SP)
BN J. Beckett (Bos - SP)
BN N. Robertson (Det - SP)
BN J. Lester (Bos - SP)
BN P. Martínez (NYM - SP) DL
DL R. Harden (Oak - SP) DL

As you can see, I've waived the right to have backup batters to maximize my pitching roster. My bats have been hot all season, so I'm not too worried about offense. In turn, my rotation is stacked and my bullpen is overflowing with talent.

However, the past week was a rough one. My team batted .238 in this ASG-shortened week, with only 2 HR, 10 RBI, and 21 Ks. I'm hoping it is just a slow week back from the break.

So, I'm thinking about picking up MacDougal who just came off the DL. Is there someone on that roster that you see to be expendable? I'd say El Duque would be the glaring exception there, except that LAST time I dropped him, he threw a CGSO the very next day, and, being a Mets fan, I was determined to not doubt him again.

I haven't been too impressed with Hamels. I know he's a young kid and he's going to take his lumps, and he can get massive Ks when he's on. But do I count on him down the stretch here? Should I count on him in the playoffs? I've got a solid 13-game lead (it was actually an 18-game lead before this All-Star break week). It is a 12-team H2H league.

I'd be more than happy to help analyze your lineup as well. Thanks!
IdiotBoy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MikeYoung4President » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:16 am

I would actually say Robertson and Hamels are your two most expendable guys. Don't let Robertson's ERA fool you; his WHIP is over 1.400 and he only has an average SO rate. As you said, Hamels will take his lumps, but I'm pretty high on this guy. I think he'll hang tough and help you out still.

El Duque, though, is striking out almost a batter an inning, and 2 bad outings (June 24 and July 16) have masked the fact that his ERA has been falling steadily since the beginning of June. While he's not the El Duque he used to be, if you pick and choose which match-ups to use him in, he'll do fine.

On the other hand, with Ryan, Putz, and Saito, do you really need MacDougal? He's an average closer on a below-average team. I wouldn't take him, but if you need another few saves, go for it.
MikeYoung4President
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IdiotBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:02 pm

MikeYoung4President wrote:I would actually say Robertson and Hamels are your two most expendable guys. Don't let Robertson's ERA fool you; his WHIP is over 1.400 and he only has an average SO rate. As you said, Hamels will take his lumps, but I'm pretty high on this guy. I think he'll hang tough and help you out still.

El Duque, though, is striking out almost a batter an inning, and 2 bad outings (June 24 and July 16) have masked the fact that his ERA has been falling steadily since the beginning of June. While he's not the El Duque he used to be, if you pick and choose which match-ups to use him in, he'll do fine.

On the other hand, with Ryan, Putz, and Saito, do you really need MacDougal? He's an average closer on a below-average team. I wouldn't take him, but if you need another few saves, go for it.

I guess this is what I wanted to hear. Heh. :) Thanks!
IdiotBoy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team