Hoping to improve on a 4th place team (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Hoping to improve on a 4th place team (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hoping to improve on a 4th place team (WHIR)

Postby MikeYoung4President » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:50 am

8 Team Roto, Keeper (4 bats and 3 arms)
AVG, HR, RBI, R, SB
ERA, WHIP, W, SO, SV

C Johnny Estrada
C Mike Napoli
1B Mark Teixeira
2B Brian Roberts
3B Joe Crede
SS Jose Reyes
MI Carlos Guillen
CI Justin Morneau
OF Grady Sizemore
OF Jermaine Dye
OF Marcus Thames
OF Raul Ibanez
OF Brad Hawpe
UT David Ortiz

SP Jake Peavy
SP Jose Contreras
SP Chris Young
SP Bronson Arroyo
SP Jeremy Bonderman
SP Dontrelle Willis
RP Akinori Otsuka
RP Derrick Turnbow
RP Jorge Julio

Hey guys, I'm in 4th place right now (thanks to some rotton early performances by Doug Davis and Andy Pettite, along with Turnbow's ridiculously high ERA/WHIP combo). I just traded to add David Ortiz to my lineup, and I'm wondering if he's just what I need to jump the standings (I'm 3 and 29 HRs behind 3rd and 2nd, and 16 RBI behind 3rd) or if I should add another power bat. Also, I have a comfortable 20 steal lead over 3rd place (though I'm another 20 behind 2nd)

Also, I'm dead last in ERA (at 4.43, next closest is 4.24) and WHIP (1.369 to 1.332). The only reason Turnbow is still on my team is that I need saves (I'm neck and neck for 3rd right now) and I'm not sure I trust any of the FA closers. Should my ERA eventually drip down below 4 with my current staff, or are there any obvious get-rid-of-him-now/sell high candidates there? Should I maybe drop one of my starters for a low whip/era SU man?

Notable FAs
C Varitek, McCann, Olivo, B Molina, Ross
1B Sexson, Swisher, Overbay, Gonzalez, Wigginton, Youkilis, Hillenbrand
2B Wigginton, Durham, Castillo, Phillips, Hall, Loretta, Barfield, Freel
3B Wigginton, Hall, Cuddyer, Inge, Lowell, Youkilis, Hillenbrand
SS Hall, Greene, Betancourt, Rollins, Ramirez
OF Swisher, Jenkins, Griffey, Cuddyer, Edmonds, Kearns, Wigginton, J Jones, Hall, Nevin, Wilkerson, Hunter, Monroe

SP Lilly, Meche, Padilla, El Duque, Myers, Vazquez, Bedard, Jennings

MR/SU Linebrink, Zumaya, Rodney, Shields, R Ramirez, Wainwright, Capps, J Rincon

CL Ryan Dempster, Bob Wickman, Eddie Guardado

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated, and if you leave a link, I'll try to help you as well.
MikeYoung4President
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MikeYoung4President » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:17 am

bump
MikeYoung4President
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MikeYoung4President » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:25 pm

bump

Anybody?
MikeYoung4President
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Subversive » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:36 pm

An 8 team league is pretty shallow, so I'm not an expert, but your pitching staff looks pretty weak to me. Peavy is your only ace, and he's been hurt alot this year. I would maybe try to bundle Arroyo (I don't think he's actually this good) with a hitter and see if you can get a stud pitcher in return. Then grab a hitter off the waiver wire. Other than that, I think your ERA should improve as time goes by, but you are pretty far behind, so you have to be patient.

Please reply to mine, thanks.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=227707
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby IdiotBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:40 pm

Thanks for your help on my thread! ;-D

I'm in the same boat as you in another league I'm in, which is also a rotisserie league. I'm in the top three in most offensive catagories, but my ERA and WHiP are all in the bottom 3.

Like you, I'm hoping that my pitchers will stabilize and stop giving up so many runs.

Ortiz will certainly help your offensive production, maybe take your off. stats to the top of the league.

There aren't any pitchers on your roster that are glaring weaknesses. It's also hard to tell if any of the FA pitchers are going to light up the second half of the season.

Before this weekend, I would have said to pick up Zumaya. even though he won't get you many wins or saves, he would have helped bandage your ERA and WHiP. Of course, he blew his Friday opportunity and is re-working the mechanics of his delivery now, so it is definately very risky to pick him up.

As you mentioned in my thread, El Duque's ERA ballooned early, and apart from those rough outings, he's been slowly improving. He might be a good pickup, as the Mets are in major need of their veteran starters (Pedro, Glavine, Duque) to step it up to help keep their relievers rested for the nights that the youngsters pitch and lose control.

Dempster, Wickman, and Guardado are all proven winners....just having bad-to-mediocre seasons. All 3 of them have the potential to really come on strong down the stretch. They all are playing for teams who were expected be in the hunt...and are now all but eliminated. Again, it is hard to determine which of these 3 teams (Cubs, Indians, Reds) who are gonna make a run for a playoff spot. I'd say Cincy has the best chance, of the three...for whatever that's worth. Guardado seems to be happy in Cincinnati, as his last 3 games he appeared in for his new team, he netted 3 saves.
IdiotBoy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MikeYoung4President » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:21 pm

bump
MikeYoung4President
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team