Just completed a trade, how do I look? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Just completed a trade, how do I look? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just completed a trade, how do I look? WHIR

Postby Frappy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:22 pm

Hey cafe, I just completed a trade that I think was pretty good.

Here it is: My Chris Young (SP-SD) for his Matt Holliday (OF-COL).

How do you like it? Heres my league settings and new roster with current rankings.

5 x 5 Roto 12 teamer with 8 keepers. 1250 IP Maximum limit. I have 2nd waiver priority and 1 open spot on my roster.

C- J. Willingham
1B- D.Lee
2B- C.Figgins
3B- A.Ramirez
SS- J.Rollins
OF- C.Crisp
OF- M.Holliday
OF- J.Dye
Util- J.Giambi
BN- M.Cuddyer
DL- T.Hunter

SP- D.Willis
SP- B.Zito
SP- J.Smoltz
SP- C C Sabathia
RP- J.Nathan
RP- B.Wickman
P- T.Jones
BN- D.Bush
BN- S.Shields
BN- D.Davis
BN- T.Glavine
BN- E.Jackson (Read Mclung)
BN- S.Mclung (Trying to monopolize the D-ray bullpen closer hopefuls)

Prospect- Chad Billingsley (Rights till End 06')
Prospect- Billy Butler (Rights till End 06')
Prospect- Daisuke Matsuzaka (Rights till end 07')
Prospect- Felix Pie (Rights till end 07')

With these prospect rights, I can hold them in the FA - not my roster - and add or drop them whenever. When their rights expire the only way I can keep them is by having them as one of my 8 MLB keepers.

Current Rankings- Out of 12

Runs- 7.0 (479)
HomeRuns- 6.0 (127)
RBIs- 4.0 (452)
SBs- 12.0 (88)
.AVG- 1.0 (.271)

Wins- 4.0 (43)
Saves- 10.0 (55)
Ks- 8.0 (580)
ERA- 10.0 (3.85)
WHIP- 8.0 (1.26)
Overall- 70.0 points good for 5th place. (2.5 from 3rd, 17.0 from 2nd, and 23.5 from 1st)

As you see, my pitching has been doing well while my offense has been lacking. I needed an OF bat and Matt Holliday is one the premier ones out there. I believe he will contribute nicely in Runs, Homeruns, and Rbis with a big contribution to my slumping Batting Average. He could also pitch in several SBs. To top it all off, Holliday is young and could very well be one of my keepers. I gave up Chris Young and I still believe hell be a great pitcher, but I dont think hes quite there yet. He traditionally performs horribly in the 2nd half and seems to have the advantage of being a new pitcher to the NL. I could be wrong here, but dealing Young off rids me of a question mark and a pitcher with a 2nd half Career ERA of over 5. In return, I got the solid bat of Holliday who finnally seems to be breaking out this year. What do you think of the trade?

I think Im set, but here are two other ideas Im playing with:

1) Trade a closer (Wickman or Jones) for a SP eligible closer. This frees up a RP spot for Shields who can vulture some wins and saves for me while posting monster ERA,WHIP,and K numbers.
2) Pick up B.Giles and see if he can pick it up (Would he be waiver priority worthy?)

Anyway, if you read all this (I like to get in-depth) thanks alot and please rate my new team. I for one think this team of underacvhievers can make a good run in these final 2 and a half months. Thanks and WHIR as always,

- Matt.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A's » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:32 pm

Hey thanks for the post. That trade is would be good for you from any aspect from keeper to head to head leagues. young just had a bad outing so he is returning to earth. Holliday is a great hitter who flits around .340. Eventually it will come down but not by a lot. Plus he has also good power. And the lineup he is in, equals to a lot of runs and rbi's. He would look like a 110R and 120 RBI
A's
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Frappy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:33 pm

;-D
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Subversive » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:39 pm

I think the trade is a good one, as it is nearly impossible to win a league finished dead last in a category. You could try to pick up another high average hitter, maybe trade a pitcher. I think your pitching staff is strong enough to withstand the loss of 1 starter, and if you can swing a 2 for 1, where you give up a decent starter and a decent hitter for a 4-5 category player, that would be ideal.

Please reply to mine, thanks.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=227707
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ragged25 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:45 pm

I like the trade and Holliday is definitely worth Young. I don't know if he will drop of that much though and think he's good to go for the rest of the season. That big "1" for AVG will not be good enough for the title, so even though you are still way below avg. in wins, this is a move you had to make. Arms are easier to replace than a nice bat. A few more tweaks here and there will easily move you up.

Help me out?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... 18#1792518
ragged25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Frappy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:39 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. With underacheivers dotted through my starting 9 combined with holliday, I feel good about coming back in AVG. BA is also something that seems to be rather simple to gain in. If B. Giles falls to FA ill pick him up and monitor him, because that's a career .300 hitter right there whos not hitting as well right now. Otherwise, hopefully guys like Lee, Rollins,Figgins, and Ramirez can pick up the pace.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:14 pm

Great trade there...Young won't keep that era that low given his fly ball tendencies. His 8.9 k/9, 3.3 bb/9 and 1.3 hr/9 (after I adjust it for some slight bad luck) project to a 4.00 era and a 1.263 whip. Not bad but not nearly Matt Holliday value level.

As for your standings it's just a bunch of underachievers in the batting average area. I wouldn't go nuts trying to fix it.

The RP trade I would say as long as you get decent value it would be a good move.

On Brian Giles I would stay far away. He's just not the hitter he used to be as far as power goes. He may post a decent average still but his lack of power means he won't be a reliable .300 hitter anymore.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Frappy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:24 pm

Thanks for great numbers there LL ;-D

How does my team look overall now?
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:46 pm

It looks pretty strong though with the hole that your hitting dug you in average so far I'd be a bit worried about coming all the way back. I'd also consider playing Cuddyer over Figgins if it wouldn't hurt your position in the sb category. Cuddyer will put up more hr/rbi's than Figgins and with the way they're both hitting this year you'll be about break-even in the deal with average.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Frappy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:04 pm

Putting Cuddyer over figgins leaves me thin In OF depth. Crisp is struggling once again so Im most likely going to plug Cuddyer in the OF. I picked up F. Cattalanotto from our thin FA for my free roster spot.
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team