Kowie Kendrick - player of the game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kowie Kendrick - player of the game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Kowie Kendrick - player of the game

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:07 pm

3 for 4, 2 runs, 2 rbis

SO naturally, the Angels will send him back down.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flowbee » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:08 pm

Its OK, it just helps his quasi-sleeper status for next year
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:31 pm

I drafted him in my keeper over my next choice-- Johnny Damon. I don't regret it. I think he'll be special. I can wait on him until next year, but the Angels are still in the playoff chase and should keep him up.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:52 pm

His speed was shocking... We had runners on 2nd and 3rd, HK on 2nd... We get a dink single to the centerfielder, and too my total shock, HK motored in to score all the way from 2nd. I couldn't believe it. I'd just assumed that was a one rbi hit.

If the Angels send HK down and continue starting Kennedy, I may revolt and become a Dodger fan. Sending Jered down nearly did it. The Angels are in the playoff hunt, every game matters. To not put HK in full time at 2nd out of respect for a has been vet like Kennedy who's playing out his contract year... I think I'll just puke.

I have two rules of coaching: (1) if a players hot, play him. (2) All other things equal, play your best players... HK meets that criteria on both counts over Kennedy.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kid sox » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:18 am

johnsamo wrote:I have two rules of coaching: (1) if a players hot, play him. (2) All other things equal, play your best players... HK meets that criteria on both counts over Kennedy.

AL only league here, I currently have BJ Upton stashed on my bench hoping for an impact bat down the stretch. Looking into your crystal ball, do you think I'd be better of with Kendrick? Another option that comes to mind is A. Marte.
Last edited by kid sox on Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kid sox
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jsphlly » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:19 am

I just bumped HK's thread in 'Baseball Leftovers' but I might as well ask here too.

What's the gameplan with HK? He staying up? He playing everyday? Anyone know?
jsphlly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:38 am

jsphlly wrote:I just bumped HK's thread in 'Baseball Leftovers' but I might as well ask here too.

The gameplan is to find a taker for Kennedy.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby dc928 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:56 am

teddyballgamemvp wrote:
jsphlly wrote:I just bumped HK's thread in 'Baseball Leftovers' but I might as well ask here too.

The gameplan is to find a taker for Kennedy.

I say forget about trading AK....just dump him and start HK. To trade him you have to contine to play AK. I mean he has no value now who the hell wants him? If Angels dont' start HK over AK then they are stupid and don't deserve to make the playoff.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:13 pm

Kendrick keeps self in the show
Rookie's three hits stave off demotion

BY DOUG PADILLA, Staff Writer

ANAHEIM - It is one thing to deliver in the clutch with the game on the line.

Howie Kendrick came through Sunday with his roster spot in jeopardy as well.

Kendrick had three hits, including the go-ahead RBI in the eighth inning, as the Angels completed their second sweep in their past three series with a 7-5 victory over the Tampa Bay Devil Rays at Angel Stadium.

With the Angels needing a roster spot for Dustin Moseley, who will make his major- league debut on the mound tonight, the decision on whom to send out was down to Erick Aybar and Kendrick. Aybar will suit up with Triple-A Salt Lake tonight in Fresno.

Kendrick finally had a day in the major leagues that matched his eye-popping numbers in the minors. His three hits Sunday matched his total output in 10games earlier this season with the Angels.

"I just felt a little better this time because I knew what to expect coming in," said Kendrick, who was recalled Friday and sat on the bench the first two nights after his return. "The experience the first time was a teacher to me. I learned a lot of things from that, and I took them down to the minor leagues, and I got a lot better at them. Hopefully, I'll stay that way."

The biggest lesson Kendrick learned was to be patient. That is how he fashioned a .369 batting average at Triple-A with 13 home runs and 62 RBIs in 69 games.

"When he came up, I think he thought he had to hit every pitch and hit it hard," manager Mike Scioscia said. "He was expanding his zone. He just has a great knack to be able to square up the baseball. But he has to get pitches he can handle to do that."

Kendrick took what was given to him Sunday. His first hit was an opposite-field double to right in the fifth inning, and he later scored. In the sixthinning, he delivered an RBI double to right-center.

After the Devil Rays tied the score 5-5 with the assistance of an error by Chone Figgins in center field, Kendrick again was clutch in the eighth. A wild pitch moved pinch-runner Aybar to second before Kendrick lashed an RBI single into left. He scored when Jose Molina followed with a double.

"I was just trying to work up the middle, and that's what I normally do," Kendrick said. "I just kind of got away from that for a while and it just feels good to be comfortable. I had a few days off for the All-Star break and I feel refreshed."

Kendrick had two All-Star experiences this season. He played in the Futures Game in Pittsburgh on July 10 and the Triple-A All-Star Game last week.

Kendrick was a combined 0 for 5 in the two games, but found Devil Rays pitching much more accommodating.

"The first time (in the major leagues), you're running (off) adrenaline but this time, I'm excited to be here and I'm glad to be here," Kendrick said. "I'm just a little more comfortable and a little more at ease about it."

Also at ease with some changes has been Bartolo Colon, who had a second consecutive impressive outing, although he was not involved in the decision. After a shutout against Seattle in his final start before the break, Colon started his second half by allowing three runs on seven hits over six innings against the Devil Rays.

Colon has been adjusting to a reduction in velocity as he tries to strengthen the sore right shoulder that caused him to miss two months. He used a two-seam fastball to dominate in Seattle but went with off-speed pitches to battle the Devil Rays.

"I've come to understand that my fastball from the past is not there," Colon said through broadcaster Jose Mota, who was serving as an interpreter. "I think it's making me realize even more that I have to be a complete pitcher. It's not like I've ignored those pitches in the past, but now I'm conscious of using those pitches earlier in the game.

"But I keep working hard to find my fastball ... trust me."

Colon was in a 3-0 hole in the fifth inning before the Angels responded with two in their half of the fifth and three in the sixth.

Devil Rays manager Joe Maddon was ejected for arguing a close play at first base in the fifth inning. Tampa Bay first baseman Travis Lee was ejected one batter later.

The Angels kept their cool and now have won a season- high six consecutive games and 11 of their past 12. After struggling at home for most of the season, the Angels have now won five consecutive in their own ballpark and are 22-23 at home.

The Angels are now a half game behind the second-place Texas Rangers in the American League West and remained 1<MD+,%30,%55,%70>1/<MD-,%0,%55,%70>2games behind division- leader Oakland.

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_4060068
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Remember... this is a team that sent Jered Weaver down and kept Kevin Gregg.... Who? you might ask. Exactly.

The Angels do love their veterans. The Angel line is, they provide "clubhouse presence"... which is fine, but the fricking towel boy can do that, we need players who provide "onfield performance".

I call them the 2002 OC Gang, Salmon, Erstad, Anderson and Kennedy. The old school guys who've been with the Angels for years and years and more importantly have a world series ring.

Of the 4, only GA can still somewhat play, but because he's so beloved, Scioscia puts his arthritic body into left field (thus taxing his body) even when he could DH.

The other 3 are dead weight. Erstad makes Wood & Prior look like newbies when it comes to the DL and Salmon, though you can hear his knee bones grinding together, can usually make it out once a week for a pinch hit or a DH start.... No way he can play in the field though. Kennedy can at least play without cortisone injections, but he can't hit with any power and anytime we have a runner on first, they have to do a hit run when Kennedy is at bat because he's so prone to double plays. And his #s against lefites are like playing by NL rules. His avg. is 40 points below the Medoza line.

Being in the playoff hunt might change things... the need to win EVERY POSSIBLE GAME you can may force them to play Kendrick full time.... Who knows? It's like North Korean analysts, you can't bee 100% sure what they'll do next.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates