What's wrong with Buehrle lately? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's wrong with Buehrle lately?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's wrong with Buehrle lately?

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:55 am

14.1 IP, 22 ER's, 14.04 ERA 2.27 WHIP

That's Buehrle's aggregate line from his last three starts. Quite ghastly to look at if you own this guy :-o

So, for those who have been watching his last few starts... Can anyboy assess what the problem he is having or is this just a really, really bad stretch?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tianyi86 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:31 am

The yankee game was just good scouting report. Buerle keeps throwing high strikes on first pitch, and the yankees hit every single one of them, and a few out of the park.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby CeeLoGreen » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:56 am

tianyi86 wrote:The yankee game was just good scouting report. Buerle keeps throwing high strikes on first pitch, and the yankees hit every single one of them, and a few out of the park.

I watched the game and totally agree. The Yanks hit a ton of first pitches that Buerhle threw right in their wheel house's. He seemed to get really frustrated as the game went on, so perhaps it's a mental thing and can be worked out. I can't speak of his other games, having not seen them.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ursa » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:01 pm

CeeLoGreen wrote:
tianyi86 wrote:The yankee game was just good scouting report. Buerle keeps throwing high strikes on first pitch, and the yankees hit every single one of them, and a few out of the park.

I watched the game and totally agree. The Yanks hit a ton of first pitches that Buerhle threw right in their wheel house's. He seemed to get really frustrated as the game went on, so perhaps it's a mental thing and can be worked out. I can't speak of his other games, having not seen them.

The one against the Cubs (10 ER conceded) was just horrible. He was all over the place against one of the worst hitting teams in MLB. Since I drafted him in the 6th round of a 16 team league as my top SP, I was quite pleased with his first half but the last three have been nothing short of catastrophic.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby tomdoyle3 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:54 pm

His k/9 has dropped from 5.7 in 2005 to 3.9 this year, that's the only real difference in his numbers..
tomdoyle3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby teddyballgamemvp » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:25 pm

Buehrle is an elite home field pitcher (Top 25). It's frustrating that you can't, as an owner, start him on the road, but at least you can bank on an overall excellent season if you limit him that way-- he's still very productive. In fact, he's basically Roy Oswalt at home-- and who wouldn't want to own Roy Oswalt?

Many pitchers don't have such defined splits, so be thankful that he doesn't suck everywhere. Bronson Arroyo is having an All Star season because of his home starts. Dave Bush has made owners not feel so bad about drafting him since they know they can rely on him at home.

EDIT: Another one I found is Doug Davis. His split is ridiculous-- a total Jekyll and Hyde. In fact, you can probably steal him from an owner for a bag of balls and start him at home only and get a truly excellent pitcher.
Chris Iannetta was born on Krypton and transported to Earth as an infant and saves the universe when he's not getting on base every plate appearance.
teddyballgamemvp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kugino » Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:48 pm

as far as i'm concerned, this i the "real" buehrle...he's not that good. a good 3rd or 4th pitcher, but not an elite one...
5x5 12-team league w/5 keepers.
as of 5/02: 2nd place; 5/27: 6th
kugino
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers