The Genius of Bill Stoneman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

The Genius of Bill Stoneman

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sLim » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:12 pm

i actually think aybar needs to stay in the infield...he would be a great CF...but i would rather have figgins there and aybar at 3b or ss...some infield position...his talents on the defensive side of the ball are way too important to ignore...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:46 pm

Here is what I hope happens in 08:

1) Angels sign either A Rod or Miguel Cabrera. ( I prefer Cabrera, but I'll take either). I think even Stony could'nt screw that up.

2) Brandon Wood takes over at 3b or SS, depending on who they sign in #1 above.

3) Figgins is dealt for pitching.

4) Both Colon and Orlando Cabrera go bye-bye.

5) Aybar becomes the new Figgins, the super utility player, or if Wood falters, takes over for Wood.

Just one Angel fans dream.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby angelsfan56 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:10 am

Halo Homers wrote:Here is what I hope happens in 08:

1) Angels sign either A Rod or Miguel Cabrera. ( I prefer Cabrera, but I'll take either). I think even Stony could'nt screw that up.

5) Aybar becomes the new Figgins, the super utility player, or if Wood falters, takes over for Wood.

Ok look OC isnt going anywhere neither is Figgi Soscia loves Figgi he said hes never seen a player like figgi.Colon is a possibility if he doesnt come back strong and return to his CYyoung form. and i think vlad is due for a contract extension
angelsfan56
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Halo Homers » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:33 pm

angelsfan56 wrote:

Ok look OC isnt going anywhere neither is Figgi Soscia loves Figgi he said hes never seen a player like figgi.Colon is a possibility if he doesnt come back strong and return to his CYyoung form. and i think vlad is due for a contract extension

Angels need a power bat desperately, and Figgns is the most likely one to be traded to accomodate a move. Let's look position by position at the team (Long Term Look)

RF - Vladdy - Not going anywhere, as you correctly pointed out, he will be resinged.
CF- GJM - Not going anywhere, and has a no trade clause.
LF - Garrett Anderson - Two years left on a bad deal. Would be difficult to deal.
4th OF - Rivera when his leg heals
3B - Currently Figgins Job, but in danger.
SS - OC, with Brandon Wood and Eric Aybar waiting in the wings. OC is gone, a la Erstad and Kennedy.
2B- Kendrick - Angels hope is the 2B for the next 10 years.
1B- Kotchman/Morales/Hillenbrand - No great talent
C- Napoli, Mathis, Molina - Angels seem content to figure out which 2 of those 3 will catch for the Angels for the next few years.
DH - Vladdy and GA will occupy this spot with Hillenbrand.

Given this assessment, the 2 most likely areas for the Angels to upgrade are 3B and 1B. Miguel Cabrera and most likely A Rod will be available next offseason, maybe even by the trading deadline. So, Figgins future does not look bright. The only thing I would see saving Figgins is if the Angels go after a power bat at 1B. I don't know who might be available at that spot at the trading deadline, or in 08, and I think the Angels are still hoping Kotchman or Morales step up.

Given this scenario, I think OC is all but gone, and Figgins is in danger, probably not this year, but certainly next.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sLim » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:22 pm

thats exactly what that is...a dream
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sLim » Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:27 pm

angelsfan56 wrote:Ok look OC isnt going anywhere neither is Figgi Soscia loves Figgi he said hes never seen a player like figgi.Colon is a possibility if he doesnt come back strong and return to his CYyoung form. and i think vlad is due for a contract extension

with the angels logjam from aybar(who is likely to get traded), to brandon wood(who will probably end up playin 3b, to sean rodriguez...there is no way they resign a 34-35 year old OC...

and figgins was involved in every deal when they were shopping around for a bat last year...so there is a huge possibility that he gets traded...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:38 am

sLim wrote:

Why do you say that? A Rod is known to admire the Angels organization, although playing for Sweet Lou in Chicago will be his first choice, and Marlins took Cabrera to arbitration less than 1 million. I am sure that did not set well with Cabrera, so he will certainly be available, perhaps at the trade deadline. Don't think Arte will step up with the money and just tell Stony to do it? I think he will, unless Wood, Kendrick, Kotchman or Morales really step it up.

With the GJM situation, looks like Figgins or perhaps Aybar might end up in CF.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sLim » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:43 pm

Halo Homers wrote:
sLim wrote:

Why do you say that? A Rod is known to admire the Angels organization, although playing for Sweet Lou in Chicago will be his first choice, and Marlins took Cabrera to arbitration less than 1 million. I am sure that did not set well with Cabrera, so he will certainly be available, perhaps at the trade deadline. Don't think Arte will step up with the money and just tell Stony to do it? I think he will, unless Wood, Kendrick, Kotchman or Morales really step it up.

With the GJM situation, looks like Figgins or perhaps Aybar might end up in CF.

im a huge miguel cabrera fan...and i just dont see the angels signing him...look at how they approached the biggest free agent in this offseason in soriano...they made an offer that was nearly 20-30 million dollars shorter then what he ended up signing for...and they wouldnt budge...and then they decide to sign nearly half of what they offered soriano with a gary mathews jr signing and a crappy stop gap offensive solution in hillenbrand...

EVERYONE keeps on saying how great it would be to sign cabrera...OF COURSE...u tell me one single team that wouldn't like to sign someone like cabrera...IF he does hit the free agent market this off season...he WILL be the biggest signing and the angels wont fork over that kind of dough...

arod is a more likely since hes in his early 30s...but even that might be too high of a price for arte and stoneman...

teams are gonna ask for one of the angels pitching prospects as well as one of their hitting prospects if a trade were to happen before the deadline...and as we have seen in the past...stoneman won't pull the trigger for a one year rental like cabrera...maybe for someone who is signed long term like a tejada...but not for a free agent to be...
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sLim » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:45 pm

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/ ... &cset=true

there u go...no arod for the angels
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager