Computer Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Computer Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Computer Question

Postby Webster11 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:55 pm

Im looking at a new computer for college and I was told that to log onto the network you need Windows XP professional. I also want to be able to watch movies, tv etc on my computer and all of the computers which allow me to do that have Windows XP media center edition. I was wondering if I will still be able to log onto the network with media center edition? I know you can log on with Professional and can't logon with Home
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:33 pm

I highly doubt you wouldnt be able to get an Internet connection from your dorm room because of your OS. That's just my opinion though. I was a computer tech in my dorm and I still saw a number of comps still running on Win 98, Me, 2000. You should be fine with XP Pro. What school will you be attending btw? I can take a look at their Comp Services site.
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Webster11 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:52 pm

Rirruto wrote:I highly doubt you wouldnt be able to get an Internet connection from your dorm room because of your OS. That's just my opinion though. I was a computer tech in my dorm and I still saw a number of comps still running on Win 98, Me, 2000. You should be fine with XP Pro. What school will you be attending btw? I can take a look at their Comp Services site.

University of michigan. I think I will be able to access the internet I think the problem might be accessing my files on the network. It doesnt sound like it should be a problem, but I remember hearing something about it at orientation. Thanks
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:06 pm

Webster11 wrote:
Rirruto wrote:I highly doubt you wouldnt be able to get an Internet connection from your dorm room because of your OS. That's just my opinion though. I was a computer tech in my dorm and I still saw a number of comps still running on Win 98, Me, 2000. You should be fine with XP Pro. What school will you be attending btw? I can take a look at their Comp Services site.

University of michigan. I think I will be able to access the internet I think the problem might be accessing my files on the network. It doesnt sound like it should be a problem, but I remember hearing something about it at orientation. Thanks

It looks like all you will need is an internet connection, a browser, and your login info to access your web storage:
http://mfile.umich.edu/
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Webster11 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:18 pm

Thanks maybe thats not what I wont be able to access then. Im really not sure but I remember there will be some sort of problem with home edition. On that website they also list these as minimum requirements, so im not really sure if the media center edition is okay or not

* At least 512 MB (megabytes) of RAM (random access memory)
* At least 20 GB (gigabytes) of available hard disk space
* CD or DVD drive with write capability
* 10base-T or faster Ethernet capability (built into all Macintosh computers, some PCs may require a Network Interface Card [NIC])
* Pentium-class III or later processor for PC; PowerPC G4 or G5 or the new Intel Core processor for Macintosh
* Operating System: Windows XP Professional for PC; Mac OS X (10.3 or higher) for Macintosh
* Wireless capabilities are becoming increasingly popular. Internal or external wireless cards should be IEEE 802.11 a/b/g or IEEE 802.11 b/g.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rirruto » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:23 pm

Yeah I saw that, I would take that with a grain of salt. Those are just recommendations I am sure. If you're still a little concerned about it, I would just email their Help Desk ;-D
Rirruto
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:24 pm

A bunch of those don't seem like they matter if you have them or not. A CD or DVD drive that has writing capabilities wouldn't matter.

Are you looking at a PC or laptop? For college I think going with a laptop would be a much smarter choice. You can use it around the campus, especially if they have wireless which it said they do, and it doesn't take up a ton of space in your dorm like a PC and desk would.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Webster11 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:46 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:A bunch of those don't seem like they matter if you have them or not. A CD or DVD drive that has writing capabilities wouldn't matter.

Are you looking at a PC or laptop? For college I think going with a laptop would be a much smarter choice. You can use it around the campus, especially if they have wireless which it said they do, and it doesn't take up a ton of space in your dorm like a PC and desk would.

Yup im going with the laptop, Ill probably email them just to be safe
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:40 pm

Using a laptop as your room PC and taking it to class is a pain, it seems in my experience talking with students. If you have a printer, everyday you have to hook it up and and take it off. Also, if you want to actually do stuff like games with a laptop, it costs a lot more money for similar power to a desktop and theres the battery life issues also.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:50 am

I thought Media Center was home edition plus media goodies.

Anyways to join there domain I think you can still use home or media center.

I'm not exactly sure you should probably call the computer lab there and they should be able to tell you.

Networking is tricky and I have Media Center and haven't been to successful in setting up my home network.

Anyways you can watch TV without media center just get another program. Media center is cool but there are other programs and tuners out there that can do the job just as well if not better.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk