Clemens 2005 Flashback: No Run Support - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Clemens 2005 Flashback: No Run Support

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Clemens 2005 Flashback: No Run Support

Postby d18Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:22 pm

Remember last year when Clemens had a sub 2.00 ERA and ther Astros FAILED TO SCORE in 9 of his starts?

Well Roger, welcome to 2006. It's Groundhogs Days!
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Philliebuster » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 pm

It's frustrating, gotta think the law of averages will take affect...I figured a win against the fish however. Don't worry, he'll come out of the game, and they'll come back and win.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:41 pm

I didn't go into quite how bad it was last year -- I think there were 15 starts altogether where he got 3 or less runs to work with. It truly was/is past being a law of average issue. I truly believe they must approach the games differently. I've certainly never seen anything like it. Amazing.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:26 pm

If this is Clemens last year, and it sure seems like it will be, you would think he would have gone to Boston or New York, and team with a better chance to win.

Houston's chances even with him are 50/50 at best.

Thought he would want to go out on top.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby tianyi86 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:15 pm

Philliebuster wrote:It's frustrating, gotta think the law of averages will take affect...I figured a win against the fish however. Don't worry, he'll come out of the game, and they'll come back and win.

Thats a very common statistically incorrect statement. Law of averages doesnt exist, its commonly used by commentators but it does not exist.

The law is law of large numbers, but the term "large" refers to anything close to infinity. Not having run support for 2 or 3 seasons happens quite alot in the laws of statistics.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:04 pm

Houston has the exact same record this year, as they had last year at sametime... Getting Roger Clemens back, and trading for Huff... Watch them swiftly move up the standings, and once again make the playoffs...

Off the arm of the "Rocket Man" run support or not! ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ThisOneGuy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:34 pm

d18Mike wrote:I didn't go into quite how bad it was last year -- I think there were 15 starts altogether where he got 3 or less runs to work with. It truly was/is past being a law of average issue. I truly believe they must approach the games differently. I've certainly never seen anything like it. Amazing.

Yeah, I wonder if maybe his teammates don't want to screw up when the living legend is on the mound, so they get nervous, or they think they won't need a lot of runs that day. :-? Also, I suppose opposing pitchers are probably pumped up to face him, and know they need to bring their 'A' game.

Whatever the reason, it's quite bizarre.
ThisOneGuy
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers