100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Escobar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Escobar

Postby BillyMafia » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:05 pm

Angels' Escobar placed on DL

07/14/06 3:00:04 PM CDT

Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - The LA Angels of Anaheim pitcher Kelvim Escobar on the 15-day disabled list with irritation of the right elbow on Friday.

Escobar is 6-9 with a 3.88 ERA in 17 starts this season. The right-hander has had a history of right elbow problems. He had surgery last season to have bone chips removed.

To replace Escobar on the club's 25-man roster, the Angels recalled infielder Howie Kendrick from Triple-A Salt Lake.

Kendrick, who turned 23 on July 12, makes his second stint with the Angels this season. Originally recalled on April 24, he made his major league debut on April 26 and appeared in 10 games with the Angels, batting .115 (3/26) with one RBI. He was optioned to Salt Lake on May 14.
BillyMafia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago RedSox » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:39 pm

I've been thinking about dropping this guy, but now that he's on the DL I can just sit on him and think about it and try someone else out.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby byfrcp » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:11 pm

Any idea how serious this is? Or long long it will be?
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GrubNasty » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:31 pm

sweeeet, i drop patterson cause hes just an un-annouced return dl, now escobar goes down.....
GrubNasty
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Minor League Skilz » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:21 pm

GrubNasty wrote:sweeeet, i drop patterson cause hes just an un-annouced return dl, now escobar goes down.....

I'm in the same boat with both of those guys. :-P
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby echrisl » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:19 pm

Are you serious? Jeez ...
Using a key to gouge expletives on another's vehicle is a sign of trust and friendship.
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:19 am

Hmm, someone just dropped him in one of my leagues... Strange, why didn't the guy just wait to place him on the DL? Escobar isn't that awful compared to some of the waiver wire trash littering the FA list :-?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby d18Mike » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:52 am

As I said in an Escobar thread last week ...

Instructions on Ecscobar use: Place on mound. Throw gem. Go on DL. Implode on Mound. Rinse, lather, repeat.

It's a constant cycle of euphoria and disaapointment. However recently it's a lot more of the latter. He used to he a top quartile pitcher when right. Now I think he's a top 50% guy, at best.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:49 am

It's being diagnosed as tendonitis, and the move is retroactive to his last game before the break so he may only miss one start...

Escobar to miss start due to tendinitis
By Doug Padilla, Staff writer

ANAHEIM - Kelvim Escobar went on the disabled list Friday with elbow tendinitis and because of a communication mix-up he nearly went into a rage as well.
Since Escobar came out of his July 6 start at Oakland with a sore elbow ligament, the Angels chose the DL as a precaution. The right-hander had an MRI on Thursday that showed no structural damage.

When Escobar arrived to the ballpark Friday all he knew was that he would miss his next scheduled start, but he knew nothing about having to miss 15 days of action. It seems that Escobar was unaware that a DL stint is retroactive to the last game played.

"I don't know what's going on," Escobar said shortly after arriving in the clubhouse. "I don't think I'm going to be very happy if they put me on the DL without my knowledge and they haven't talked to me."

A brief meeting with manager Mike Scioscia and pitching coach Bud Black cleared up the confusion. It was explained that his DL stint was retroactive to July 7 and he would be eligible to rejoin the rotation next Saturday.

The timeframe was same as if his start was skipped, but by putting Escobar on the DL the Angels were able to recall a player. Howie Kendrick was brought up for the time being.

Joe Saunders, who is 10-3 with a 2.51 ERA in 19 starts at Triple-A Salt Lake, is the likely candidate to pitch in that spot.

"I didn't want to go on the DL for 15 more days," said Escobar, who signed a three-year, $28.5 million contract extension May 31. "I didn't need that. It should be fine."
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazing Oopah » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:27 am

Any chance Saunders sticks in the rotation if he has a start like Jered's?
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates