phils closer if gordon goes? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

phils closer if gordon goes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:22 pm

The White Sox are targeting a list of top relievers, and it's believed that roster includes the Mets' Duaner Sanchez

No way do the Mets trade him.

blankman wrote:Yankees should get him to fix what they should have done this offseason- sign Gordon at all costs. Look what's happened to this bullpen without him. :-t

I disagree that they should get him. I would have preferred that they kept him over Farnsworth but what's done is done there. If Dotel is healthy, I don't see the room or the need for Gordon.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby blankman » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:29 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
The White Sox are targeting a list of top relievers, and it's believed that roster includes the Mets' Duaner Sanchez

blankman wrote:Yankees should get him to fix what they should have done this offseason- sign Gordon at all costs. Look what's happened to this bullpen without him. :-t

I disagree that they should get him. I would have preferred that they kept him over Farnsworth but what's done is done there. If Dotel is healthy, I don't see the room or the need for Gordon.

You can always use another arm in the bullpen. Farnsworth is still a huge question mark, and Dotel is an even bigger question mark. Gordon is a sure thing and with him, suddenly all they need to worry about is getting Farnsworth OR Dotel or even Villone through the 7th.

I really hope Dotel does well, but after over a year off, who knows.

The bullpen has been killing this team for years now and Gordon would make that pen so much better and slide everyone else down in responsibility.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:20 pm

blankman wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

You can always use another arm in the bullpen. Farnsworth is still a huge question mark, and Dotel is an even bigger question mark. Gordon is a sure thing and with him, suddenly all they need to worry about is getting Farnsworth OR Dotel or even Villone through the 7th.

The bullpen has been killing this team for years now and Gordon would make that pen so much better and slide everyone else down in responsibility.

From a talent perspective, I wouldn't mind seeing Gordon there but even the Yankees have a budget. I can't see them putting $12-13M per season into 2 relievers that won't be closing and 2 relievers that I wouldn't want anywhere near the mound in a big game.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:21 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

From a talent perspective, I wouldn't mind seeing Gordon there but even the Yankees have a budget. I can't see them putting $12-13M per season into 2 relievers that won't be closing and 2 relievers that I wouldn't want anywhere near the mound in a big game.

since when do the yankees have a budget??
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:30 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

I'm in agreement with Lo here. It would be nice to get Gordon on the team simply for depth purposes, but come late September and October, I do not want Flash on the mound with the game on the line. I've seen him melt too many times.

Perhaps I'd be more anxious to get him back on the team if he weren't inked for the next two years (which is precisely the reason I didn't want the Yankees to sign him in the offseason). He's 38 years old and has been overworked for the past couple of seasons. He's not money in big games and he's making a pretty high amount of money for a non-closer.

I also agree that the Mets would be morons to part with Duaner Sanchez, and I do not believe Minaya to be a moron, so there's no way I see that happening. Heilman could be a possibilty, but certainly not Sanchez.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:41 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
blankman wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

since when do the yankees have a budget??

I won't take the bait but they do.
Lofunzo

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:43 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I won't take the bait but they do.

alrighty then..
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby smoovethug » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:26 am

Whether the rumored deal for Hansen gets done or not, I still see it being a CBC with Flash gone. Rhodes has been downright TERRIBLE, IMO, and walks way too many batters to be an effective closer. Mathiason is dubbed as the closer of the future because of his nice 1-2 punch with a nice heater and good slider. He also has a great makeup that could serve him well when/if he steps into that role. Cormier and Fultz have both been effective when used this year so they could get their shots in there as well. Messy situation if you ask me.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers